2014 Ford Ex Sport Back window blows out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Ex Sport Back window blows out

Mr Pink

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
This morning as usual I auto start my Ex from inside my house to have it warm up for a few mins before I drive it.
After about 3 mins of having the Ex running, I then get into the car close the door and a few seconds later my back window just blows out for no reason.
Anyone have any experience or have heard of this happening before?
Ford is closed today, so I'll be there bright and early tomorrow.
I'm located in so cal, weather was about 60* when window blew out.
Any info please.
Thanks

IMG_20180429_085830.jpg

IMG_20180429_085836.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Google "ford explorer back window shatter" and you'll find out you are not the only this has happened to, but not sure how common it is or not.

I've been researching it a bit, looks like it was common with the f150's a few years back. Also the escapes from 2010 was a big issue. Been reading a few stories about the explorers s well.

I wouldn't say it is common, but tempered glass has been known to spontaneously break in vehicles and non-vehicle installations. Mercedes has had issues with pano roof glass doing the same, as have other car makers.

Be prepared to pay out of pocket or go through your own insurance though as glass breakage is hit or miss with any dealer - good luck.

I’ve never had it happen in a vehicle in warm weather. I’ve had it happen a few times in cold weather when the defrost was on and the vehicle had some lingering ice. As others have noted, on rare occasions, tempered glass can occasionally have spontaneous bursting events like this, especially if it has multiple panes. Our building at work blows through a few windows a year that way. And that’s just due to weather, with a vehicle we probably would miss a small crack or other damage to the rear window, as you don’t look at it closely, and they’re usually dirtier than the rest of the car, so this happens without any warning.

I wouldn’t expect Ford to cover it. Maybe if the vehicle was very, very new (like a few weeks), but they’re going to view it as something that environmental factors (road damage, a stray rock, a neighbor kid with a ball) could have caused over the four years the vehicle has been on the road.

Appreciate all the info, headed to Ford now.

You should just call your insurance and get that over with, your Ford dealer or Ford isn't going to cover this on a 4 year old vehicle.

Not a back window but a co-worker had the same thing happen to his sun roof on a 1 year old escape. Ford denied a claim as a rock chip weakling the structure. Guess we will never know.

I thought there was another incident in this forum but haven't found it. That led to a discussion about how the air pressure is released when the door is closed to prevent incidents like yours. I'm guessing that the dealer will likely tell you that it's an insurance issue now. BTW, at 60 degrees here we are in shorts and 't' shirts. Good luck and let us know what the dealer says. Thanks.

Peter

Turned the Ex Sport into Ford. Service advisor says that no recalls or bullentions are listed for this issue. He also claims that he's seen this issue on Ford explorers but only in colder climates.
Ford is going to check the memory and sensors for any faults. If they do find something that could cause the window to blow out they'll cover the repairs. Very unlikely tho.

Vehicle Coverage is through the godawful CarMax extended warranty plan that basically doesn't cover much of anything (what a waste of money that was).
Just waiting to hear back from Ford to see whats up.

..........Vehicle Coverage is through the godawful CarMax extended warranty plan that basically doesn't cover much of anything (what a waste of money that was).
Just waiting to hear back from Ford to see whats up.
If it makes you feel any better, the Ford PremiumCare ESP also does not cover glass. I'm sure this will turn out to be an insurance issue.

Peter

If it makes you feel any better, the Ford PremiumCare ESP also does not cover glass. I'm sure this will turn out to be an insurance issue.

Peter
In which case you might as well just replace out of pocket and not go through insurance since your deductible is likely higher than the cost of the glass replacement!

Is this rear glass hinged so it can open with the hatch closed?

The rear glass is not hinged on the 5th generation Explorer (2011-present). It’s a fixed panel.

So Ford went ahead and installed the new back window. After installing the window, Ford went ahead and diagnosed the Ex and didn't end up finding anything wrong as far as codes or a malfunctioning defroster of anysorts. So with no proof of any malfuction, ended up having to shell out 400$:(
Service rep also claimed that the defrosters don't turn on with remote start. I've been seeing online in a few places that it does and also my window broke. Can anyone confirm that defrosters turn on during remote start?

So Ford went ahead and installed the new back window. After installing the window, Ford went ahead and diagnosed the Ex and didn't end up finding anything wrong as far as codes or a malfunctioning defroster of anysorts. So with no proof of any malfuction, ended up having to shell out 400$:(

Glad you’ve got it fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Service rep also claimed that the defrosters don't turn on with remote start. I've been seeing online in a few places that it does and also my window broke. Can anyone confirm that defrosters turn on during remote start?

The operation of your 2014’s remote start in relation to things like climate control and heated mirrors/windows is detailed in the climate control section of your manual, and I suggest you confirm it there, but it depends on which system you have. It may come on, it may not, depending on several factors including the system type and the outdoor temperature. Regardless, the nature of the system is so simple that any cause of the issue almost certainly lies in the window itself, either damage (even invisible damage can cause a window like this to break, and the vehicle had four years to accumulate some small damage) or defect, even if somehow the defroster kicking in DID cause thermal expansion that cracked the window. For reference, the version of the 2014 manual (1st printing) I’m looking at has the relevant portion of the climate control settings at pp 153-154.

Back