• Register Today It's free!

dropping the gas tank

damnford

Reaction score
City, State
pine city washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer eddibouere
on a 94 exploder, his sending unit doesn't work so it is the gauge or the sender. it sat for about three or four years so i am assuming the sender., but i cannot find the electrical connector or the ground wire we will change the filter Tuesday because it is the original. and it cannot pull itself up on the ramps it just backfires and dies. kind of embarrassing when the women come out to see how it is going and it backfires and dies. it will reves up just fine until you put it in gear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fuel pressure before going into the tank. Change the fuel filter first thing though, an old or clogged filter can create many symptoms.

If that fuel was not pure gas, as in ethanol added, it's probably bad and you are very lucky that the engine started at all. If the gas is that old, I'd assume it's bad and not risk running it through the engine at all. I've disconnected my fuel filter line before and jumped power at the pump relay, to pump all the old old gas out. I used that gas for lawn mowing that one time, happily it was only about four gallons. It was a slightly different/darker color of gas than new pump gas.

I do have a brand new 1st gen pump assembly I never used. I removed the pump to put on a 255lt/hr unit for my bigger engine, but changed plans. I left the assembly untouched in a box, I may not have anything but that though, no instructions or original Ford box.

he is planning to get a new filter Tuesday just because it has been sitting for so long, and some injector cleaner.

I wouldn’t change the filter, and then run that old gas through it. After 3 years, it’s almost surely a green, gummy mess. I’d pull the filter and purge it as CDW6212R suggested by jumping the relay. (Or with the line open it would likely purge out with the key on, since it wouldn’t ever build pressure)

As for the gauge not working, the most likely cause is the sender float has failed and the arm is on the bottom of the tank. The other possibilities are wiring/ground, gauge, and the 'anti-slosh module' plugged into the back of the instrument panel. I've had two of those four issues on our '92 XLT. Test and repair procedures are fully described on this site.

You can use a wire jumper. If you put the relay part number in google, there will be diagrams.

dropped the tank yesterday and the float was full of gasoline and down in the well where the pump sits was a bunch of dirt and i bypassed the relay and drained 10 gallons of gas out of the tank. it runs pretty good in the lawn mower,so he is getting a new pump with a limited lifetime warrenty from car quest for 100 bucks complete.

Just my $0.02 but I wouldn't run it in a lawn mower or any other small engine, carburetor rebuilding and adjusting is not fun. Both of my new(er) yard machines have strong warnings about using old or bad gasoline. Many boat repair yards have a way to dispose of bad gas, and a few auto stores have suggestions of where to properly dispose of it.

that's what i figured too but he had just put it in the tank along with seafoam and he is cheap/poor

he is still waiting to buy the pump. we also need to get the little spring in the fuel line. i got the ignition to work it was a bad connection in the power distribution box i cranked it over and my spark tester started to fall and i reached out to grab it and felt it all through my body . it took my heart a while to slow down.

he is still waiting to buy the pump. we also need to get the little spring in the fuel line. i got the ignition to work it was a bad connection in the power distribution box i cranked it over and my spark tester started to fall and i reached out to grab it and felt it all through my body . it took my heart a while to slow down.

Yow! I hate when that happens:eek:

The real white lighting.

Back