How to: - Explorer 3rd row delete & police package install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer 3rd row delete & police package install

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I'm actually considering doing the opposite of this: buying a PI and adding in the third row. Any thoughts? Looks like plenty of third-row seats are available on eBay, but getting the seatbelts may be the trickier part.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With a $20 Elite membership you should be able to repost all the pictures in your original posts making it much easier for members when checking out those particular threads.

Peter

Just used this thread to install the third row seat conversion for a 2017 Limited. I had a print out including pictures from the OP original posting.
If you get the Ex Service Information CD from Helm, section 501-05 shows details of how to remove the quarter panels, scuff trim panels, and D pillar trim panels.
A tip that I used to reinstall each quarter panel back in place is to find each pin and clip of the plastic quarter panel that fits into the Ex body, and then apply a piece of blue tape on the outside surface to match each location of the pins and clips. Then when you are pressing the quarter panel back in place, you only need to push in on the areas of the blue tape to seat the pins and clips in place.

I just looked at the photos and was wondering how the parts work with the indent in the floor? My 2018 has a raised lip underneath the 3rd row, so it isn't entirely flat. Does the police interceptor use more styrofoam blocks to level the floor? I repurposed my Weathertech trunk liner from my 2014 SHO and put it under the 3rd of seats but I found out there's a lowered part of the floor that prevents the liner from going all the way to the 2nd row of seats. I'm not sure if this is normal on all 11-17 Explorers as well.

Part 2
- - - - -

The brace is now mounted up with all the trim panels re-installed (shown with the original side access covers back in temporarily). The two studs at the front of the brace are used to hold a bracket that is part of the police package, but I left them and nuts there for no real reason (they will be covered anyway). If you don't have the need to add the supports and panels, you could probably even leave everything just like this:

P1040898.JPG

Next up, the foam supports. With the original liner left in the spare tire area, I couldn't wedge the side supports in, so I had to loosen the brace slightly to make some room. The side supports actually each have a clip underneath that holds them in place in the police version, but they aren't present in the civilian versions (and were lost when I bought the parts). I may remove the liner at some point anyway, so if the supports aren't tight, a strip of velcro could come in handy, but for now I left it there. Note the fuel funnel in its new location.

P1040900.JPG

For reference, here is another picture from a PD version that shows all the foam supports and floor panels removed. You can see the forward bracket on the top of the brace (it bolts to the floor pan just behind where the center console would attach if it has that option). I don't think the lack of that bracket in a civilian version is a big deal, but some guys have apparently just cut those studs since they aren't used. Also circled are the forward holes (from the "U"-supports) that will hold those long bolts for the forward floor panel:

IMG_5295.jpg

After all the supports were in, I knew the spare tire cover wouldn't fit, but that was not a big deal since this is just storage now. If I want even more room, I'll just remove the tire and put an inflator kit in there (here is one of those kits for reference - this particular one residing in my Cobra). This is how the complete area looks in the police version with the full-sized spare:

20140815_145811.jpg

This is the underside of the main panel in a PD version I looked at before I acquired my parts. It is pretty beefy:

20140815_145839.jpg

Once the brace was tightened back up, the forward floor panel goes over the top using the two 80mm long bolts. The original "U" supports that came out, again provide one hole for this bolt, you just have to line it up and use an awl to poke a hole in the carpet on each side. After that panel is lined up and snugged down, the larger panel slips right in. You can't see the long filler panel that is right below the latch for the liftgate (has to be removed to get the spare tire cover up), but it had to be left out for the large panel to seat itself.

As an alternative, there is also the Havis (<---Link) steel floor with the hydraulic kit which looks to be very solid and might be adaptable to the civilian versions. It looks as it covers most of the floor and has a space towards the front for a small cabinet or additional floor plate. In any case, its price is slightly less than the plastic floor panels from Ford!

Here is how it everything looks (and cleaned up more after I took the picture):

P1040901.JPG

The area under the forward panel actually has a couple recesses for some more storage, so that is nice too since it also hinges up. I was planning to use some of my black felt to cover most of it so it looks better (especially since someone at the original PD, again, cut a chunk out of the center), but maybe I'll tackle that in the spring. For now, it is fine since it is completely hidden behind the second row:

P1040904.JPG

P1040905.JPG

After that, I tossed my Husky liner back in along with the cargo net and stuck my tool bag and some other odd's and end's under the floor where they will be out of the way.The Husky liner isn't actually a perfect fit since the edges of the floor panels sit a bit lower, but if you are real picky, you can get a new liner for the MKT or Flex (which is rectangular) and it will probably sit down nicely. The picture below shows how my Husky liner fit with the original seats folded flat. Note that at its front edge, it was about 4" higher than it will be now with the PD floor:

P1040782.JPG

Cont.

Part 3
- - - - -

One of the bummers about this swap is that you lose the tie-down rings (under the original access covers) that are part of the third-row hinge, shown in the diagram below. There is probably a way to fabricate a piece of steel to match the original end cap on the hinge if you really want the rings, but for now, that is just a minor inconvenience.

Explorer 3rd row hinge.jpg

Here are a couple more views from a new Police Utility showing again how the original stuff looks. I also added the two correct small insert panels but did not take specific pictures (the part numbers are also shown in the first post):

20140815_145802.jpg

In this picture, you can see the empty seat belt slots, and just below the liftgate, the open space is barely visible where the filler panel resides in the civilian versions (must be removed now so the flat panel will fit):

20140815_145729.jpg

Also, here are the Ford diagrams for reference.

Police SUV rear floor.jpg

Police SUV storage.jpg

Any questions at all, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Attachments

• Explorer PD panels.png
    Explorer PD panels.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 190

If you kept the motor assembly for the left 3rd row seat. I am looking forward to huy it from you.

Please contact me or post reply here

oustanding write up ,But I wish I had not read it Because now I want to do it LOL I even found a wrecked PIU at a pull a part by me need to go look if the parts are still there!!! UGH WHAT HAVE YOU DONE HAHA

Glad this thread is still helping out. Definitely a mod I am happy to have undertaken since I do like having the storage space under the floor.

As an update, I did purchase a new liner since the original Husky liner meant for the flat floor fit poorly. What I did was pick up a new one from Maxliner (<----Link) that is for the '09-19 Flex and '10-'17 MKT which fits perfect. I would have gone with the Husky version, but this one had edges that weren't as pronounced (makes it look better back there), and was about half the price.

Here's the new tray as it looks laid flat:

MaxLiner 09-19 Edge.jpg

Installed, with some home-made bungee straps that cross the back to hold anything down that I stash there. The tray hasn't completely flattened out yet since it was a bit cold, but looks much better:

20181126_130043.jpg

I picked up a four-pack of tie-down rings off eBay and bolted them to the front panel bolts, so the straps hook to them nicely and then are attached to the cargo net on the back end (I just usually leave it tucked under the floor so it's handy).

20181126_130118.jpg

I'll eventually bolt the other two down to the mounting points that are under the side covers (they can be used any time if you pop the covers off) since those bolts have a sturdier attachment to the frame. For now, the two towards the front work perfect to hold lighter loads such as boxes, luggage, groceries, etc., and are easy to pop off if I don't need them.

Glad this thread is still helping out. Definitely a mod I am happy to have undertaken since I do like having the storage space under the floor.

As an update, I did purchase a new liner since the one I showed two posts back, while decent, was a bit small and slid all over the place. What I did was pick up a new one from Maxliner (<----Link) that is for the '09-19 Flex and '10-'17 MKT which fits perfect. I would have gone with the Husky version, but this one had edges that weren't as pronounced (makes it look better back there), and was about half the price.
Looks a lot like the cargo liner I had for my 2014 MKT except that the MKT liner has a raised edge all the way around. I still use it in combination with my OEM Explorer liner when carrying things with the 2nd row folded.

Peter

First, I want to THANK the author of this write-up, for not only his great work documenting this project in a how-to manner, but for the detail that he provided! His details, especially in providing a complete list of the parts needed for the conversion, are outstanding and GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I am currently doing this conversion on my new 2018 Explorer XLT, as I had no use for the 3rd row seating, but also wanted to keep the compact spare, so I can use the extra space below the deck for storing things I am currently hauling around in a storage bin in the back. This is a great project to clean-up the back and make it the way I really wanted it!

Lastly, I wanted to add a part to his parts list. It was mentioned earlier on that there are two locating pins in the Interceptor version, that are not present in the civilian version. (These pins help secure the two side foam panels in the wheel storage area). After doing my own research, I found that they are listed as follows:

"SIDE PANEL STUD", P/N W716194-S437

2 are required (1 for each side), and they list for around $2.70 each at your local Ford dealers.

While I just ordered them (and have yet to receive them), I will have to wait and see how they are attached, but if it ensures that the foam side panels will remain in place better, I wanted to use them. Hope this helps.

Anyway, thanks again for such a comprehensive (and helpful) write-up!

Apparently, there is a big difference between the depth and circumference of the spare tire well in the PIU and the civilian Explorer, as, after doing my 3rd seat removal project successfully (following the great documentation above), today I thought I would see if one of my full-size backup alloy wheel/tires would fit into where my compact spare sits. While of course the spacing between the foam supports exactly matches that of the PIU, the tire itself would not even begin to drop down into the spare tire well... instead, just sitting on top (and leaving all sorts of room wasted down below it.

I'm baffled as to why Ford would not just install the same larger spare tire pan inside the back of all Explorers, thereby giving any owner the option of someday upgrading to a full-size spare, should they wish to do so.

Here are a couple of "before" and "after" photos of the compact spare versus the full-sized rim/tire... and there's not enough Vaseline in the world to make that full-size tire drop down into that hole!

View attachment 168339

Cargo Area Conversion Pic14.JPG

Full-Size Spare That Doesn't Fit.jpg

I get an error when clicking on the View Attachment link. I'm guessing that like most manufacturers the mini spare is used to reduce weight. I hope that you don't intend to just leave the full size spare laying in the back. Can you imagine the destruction that would cause in case of an accident?

Peter

Hello:

I'm not sure what that "link" is supposed to be there for, since my two photos are already embedded in my posting.

Also, no, I put my compact spare back in there; I was just trying to see if keeping a full-size spare in there was at all feasible... and apparently it's not!

The first time I viewed your post there were no pictures. Just the link.:dunno:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Apparently, there is a big difference between the depth and circumference of the spare tire well in the PIU and the civilian Explorer, as, after doing my 3rd seat removal project successfully (following the great documentation above), today I thought I would see if one of my full-size backup alloy wheel/tires would fit into where my compact spare sits. While of course the spacing between the foam supports exactly matches that of the PIU, the tire itself would not even begin to drop down into the spare tire well... instead, just sitting on top (and leaving all sorts of room wasted down below it.

I'm baffled as to why Ford would not just install the same larger spare tire pan inside the back of all Explorers, thereby giving any owner the option of someday upgrading to a full-size spare, should they wish to do so.

Here are a couple of "before" and "after" photos of the compact spare versus the full-sized rim/tire... and there's not enough Vaseline in the world to make that full-size tire drop down into that hole!

View attachment 168339

View attachment 168340

View attachment 168341
I am sure this has been discussed before, but the rear floor pan in your 2018 is the exact same one in the PIU according to Ford parts - BB5Z-7811215-A

Hard to tell in your last pic due to lighting, but that looks pretty much how a PIU looks with a full size spare. The PIU spare tire well is just exposed metal - no trim - if you remove the trim from yours, it may affect the fit of your spare. Not sure if will fit "exactly" the same though as the PIU is a 55-series tire and the retail is a 60-series, so slightly wider.

example ->
20161122200134-63d8fc5e-me.jpg

example ->
AA_UpVault2-400x286.jpg

another example here -> FORD Police Stacked Drawer Unit | OPS Public Safety

Back