What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 76 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

MagneticCharm, I found it at my friendly local auto zone. Good luck and please post some pictures when you are finished.

Last time I hit up my neighborhood Auto Zone they only had black, white and clear.:rant:Stopped in to my local Pep Boys last night and found it. They had the largest assortment of Plasti-Dip of anyplace else in my area. Not sure why I haven't bothered checking there before now. :crazy:

I picked up two cans of the Black Sapphire, the name of the color is very tiny but right above the bar code on the can. The Selenite Gray was way too light, and in the store I was concerned that the Black Sapphire was too dark, however holding the cap up to the bumper proved the Black Sapphire was the way to go.

Hopefully Saturday I can work on the chrome liftgate trim, mirror caps and possibly the roof rails. Think I am going to fully remove the 'XLT' and 'FlexFuel' badging. If those go well the grill will get removed and sprayed next. I'll see what I can do about getting pics.

Thanks for posting your pictures... it was the motivation I was needing!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally got my KMC Wishbone rims on that ordered before Christmas. Last time I went to the shop to do it I didn't have the center rings, so I had to order those first and then make another appointment (in Europe they don't stock anything like that) :p. I didn't want to put them on my winter tires anyway, they got the old stock steel rims instead. Of course, after all this time and shop visits, I forgot that I need TPMS sensors as well, which I now need to order. Luckily the shop said "get em and we'll put them on for free". Anyone have recommendations for 2012 XLT TPMS sensors? From Etis it looks like I'm on 315 mhz. I have a feeling the "stock" Ford ones cost three times as much as others. Seems to be a gigantic selection out there too.

jsVo5r4.jpg

Edit: Thule Canyon XT roof box came on last week

I did not look hard enough for the color names, thanks. I got a can of the of the black sapphire but when I actually tested it on a extra emblem it was way too dark. The selenite gray was the closest and as you build up the coats it gets a little darker. You can’t always trust the color on the caps & labels. Thankyou for the compliment, I’ve gotten a lot from the members of this forum and want to give back anything I learn. Good luck and enjoy!:)

I ordered some used bucket seats that I finally got installed tonight. It took 3 attempts before finally getting bucket seats and not another 60/40 bench. I’ll try to get a better photo soon. My wife strapped our little one in her car seat and didn’t even notice lol. She was super excited after finding out though! With all that being said, has anyone swapped the wiring in the 2nd row seats? The new bucket seat plug is different than the one in the car.

B7C55411-ADD3-454A-BEA3-EE96FDEFF0F2.jpeg

Removing the grill on a '16 Platinum was a *****!!! So many clips and clips and more clips...

Going to get them done right this time. The place I took it to plasti-dipped it but when we removed it, my friends told me that it wasn't plasti-dipped. They used an inexpensive paint and put only one coat and needless to say, I am never going back there again.

Now I'm going to have them strip it, sand it and then paint it satin back and clear coat it just like you would a paint job on a car and for the same price it cost me to plasti-dip it. Thanks to Dakota and Shane at Daksen's Hydrographics. They'll finish it by Friday and then re-install the grill.
5+iBq%jXTeyX56jg4%5g9Q.jpg
6Q1bh+kpQdezBbY1a9Nk3g.jpg
Q4C1rfqYQ+W4UGNAZj4LBw.jpg
8hxYB3suT46fmtOQgdCR1A.jpg
XZJZUQqOSsuEKgk7ZVRZ9A.jpg
fullsizeoutput_460f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_460e.jpeg

added some chrome trims..

Sorry if I have missed previous posts on your rig. The around the window trim is most obvious but I see above the handle trim, fog lamp rings and additional trim on the mirrors? Was it all done at the same time? Do you have close ups of the mirror trim?

Removing the grill on a '16 Platinum was a *****!!! So many clips and clips and more clips...

Going to get them done right this time. The place I took it to plasti-dipped it but when we removed it, my friends told me that it wasn't plasti-dipped. They used an inexpensive paint and put only one coat and needless to say, I am never going back there again.

Now I'm going to have them strip it, sand it and then paint it satin back and clear coat it just like you would a paint job on a car and for the same price it cost me to plasti-dip it. Thanks to Dakota and Shane at Daksen's Hydrographics. They'll finish it by Friday and then re-install the grill.
View attachment 158415 View attachment 158416 View attachment 158417 View attachment 158418 View attachment 158419 View attachment 158420 View attachment 158421
Life happens, it’s just harder to deal with when it’s someone’s doing. Obviously you shall overcome! You just need a talented, patient crew and chocolate milk!:thumbsup:

Are you going to change the Ford emblem? Go with red lettering?

Sorry if I have missed previous posts on your rig. The around the window trim is most obvious but I see above the handle trim, fog lamp rings and additional trim on the mirrors? Was it all done at the same time? Do you have close ups of the mirror trim?

I have the fog lamp rings a long time ago, the one on the handle trim was a few months ago, and the mirror and the around the windows were a few weeks ago.

This angle looks better :)

Over the course of the week, I cleaned and conditioned the leather, went over it with a clay bar (twice), Rain-X on all glass, waxed it with a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class, then another of Meguiar's Ultimate wax (I ran out of Gold Class), cleaned the rims with Meguiar's wheel cleaner, and applied two coats of Mother's Back to Black to all of the trim. I also blacked out the grill and the roof rack, and applied the Explorer hood letters. I have an appointment scheduled for tint in 2 weeks.

IMG_20180504_183035.jpg

IMG_20180504_183101.jpg

I was bored last night so I removed the shiny metal trim off of the key fob. Then I lightly sanded with1000 grit sandpaper then painted it black followed by wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper when the paint dried. And I plastic dipped the Ford oval. I did not like the bright trim. Go CAPS!!!

EB8DA7B9-5431-44AF-90D5-B7D087A644FB.jpeg

56A053C2-67A0-4BBB-B6BD-D52813ADFFBB.jpeg

Over the course of the week, I cleaned and conditioned the leather, went over it with a clay bar (twice), Rain-X on all glass, waxed it with a coat of Meguiar's Gold Class, then another of Meguiar's Ultimate wax (I ran out of Gold Class), cleaned the rims with Meguiar's wheel cleaner, and applied two coats of Mother's Back to Black to all of the trim. I also blacked out the grill and the roof rack, and applied the Explorer hood letters. I have an appointment scheduled for tint in 2 weeks.

View attachment 158461

View attachment 158462
How’d you black out the rails? Plastic dip or vinyl?

Jon, did the "E X P L O R E R" badging come all together or did you have to separately adhere all the letters?

Jon, did the "E X P L O R E R" badging come all together or did you have to separately adhere all the letters?

If you buy the OEM, it comes together, and on a stencil. You pull the backing, apply, pull the front. It comes with instructions for measurement/placement.

Got my new Explorer fully tinted, new Michelin Premiere LTX tires (dumped the poor quality, lousy riding factory tires), installed splash guards and most importantly picked up a new 8 year/125,000 mile warranty from Bob Cline at www.factoryplans.com.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back