Broken Outside Mirror | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Outside Mirror

I broke both my mirrors in two separate car accidents in my 2017 Sport. One was my fault, one was the other guys fault. The part cost for just the mirror assembly was $750CDN for the passenger side, and nearly $1100CDN for the driver side. And then you have to get it painted "Ford Black" for the Sport too, which is extra, plus installation, etc. It's a monopoly...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the new glass today. I reused the heating element.

There are eight clips that hold the mirror to the motor. Pop them carefully, then unplug the two wires for the heating element.

Carefully remove the glass and heating element from the plastic, then remove the glass from the heating element. It is glass, so be careful and wear gloves.

I used a Loctite super glue to attached the heating element to the glass, and then to the plastic. Let it dry for a couple of hours, then popped it back on.

IMG_20170624_131855.jpg

The clips are around the circle in the center.

IMG_20170624_131900.jpg

Back of the heating element.

IMG_20170624_131909.jpg

Glass side of the heating element.

IMG_20170624_131913.jpg

New glass.

IMG_20170624_133056.jpg

Glued back together.

IMG_20170624_163716.jpg

Installed.

There is just something about wives hitting things. Mine clipped a mailbox on the passenger side in our 2016 Explorer Sport that we've only had for 2 months. Sigh. When she hit the mailbox, it just pushed the mirror to the fold position. Unfortunately, it broke the casing of the blinker (still works) but I ordered a new blinker from Tasca. Now, the dilemma is how in the hell do I get the blinker replaced without having to take a part the mirror (and risk breaking it)?

There is just something about wives hitting things. Mine clipped a mailbox on the passenger side in our 2016 Explorer Sport that we've only had for 2 months. Sigh. When she hit the mailbox, it just pushed the mirror to the fold position. Unfortunately, it broke the casing of the blinker (still works) but I ordered a new blinker from Tasca. Now, the dilemma is how in the hell do I get the blinker replaced without having to take a part the mirror (and risk breaking it)?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There is a video in post #16 that seems to show the electrical connection inside the mirror. The signal lamp part runs about $65 but I haven't found anything on how to remove it. It looks like it may just snap into place but that is just a guess. https://parts.levittownfordparts.co...=explorer&p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all
I seem to recall that another member had to replace theirs as well.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There is a video in post #16 that seems to show the electrical connection inside the mirror. The signal lamp part runs about $65 but I haven't found anything on how to remove it. It looks like it may just snap into place but that is just a guess. https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/?mid=0&parent=0&pg=2&search_str=mirror+turn+signal&scat=&year=2016&make=ford&model=explorer&p=catalog&mode=search&search_in=all
I seem to recall that another member had to replace theirs as well.

Peter

Thanks!

Yea, I have the part. It looks like I may have to take the mirror glass off

I should have known not to drive before having my morning coffee, but this morning as I was backing out of my garage I hit the passenger side mirror on the garage opening and broke part of the housing and the turn signal on my 2017 XLT. Mind you, I just got it back from the shop because my father in law backed into it in his driveway. I've had this thing 2 months!

I've been searching the google and this forum and am really just looking for some confirmation. I think I have the answer, but perhaps there is something I've missed or someone who has a better creative solution.

I can find the turn signal light part BB5Z1374A no problem. From my research thus far, correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to replace the cracked piece I have to order a whole new side mirror at around $400-500. Seems crazy to spend that kind of money on a broken piece of plastic, when all the other components function perfectly.

I read on one of these forums that on an older model, someone bought the base model mirror and then replaced the piece they needed since the housing is universal no matter how feature heavy the mirror is. Does this sound like a viable option? See picture of the piece I'm looking to replace.

Anyone have a better solution?

IMG_7242_copy.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

Yea, I'm pretty sure it can be removed. I was able to pop part of it open and it has clips that hold it on. That parts diagram is the only one I've been able to find. Trouble is, the part I need isn't numbered.

I wish I could blame mine on wife but I did it myself. Dealership in Houston wanted $900 to rep lair. I started searching eBay and found the whole mirror assembly with side sensor just like what was installed for @ $350.

Easiest repair ever. Pulled triangle panel on inside vehicle, 3 bolts and one electrical connector. Took me all of 5 minutes.

Keith

Don't know how but the mirror is cracked down the middle. Blind spot still lights up but the crack is distracting my wife and she wants to replace it. Any ideas on most cost efficient ways to do so? Can I just replace the glass? Should I get from Ford or any ideas of where to get cheaper? Thanks much. Happy New year.

Don't know how but the mirror is cracked down the middle. Blind spot still lights up but the crack is distracting my wife and she wants to replace it. Any ideas on most cost efficient ways to do so? Can I just replace the glass? Should I get from Ford or any ideas of where to get cheaper? Thanks much. Happy New year.
Your profile shows you have 2003 Honda Odyssey. ?? Please update with current Ford Explorer year and trim level (base, XLT, etc.). Thank you.

Peter

I was backing up today and cracked my driver side mirror turn signal. The plastic cover is a little loose and i am not sure if puddle lamp needs to be changed or not, because its hanging out a little. Plastic cover does not seem to be cracked. only the mirror turn signal.
I hope I don't have to change the whole mirror.

I might as well order some nice LED puddle lamps. I was reading this post and also checking online but could not find how to change mirror turn signal light on XP. Some here said that I have to buy the whole mirror ($700). Or maybe I can replace it the signal myself. Should I start with gently removing the mirror part or should I start by ripping off the cover that surrounds that turn signal?

For those who want to replace the turn signal, it’s possible. I’ve done it before. You have to remove the glass while it’s still on the car as it’s easiest while on.

Then you take the whole assembly off the vehicle and go to town. You will have to remove the motor. I would suggest getting the helm manual, it has a breakdown for repair.

Keep in mind that it will be difficult to get the turn signal out if the assembly if you have it something as it lines up into the assembly.

Some jerk hit mine after I replaced my turn signal about a month later and had to replace the whole assembly anyway. They didn’t leave a note. The new assembly was like 400 dollars but was way easier to fix.

I did the same thing with mine... broke the mirror, cracked the plastic housing. I was able to easily replace the whole outside mirror. Versus the dealership wanting close to $900.

BB5Z-17683-EAPTM

Mirror Outside

$377.31
(Not Taxable)

$377.31

Subtotal:

$377.31

Shipping (UPS - Ground):

$26.22

Total:

$403.53

Company Information
Tasca Parts,
66 Stamp Farm Rd
Cranston, Rhode Island, 02921
USA
1-800-598-1484
parts@tascaparts.com

I did the same thing with mine... broke the mirror, cracked the plastic housing. I was able to easily replace the whole outside mirror. Versus the dealership wanting close to $900.

BB5Z-17683-EAPTM
That part does not fit a 2016 Explorer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those who want to replace the turn signal, it’s possible. I’ve done it before. You have to remove the glass while it’s still on the car as it’s easiest while on.

Then you take the whole assembly off the vehicle and go to town. You will have to remove the motor. I would suggest getting the helm manual, it has a breakdown for repair.

Keep in mind that it will be difficult to get the turn signal out if the assembly if you have it something as it lines up into the assembly.

Some jerk hit mine after I replaced my turn signal about a month later and had to replace the whole assembly anyway. They didn’t leave a note. The new assembly was like 400 dollars but was way easier to fix.

I just found out instructions. I am glad I don't have to buy the whole mirror.

Hello, how do you install this led lamp on to the mirror housing!? Intrested I’m buying this for my drivers side.

You have to remove the glass first you raise it up ward there are 4 locking tabs you release with a straight screw driver .Tabs are at 3 oclock 4. 8. and 10 roughly To install the glass hold your hand flat as possible and push in till tabs lock on.

1. remove the mirror motor

2. remove the Mirror Cover (4 Locking tabs inside)

3. remove the puddle lamp

4. release the two tabs and remove the mirror turn signal

Replacemnt is the opposite.

Back