Just got home from buying a 99 explorer have question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got home from buying a 99 explorer have question

crpowell67

Reaction score
City, State
Christopher, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer
As The titles stated I just bought a 99 explorer want to put a new radio in it I Want to have bluetooth in it would it need 6.2" , 6.5", or 7" right now it has a
YU3F-18C868-AA cd/cassette

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the Crutchfield site, they have great application data. But also note that these do not use double DIN radio ... but they can accept them with some very slight trimming of the radio bezel.

This is my stock radio is this not a double din I know it is not a single
lr8hvwS
XqiKOtQ.jpg

After looking at crutchfeild I need a 6.2 to replace the mach audio system. thanks for letting me know about crutchfeild.

It’s a double din

Your stock radio is a very tiny amount away from being a double DIN, but you can install a double DIN with very simple modification as Don suggested above. No big deal at all to adjust the bezel to fit a double DIN bracket, then just pick out whatever radio you want.

I plan to make one fit my 99 Explorer too, the aftermarket double DIN's, DVD and backup camera etc. Lots of members have done it, I never needed to until recently.

Previous owner modded mine for DD then sold it with a stock radio just laying in the hole. When I went to install my single DIN with the bracket the bracket no longer held onto anything. I had to find a used bezel that matched & wasn't torn up.

Yes, the bezel is the only thing holding the radio in, and it's fragile plastic. Many cars have brackets which mount the radio at the sides, to the inner dash structure. I wish we could do that, it would take some work to build bracketry to mount a radio to it instead of the bezel(which should just be trim for the radio).

I did mine just had to zip off a little on the radio bezel now getting ready to install a backup camera

I have alpine iva-w204 unit in mine. I believe it is 6.5in

Back