SOLVED + TRUCK PICS: Truck Starts On Ether, But Wont Stay Running? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOLVED + TRUCK PICS: Truck Starts On Ether, But Wont Stay Running?

FullBlownModz

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 and 97 solid axle exes
TRUCK PICS AND SOLUTION AT THE BOTTOM OF THE THREAD!
Okay, so my truck would always start right up, but i would have to give it gas the first 2 mins of turning it on. The truck would stall out if i did not give it gas. Never really a problem for me since this is a mud truck.

Flash forward to me getting home from college. The truck has been sitting for a few months again, usually starts right up, but now i have no start.

I checked and cleaned IAT, CTS, IAC, and TPS. Fuel pressure was about 20psi and not holding pressure. Figued it was the cheap fuel pump that i have already replaced twice in a year. So, I put in a new, quality pump yesterday and still nothing.

The truck starts, revs up to 3k then stalls out with ether. It sounds really rough when it does run for that short time. Im stumped. If yall could help me out, I would appreciate it! Just took out the MAF to clean it up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I would clean the MAF for sure. Bad MAF can cause that.

If your fuel pressure is good, I would check the throttle body -- the idle screw on the passenger side. Sometimes the screw falls out, or threads itself out to the point where the throttle plate isn't open enough at idle.

Yes I would clean the MAF for sure. Bad MAF can cause that.

If your fuel pressure is good, I would check the throttle body -- the idle screw on the passenger side. Sometimes the screw falls out, or threads itself out to the point where the throttle plate isn't open enough at idle.
I just cleaned the MAF with electrical contact cleaner, and it made no difference. Ill check the idle screw, but the thing stalls out when I floor it for the few seconds it does turn over. I just checked over the vacuum hoses, but i didnt change anything since i last parked it.

I don't like that your system isn't holding pressure. Can you talk more about how fast it goes down? It shouldn't go down much over a few hours. If it does, then I'm thinking pressure regulator or maybe leaking injectors, leaning towards the regulator. There is a vacuum line going to the regulator too, I'm going to have to mull that over for a while as a possible issue.

I don't like that your system isn't holding pressure. Can you talk more about how fast it goes down? It shouldn't go down much over a few hours. If it does, then I'm thinking pressure regulator or maybe leaking injectors, leaning towards the regulator. There is a vacuum line going to the regulator too, I'm going to have to mull that over for a while as a possible issue.
Ill check the pressure again in the morning. Before i replaced the fuel pump, it would pressurize up to about 20psi then drop steadily. It would drop to about 10psi within like 5 mins. I replaced the pump thinking it was bad, but i still have no start. The vac hose going to the regulator is dry, but im starting to think the regulator is a viable option. I also replaced the fuel filter not long ago. The injectors dont seem to be leaking.

So far, I have done the following:
Tested IAT resistance as good
Tested CTS resistance as good
New fuel pump
The TPS and IAC are assumed good, but could be tested.

I need to:
Recheck fuel pressure- could be the regulator or clogged filter
Test TPS

Swap the fuel pump relay with the WOT relay in the power box under the hood. If that fixes it get a real Ford relay, not a cheap generic one. There IS a difference.

That's not a bad pressure drop, really. The fuel system is pretty rigid and not a lot of volume, so a 10psi drop in 5 minutes works out to a tiny volume leaked. It would not cause your problem. I would definitely go to the fuel relay next, it's a super easy check, and it fits the symptoms.

Ill check out the relay, but could it be the culprit even though i hear the fuel pump priming?

Well I think I found out the problem... bad gas!! Before i replaced the fuel pump, I siphoned the gas into my other explorer, and now neither explorer will start up :rolleyes:

EDIT: I took off the fuel filter and the gas also looks like it contains water, but I did add seafoam to the tank.

EDIT2: Put heet in both explorer fuel tanks. The explorer i siphoned gas into started right up. The mud truck explorer that this post is about starts without ether now, but the FPR IS BUZZING. Off to the jy for a replacement?

EDIT3: Went to the jy and got a FPR. It still makes a buzzing sound, and the truck doesnt start still. Maybe it was already bad? Im going to measure fuel pressure again. Im losing hope with this damn thing, but there isnt much that could be bad!

If it's bad gas you could have stuck/bad injectors. One of the tests is to connect your fuel pressure gauge, turn the key to the run position to pressurize the system. Disconnect the fuel pump relay and try to start the truck. You should see the fuel pressure drop as you crank.

I've found the IAC to be frequently problematic and sometime causing the problems you mention. But also high idle, starting but not staying running etc. I had a problem once that it would start but I'd have to pump the accelerator to keep it running until it warmed up enough. Honestly, they're only about $40 on rockauto. They get stupid dirty and even though the solenoid may be fine, they either don't open all the way or don't close and seal properly.

If it's bad gas you could have stuck/bad injectors. One of the tests is to connect your fuel pressure gauge, turn the key to the run position to pressurize the system. Disconnect the fuel pump relay and try to start the truck. You should see the fuel pressure drop as you crank.

I've found the IAC to be frequently problematic and sometime causing the problems you mention. But also high idle, starting but not staying running etc. I had a problem once that it would start but I'd have to pump the accelerator to keep it running until it warmed up enough. Honestly, they're only about $40 on rockauto. They get stupid dirty and even though the solenoid may be fine, they either don't open all the way or don't close and seal properly.

Solved the problem, but thanks for the help!
The main culprit: BAD GAS!!
I must have gotten a tank of bad gas before going off to college. I added 2 more bottles of HEET (bad gas treatment) for a total of 4 bottles. It started right up haha :burnout:

:pics:

JAtTDq9.jpg

L4njE28.jpg

o1C7hjb.jpg

Back