Sport 170* Thermostat Questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport 170* Thermostat Questions

I'm coming from the Fox Mustang world where for a long time changing the stock thermostat out for a 160 or 180 degree aftermarket part was a universally accepted as a worthwhile modification.

There's not many people now who would recommend going below a 180 since the consensus is that the engine isn't operating at optimal temperature as explained here:

Low Temp Thermostats: What’s the Advantage?

Is there something unique about the EB engines that make a 160 thermostat a good idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A little late but Welcome to the Forum lotzatoys.:wave:
Thank you for supporting the Forum through your Elite membership.:thumbsup:

Peter

Is there something unique about the EB engines that make a 160 thermostat a good idea?

I recently installed a 160 degree thermostat from Livernois, and my temps still range from 170 to 190 so I'm not even sure the thermostat is effective. I was also given the tune that would trigger the fans earlier so I'm not quite sure it is effective as well. That being said I haven't stood outside the Ex to see at what temperature the fans kick in to know for sure. For the temperature every once in a while it will drop to 170, and you can visually see a change in the dummy gauge on the dash. I monitor all this through Dash Command so I can get a numeric result.

That makes sense. I'm interested in purchasing the Livernois 93 tune but I don't think I would opt for the thermostat based on your feedback.

I've been selling custom Stant 170° thermostats for several years - mostly to the Mustang & Cobra crowd (same one fits the Explorer). For $38 shipped - the one here - they are a great bang for the buck. Stant is the OE supplier, by the way. No need to pay $60-70, especially since some of them do not fit correctly. the 170 is perfect for these engines since it will allow for a more stable temp. I use the same one in my Whipple-powered Terminator (hence the Termi-Stat name).

Link is in the sig, or here it is ---> T-1

Livernoise seems to sell the tstat with the open box airraid type intake and the 3bar map. I am speculating here that with a non cold air intake and higher boost pressure the engine will run alot hotter thus the need for a lower tstat with lower temp engaging fans. I am not a technician here but i think there is only a couple systems in the whole truck that benefit from the need to be colder rather than hotter.

My concern is that will a 160 or 170 tstat make the truck run cooler and take longer to heat in sub freezing winter temps up here in new England?

Back