2013 Power Liftgate Problem. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Power Liftgate Problem.

Hey Peter thanks for the fast response I see you guys are getting hit hard with winter this year on the east coast. Stay warm for sure.
The lift gate wont stay up and I tried all the resets available none worked. When you press the button it just clicks and that's it. You can manually lift the gate up but it's getting hard on the head holding it up while loading things...lol...
I found a replacement lift gate motor on ebay and I'm going that route I think only $240 us so we will see. I'll price it out here first tho.

Cheers Randy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine had to be replaced with under 65k miles, and I know I'm not alone in that.

Ok I replaced the lift gate motor and now it stays up when you manually lift it up. When you press the button (any of them) it unlocks but wont go up. When you have it up and press the button it just stays up.
Any ideas out there???

Cheers Randy

Have you checked the shocks. The motor needs help lifting that heavy of weight so the shocks help it. When the shocks get cold and are old they get weak so th motor strains pretty hard to lift it. I would replace the shocks then go from there.

Have you checked the shocks. The motor needs help lifting that heavy of weight so the shocks help it. When the shocks get cold and are old they get weak so th motor strains pretty hard to lift it. I would replace the shocks then go from there.
Usually if it is bad/weak "shocks" the liftgate won't stay up. Also I don't think it accounts for the 'gate' not closing when the buttons are activated. I can't say for sure though that it may not be the cause. It almost sounds as though the motor isn't doing anything at all. If that is the case, the original motor may not have been defective. Before doing anything at all, I'd confirm that there is actually power going to the motor.

Peter

Ok I replaced the lift gate motor and now it stays up when you manually lift it up. When you press the button (any of them) it unlocks but wont go up. When you have it up and press the button it just stays up.
Any ideas out there???

Cheers Randy
Hey Randy. Have you confirmed that there is power going to the motor as I mentioned in my post above?

Peter

Thanks all after replacing the motor I redid the battery disconnect reset and it's working fine now.
I had tried it prior to replacing the motor and it didn't help and then I forgot to reset it after replacing the motor...oops...lol...
Thanks again for all the suggestions and help...

Cheers Randy

Any ideas out there???

Cheers Randy
When you installed the new motor, how did you access where it plugs in? Did you have to remove interior pieces? How did you do it?

I have my new motor and about to do this repair this weekend.

ya I had to pull back the trim panel at the top of the D pillar to get to it It's not hard. Make sure you do the battery disconnect reset when your done or it might not work.

Cheers Randy

ya I had to pull back the trim panel at the top of the D pillar to get to it It's not hard. Make sure you do the battery disconnect reset when your done or it might not work.

Cheers Randy
Got it installed and working great again! Thanks for the assist.

I have attached an image of the trim piece you will need to semi remove to access the connector plug when removing & installing the lift motor. I was able to pop the top two clips out and then reach in and access the plug.

1.jpg

Back