NEW A/C, COMPRESSOR WONT ENGAGE! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEW A/C, COMPRESSOR WONT ENGAGE!

Thanks gentlemen! I replaced every fuse in that vehicle and still nothin. I’m not handy with electrical, probably could be but I never gave it the time, but the command for the relay is a great suggestion. I’ll have to start chasing that down so I guess it’s about time I get a manual for the damn truck. Luckily the weather has been unseasonably cool here in Texas for the last several weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got a 2016 ford explorer and the ac doesnt want to engage i put a new compressor on new ac pressure switch new relays and fuses and still nothing im not getting no power to the clutch and the ac control valve isnt getting no ground what is going on

t
i got a 2016 ford explorer and the ac doesnt want to engage i put a new compressor on new ac pressure switch new relays and fuses and still nothing im not getting no power to the clutch and the ac control valve isnt getting no ground what is going on
his is in the 2nd gen subforum, @Rick can it be moved to 5th gen? how is the refrigerant levels? could trip low pressure switch (if 5th gen has it)

Silly question but did you put freon in it already?

So when you jumped the WOT relay all was good.

You put the relay back in service and everything quit?

Therefore you have no "Command" for the WOT relay to go closed.

You may want to check fuses like @koda2000 said or inspect the source of command for the WOT relay.
The system max charge is 30 oz. There is a label on the radiator Support that state that Max charge. the wot relay only changes states in the EEC shutoff the power to the AC compressor. Take a ohm (muti) meter and see if the switch on the accumulator is closed (switch open at low pressure) ( that will show you that you have a charge to start the compressor) than use the ohm meter too test the high pressure switch on the compressor. It would be closed ( opens on high pressure). If both show closed. Than jump the WOT relay ( key on EO). just two terminals power in and power out to ac compressor (On my explorer, the compressor is on top driver side) and watch the clutch plate lock when you provide power. This is all done with the engine off. If the clutch does not engage, tap it to see if locks. If it you need too adjust the clutch gap. ( removing spacer washer). Some time the gap is not set by the manufacturer. The system charge pressure is effective by the outside ambient temperature. If its in the 50 degree F. 9 oz will not turn the AC on. On my friend truck it was 90 degrees outside ambient, the vent outlet temperature was 86 degree and the compressor Was cycling, because of the high ambient temperature. I don't know what state you live in? At that 90 degrees outside ambient the high gauge pressure would be around 225-300. The low side gauges will cycle between 24-43 (I think, I would have too check my log). what I do now is measure the evaporator inlet temperature so I don't overcharge. Also the system oil charge is important, max oil charge is 7 oz. States on the radiator label.

The system max charge is 30 oz. There is a label on the radiator Support that state that Max charge. the wot relay only changes states in the EEC shutoff the power to the AC compressor. Take a ohm (muti) meter and see if the switch on the accumulator is closed( that will show you have a charge to start the compressor) than use the ohm meter too test the switch on the compressor. It would be closed. If both show closed. Than jump the WOT relay ( key on EO). just two terminals power in and power out to ac compressor (On my explorer the compressor is on top driver side) and watch the clutch plate lock when you provide power. This is all done with the engine off. If the clutch does not engage, tap it to see if locks. If it you need too adjust the clutch gap. ( removing spacer washer). Some time the gap is not set by the manufacturer. The system charge pressure is effective by the outside ambient temperature. If its in the 50 degree F. 9 oz will not turn the AC on. On my friend truck it was 90 degrees outside ambient, the vent outlet temperature was 86 degree and the compressor because the high ambient temperature. I don't know what state you live in? At that 90 degrees outside ambient the high gauge pressure would be around 225-250. The low side gauges will cycle between 24-43 (I think, I would check my log). what I do now is measure the evaporator inlet temperature so I don't overcharge. Also the system oil charge is important max oil charge is 7 oz. States on the radiator label.
Fyi the AC System does not run at 100 % when the ambient temperature are in the low temp. It just short cycles with long pauses. I saw that the temperature in your area was in the 50's last week and this week it between 50- 78 degrees I replace my AC system it was in the 40's and it did not want to engage. I went thru the process above I push on the high pressure switch and it engage. After thinking about your pressure you stated, it was in the low 50's in your area. Charge it at 70 degree ambient, the high side pressure should be around 175psi at full charge and blowing in the 40's degree air.

Back