• Register Today It's free!

Reset oil change display

BSawdo

Reaction score
City, State
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Mustang LX
We just bought a 2007 Ford Explorer and the dealership changed the oil but the display was not reset. In the owners manual and online it says to push select switch located in lower left of speedometer. There is no select switch there. In fact I can’t find any anywhere. On some models I have seen info push buttons on the dash to the left of the traction control but ours only has the 4X4 modes to the right but nothing on the left of traction control switch. It has the optional dash cluster and I don’t know what that means. Thanks for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have the 2 line or the 4 line info display in the cluster?

Mine has the 4 line and the control buttons are to the left of the 4 wheel drive buttons?

It’s the larger display and they are just “dummy” buttons to the left of traction control button. 4X4 Button’s on the right of that button.

14106889-2588-43CF-9B82-1C720553477C.jpeg

Here is my gauge cluster. Standard dash has a selector switch in the lower part of speedometer, the larger display is supposedly the optional cluster. Other pic are the buttons for the 4X4 and traction control. There are no other buttons for info or resetting anything. So how do you get to the tripometers?

EE932880-B8D5-4330-8771-D169306347BD.jpeg

DC3BEFD1-C860-44F8-ACC8-E402B8BBE27D.jpeg

Looks like somebody pulled the panel and put a blank one in it's place.
Some PO had done the same on my '08.

So why the heck did they even have that option. I watched a video explaining how to recalibrate it. I have to find a parking lot and drive in slow circles and have a paper clip handy. It doesn’t sound like it was one of Fords better ideas.

I'd say that either your instrument cluster or your center stack are not original to the vehicle. You should have three buttons where the blanks are - I believe they are setup, info, and reset.

Would a scanning tool be able to reset it?

Found out what the deal is, someone along the line replaced the dash gauge cluster. Stopped by a Ford dealer and they were stumped at first. Then they took down the vin and looked it up. It’s supposed to be the two line display with the select button. A new one from Ford is $400. I am going to look for one at Pull A Part. They wrote down the number that it should have on the back of the cluster so I can make sure I get the right one. When it comes down to it it’s not that big of a deal to reset the oil display or have a trip meter right now. It’s still a beautiful ride, I love it! One thing though, the display on the stereo doesn’t work, stereo works just can’t see the functions. Is that a fuse or should I be looking for another radio? Thanks for the help given so far, I really appreciate it.

Found out what the deal is, someone along the line replaced the dash gauge cluster. Stopped by a Ford dealer and they were stumped at first. Then they took down the vin and looked it up. It’s supposed to be the two line display with the select button. A new one from Ford is $400. I am going to look for one at Pull A Part. They wrote down the number that it should have on the back of the cluster so I can make sure I get the right one. When it comes down to it it’s not that big of a deal to reset the oil display or have a trip meter right now. It’s still a beautiful ride, I love it! One thing though, the display on the stereo doesn’t work, stereo works just can’t see the functions. Is that a fuse or should I be looking for another radio? Thanks for the help given so far, I really appreciate it.
I would pull the cover on the center console and see if the wiring for the buttons is back there. If so, I would find the buttons. Be aware when pulling the center stack face you have to start at the center console. It's well documented here - do a search and you will find instructions. It's not a big deal.

I am still trying to figure out why a gauge cluster was replaced...

I am still trying to figure out why a gauge cluster was replaced...
And whether 161K is the actual mileage......
I know the mileage isn't kept in the cluster but what else was replaced.

On the driver side door white vin sticker, what is the DSO code? I smell a scam! Hey this could be a Sandy or Harvey SUV. Did you do a CARFAX? Dealership like a ford dealership?

And whether 161K is the actual mileage......
I know the mileage isn't kept in the cluster but what else was replaced.
Very good question. Me thinks this might be a scam

I will check those things but the mirror isn’t the compass one. No wires no place to reset it. Thanks guys.

I believe all of the various trim levels had a compass.

I think you are missing the main point here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also note that replacing the cluster will require a visit to the dealer for reprogramming. This is due to the PATS system being integral to the cluster.

Back