Need to replace water pump. What else should I do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to replace water pump. What else should I do?

bryansr

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer
So I'm pretty sure the water pump is leaking on my 98 EB SOHC with 162k miles, and was checking eBay for one and found kits with the pump, timing chain, gears, tensioners, seals, etc. While I'm in there, what else should be done? I've heard of problems with the tensioners, so once I'm to that point, is it a big deal to replace them? Thanks, Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dude, if the W/P is shot, just change it. It's quite easy to do on a SOHC. If your timing chains are quiet now, I'd leave them alone. Changing those parts is a major job (major like pulling the engine out of the truck) and you may end up with problems you didn't have to begin with.

As far as what I'd consider doing while changing the w/p...
- New serpentine belt
- New belt tensioner w/pulley
- New idler pulleys
- New plastic radiator fan (if the ever present cracks are excessive)
- New fan clutch (maybe)
- New thermostat if you haven't changed it in a while

Yeah, I've been looking at it for a while because I wasn't sure if it was the water pump or possibly a head gasket leaking. AF was running along the side of the head, but I'm hoping it's coming from the pump. I'd feel better if I could actually see AF coming from the weep hole, but I can't even find it. Everything but my Fan & Fan Clutch are relatively new (within the last 40k miles). Didn't realize the tensioners are such a major job, won't be tackling that this time around......

Yeah, I've been looking at it for a while because I wasn't sure if it was the water pump or possibly a head gasket leaking. AF was running along the side of the head, but I'm hoping it's coming from the pump. I'd feel better if I could actually see AF coming from the weep hole, but I can't even find it. Everything but my Fan & Fan Clutch are relatively new (within the last 40k miles). Didn't realize the tensioners are such a major job, won't be tackling that this time around......

Just the tensioners aren't hard to change, but the chain cassettes are where the engine must come out. If you don't have TC noise I still wouldn't fool with it.

If you've got coolant running alongside the head, my money is on the t-stat housing leaking. I had a shop tell me I needed a new head gasket when I asked them to try and find a leak while the truck was in for an alignment. That's when I turned to this forum and learned about the problematic t-stat housings...and, I fixed it myself.

I recently had coolant running down the passenger side of my head down onto the exhaust. Turns out that the heater hose was worn through just from rubbing against the other one. Might be worth looking at that as well.

The lower t-stat housing is prone to leaking on the SOHC engine. It cracks and then leaks. That could very well be the source of your leak. Many threads on this subject.

I have a few posts on the topics over the last 2 years.

So i had done my t-stat housing about a year ago. it was a pain in the pain for my 2000 SOHC. I trace it back to the issue was really from the original owner requesting the t-stat be replaced and an over torque, and or coolant getting into one of the bolt wells. Mine was not cracked per se, but suffered damage during routine maintenance, in my opinion. My version was like $500-700 at ford, and hard to match up too. I found a decent one at junkyard for 5 bucks. In fact I was at one today and seen a good one, i.e no scarring of leaks. I may pull that one if they charge me 5 bucks again. Being yours is a 98, i think your sensors in the housing are different than mine so hopefully your parts would be much cheaper. I think my sensors are more really molded into the housing so my part includes all that stuff new, hence a high costs vs others where the sensors are clipped in and removable. These housing seem to fail at the "glued" joints. I think many have maybe 3 layers that are glued together and failures typically appear there. On mine, one of the three bolt sleeves failed, hence not securing the upper housing and allowing a leak.

in doing the job, i think i damaged my upper neck on my radiator during removal of upper house... had to replace that soon after. Probably Should have simply bite the bullet and cut that hose and replaced it rather than trying to save it since it had never been off before. I replaced a few small connecting hoses to the housing as space was too tight to try and remove so I just cut them off.

As usual when I see cooling systems start to have issues, it ends up snowballing, one thing after another for some time as fixes get pressures back up to 16lb, i think, then the next weak link goes.

right now i have a very slight leak maybe from the water pump gasket... i cant see it and have tried 2 now to find it (pressure tester). when I loosen the cap to half pressure it barely leaks. Its leaking on my right front somewhere. I feel that the only good way i have to verify exactly what it is would be to first pull out my alternator and idler pulley mount assembly. And btw, if your set up is like mine, thats the best approach to doing the t-stat housing for some access and removing an alternator harness that crosses over the housing. Also, if like my 2000, a few items on the right side will need unbolted to get out of the way for a clean removal and replacement. A fuel line and the heater lines, just my quick remembrance.

If you do the housing, yes, absolutely do the left bank cam tensioner, i did as i was in there and the access was optimal. those tensioners are to have a service interval of 60k as i understand it. I did mine at 140k+. I did the other right bank one as well.

Good Luck.

btw, forget ebay and just use rock auto. get motorcraft parts

theres a company called
green sales company
that liquidates dealer stock... they are in cincinnati, call them

Inspecting all the grounding wires would be good to do.

I found these two vids enlightening:

When my original radiator finally went at 250,000, I replaced the WP at the same time since it's only a $40 part and there was space with the rad out.

I still haven't changed the water pump because I wasn't entirely sure that's what was leaking. Since the radiator would never leak down to the water pump level, I figured it was coming from somewhere else but could never find it. Then on my way home one night last week, the engine had spiked to the upper end of the temp range and just as I pulled off the road the check gauge light came on, and it had blown coolant all over the top of the engine. I tore into it today, and found the thermostat housing nipple going to the heater core was broken off so I'm now looking for a replacement. I hope this was the lesser leak I had and it just got worse, athough not sure what would cause the nipple to break off. Anyone ever hear of this happening to anybody else?

Any recommendations for an aluminum one? Mine's a '98 SOHC, and it seems '01 and up housings are easy to find, but the hose on the upper thermostat housing points the wrong direction, and many people just use their old plastic upper housing.

Thanks, Bryan

If you let it leak down to the water pump level you are asking for major trouble.

Does anyone know if an aluminum thermostat housing for 01 and up 4.0 SOHC will bolt up to a '98? If the only difference is that the neck points another direction, I can put my original plastic upper part on it.

Donalds, thanks for the info, I ordered one for the 01-11 Explorer and going to switch out the upper spout.

I can't wait to get the old Explorer back on the road, getting tired of driving (and parking) my F250....

UPDATE: I got the aluminum housing from eBay and it bolted right up, but I did have a little problem with the heater hose. The nipple was a little farther over and the existing hose would not reach so I had to put another one on it.

The ultimate failure of the original plastic housing was when the nipple for the heater hose broke off, and when I removed the broken piece from the hose it disintegrated in my hand. I've been running water in it for a week to verify there were no more leaks, and will replace with coolant today.

Thanks to all for the help!!

UPDATE: I got the aluminum housing from eBay and it bolted right up, but I did have a little problem with the heater hose. The nipple was a little farther over and the existing hose would not reach so I had to put another one on it.

The ultimate failure of the original plastic housing was when the nipple for the heater hose broke off, and when I removed the broken piece from the hose it disintegrated in my hand. I've been running water in it for a week to verify there were no more leaks, and will replace with coolant today.

Thanks to all for the help!!

20180708_130555.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Properly disposing plastic crap

20180708_153859_Burst22.jpg

20180708_154105.jpg

Back