Window Tinting | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tinting

....... it would be helpful if people can include their model and year when posting the tint %.
The model (trim) and year is shown in the margin. That is one reason I'm constantly checking and reminding members about adding that "Required" info.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got my wife's done the other day. The best bet is to not go in with a specific number in mind for tint %. Different manufactures percentages are different from brand to brand. If the shop is any good they will be able to look at it and match it as close as possible if thats what you are after. I can't remember my exact percent for the fronts but its an almost perfect "match."

Well, I'm getting mine tinted as we speak. Going for 27%. We'll see how it works out. I'm not sure if I'll post pics today. It snowed last night and the Explorer is filthy dirty right now lol

I believe I had 15% put all around. The tint over the factory glass makes it look like limo and the driver and passenger side windows are dark but you can still see in on a bright and sunny day.

For those of you that are getting tint for heat reducing properties, remember the factory privacy glass does not offer any heat reduction properties so you might want to get at least a light tint put over those.

Ditto, factory tint doesn't block UV rays. To protect the interior, there is a very light tint that's around 90%, several brands make one. I put that on the windshield of my 91 Lincoln, and it's great at all times. It even helps at night with oncoming bright lights and fog lights.

I'm going to try that over my OEM tint on one truck, and match it on the front windows, and see if that's likeable for night driving. I wasn't happy with the tint which was on my prior 90 Lincoln, I'd guess it was about 35%, too dark at night to see behind.

Does anyone have any pictures of their front window top strip tinted? Bonus points for it being done on a black explorer! Here in the great state of VA you are only allowed to tint the front window down to the "AS1" line. I have my front side windows tinted (not crazy dark, just enough to match the rears) and was wondering if getting the front strip would look good or silly. I know that will be a matter of opinion, I think I have seen too many "ricers" in the area with the ugly purple or silver tint along the front top strip which adds to my concern of it looking silly?

Does anyone have any pictures of their front window top strip tinted? Bonus points for it being done on a black explorer! Here in the great state of VA you are only allowed to tint the front window down to the "AS1" line. I have my front side windows tinted (not crazy dark, just enough to match the rears) and was wondering if getting the front strip would look good or silly. I know that will be a matter of opinion, I think I have seen too many "ricers" in the area with the ugly purple or silver tint along the front top strip which adds to my concern of it looking silly?
In Canada, no aftermarket tinting is allowed below the AS1 line. In the U.S. see the following; Can I tint my Front windshield legally?

Peter

I had my first Lincoln done with the strip at the top of the windshield. It was very noticeable, and it was only the 50% I think. Since there is already a tint there, to do it again I would only go with a lighter shade, what is just above 50%? That would look better(less contrasting) than a normal level(darker with the OEM tint).

I got the front tinted to the legal limit for my state (27%). I’m guessing the rear factory tint for MY 18 is 20%.

It’s not a perfect match, but it doesn’t look bad. I could have gone darker, but want to keep this thing legal.

05029497-5385-492F-BA6D-76F4BD8CA186.jpeg

0F296D9D-E81D-4AF3-85B4-83297F215A21.jpeg

140F53F7-038D-4566-A363-E39D19897F6D.jpeg

That looks really good with the blue

Very nice looking Explorer!

Back