2018 Explorer SPORT tune and exhaust? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer SPORT tune and exhaust?

brazeagle

Reaction score
City, State
Stamford
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
Anyone making a AXLE BACK 4 tips and a tune for the 2018 yet?

I just installed a AIRAID CAI, Fantastic...
But tunning and exhaust needed.

Please post any news.
Thank you
LcL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are threads on aftermarket exhausts and tunes; Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread, Gibson Axle Back Exhaust, Which Tune To Go With? The Livernois tune seems to be the most popular. There are several threads on it. Use the 'Search' feature to find them or scroll through the threads. Keep in mind that certain mods may affect warranty coverage.
Also, please update your profile with '2018 Sport' so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful info to have. Thanks.

Peter

There are threads on aftermarket exhausts and tunes; Aftermarket Sport Exhaust Thread, Gibson Axle Back Exhaust, Which Tune To Go With? The Livernois tune seems to be the most popular. There are several threads on it. Use the 'Search' feature to find them or scroll through the threads. Keep in mind that certain mods may affect warranty coverage.
Also, please update your profile with '2018 Sport' so it shows in the margin. That can be very useful info to have. Thanks.

Peter
Thank you,
As I suspected, no of the posts you mentioned cover the 2018 Explorer Sport yet.

I updated my profile as well, however it says I am not authorized to add a profile picture.

Thank you,
As I suspected, no of the posts you mentioned cover the 2018 Explorer Sport yet.

I updated my profile as well, however it says I am not authorized to add a profile picture.
I don't know of any changes in the 2018 Sport that would differentiate it from a 2017 or 2016 in regards to what you are looking to do. They are likely the same. As for the profile picture, you must have an Elite membership ($20) to add that.

Peter

I don't know of any changes in the 2018 Sport that would differentiate it from a 2017 or 2016 in regards to what you are looking to do. They are likely the same. As for the profile picture, you must have an Elite membership ($20) to add that.

Peter
Thank you again,
The 2018 has a muffler with dual tips now, no longer single.
Just found out there is no axle-back, mufflers or system yet for the 2018 as it is a quad exhaust exit on the rear. Also there is no tune for the 2018 either.

I guess I will have to wait.
All the best
Regards,
LCL

Anyone find a dual tip exhaust for the 2018 Sport yet?
Thanks

For those with a 2018 Explorer Sport.
Magnaflow is putting out the very first quad tips for our car. It is supposed to be a nice axle-back system, with a moderate sound according g yo technician I spoken to.
Just got an email from them that they are now building it.Soon it Will be available.

See pic on the website.
I tried uploading here, but was unable.

Home

Cheers
LCL

Honest question here... Are you just going for increased exhaust note? An axle back exhaust is not going to give the performance gains of a full turbo back exhaust (down pipes and larger diameter exhaust), plus a tune.

Honest question here... Are you just going for increased exhaust note? An axle back exhaust is not going to give the performance gains of a full turbo back exhaust (down pipes and larger diameter exhaust), plus a tune.
Pretty much for the sound only.
With a 93oct performance tune I got fro livernois, I feel that the car has enough power now, without compromising any other aspect.
Hoping that a axle back comes out soon! Magnaflow is taking a bit of time!

Pretty much for the sound only.
With a 93oct performance tune I got fro livernois, I feel that the car has enough power now, without compromising any other aspect.
Hoping that a axle back comes out soon! Magnaflow is taking a bit of time!

It always sucks to wait when they switch things up like that. I’d be interested in hearing your take on how it sounds. I’m holding off a bit to do a turbo back exhaust. I really wish there were more aftermarket companies making quality performance parts for the Explorer. I’ve had several turbo charged vehicles over the years, and am a go-not show kinda guy.

It always sucks to wait when they switch things up like that. I’d be interested in hearing your take on how it sounds. I’m holding off a bit to do a turbo back exhaust. I really wish there were more aftermarket companies making quality performance parts for the Explorer. I’ve had several turbo charged vehicles over the years, and am a go-not show kinda guy.

Too bad no one is doing anything on the exhaust quad tip yet. Magnaflow said mid-may would be out, now they even removed the part number from their website! go figure.
I will definitely advise how it sounds when I get my hands on one.
Now, a question for you: What do you mean about a "turbo back exhaust"? Can you explain, as I may opt for that if it gives a nice sound.
Thanks and stay safe.

Too bad no one is doing anything on the exhaust quad tip yet. Magnaflow said mid-may would be out, now they even removed the part number from their website! go figure.
I will definitely advise how it sounds when I get my hands on one.
Now, a question for you: What do you mean about a "turbo back exhaust"? Can you explain, as I may opt for that if it gives a nice sound.
Thanks and stay safe.
A turbo back exhaust includes all piping from the turbos to the mufflers. In this case it would be downpipes, mid pipe that runs under your explorer, and the axle back portion with the mufflers. Generally there is an increase in pipe diameter that allows the exhaust to flow more freely. There are a couple of vendors that have downpipes available, and Livernois has products to do a turbo back exhaust.

A turbo back exhaust includes all piping from the turbos to the mufflers. In this case it would be downpipes, mid pipe that runs under your explorer, and the axle back portion with the mufflers. Generally there is an increase in pipe diameter that allows the exhaust to flow more freely. There are a couple of vendors that have downpipes available, and Livernois has products to do a turbo back exhaust.
Could you advise on who makes downpipes for the Sport besides Livernois?
By the way, if anyone has a used set for sale for reasonable money, I would be interested. Thanks

By the way, if anyone has a used set for sale for reasonable money, I would be interested. Thanks

PPE I think produces a set for the Explorer. Don't know if they do the 2018 though. I have Livernois on mine, and really woke it up.

I would suggest posting that in this thread; Parts and Vehicles Wanted

Peter

I would suggest posting that in this thread; Parts and Vehicles Wanted

Peter

Was looking at the 2013 Sport mufflers yesterday and wondered since the main body measures 18" long if I could buy an electricians drill about 16" long and1/4" in diameter and come over to where the middle of another pipe in the muffler should be or muffler chamber walls (remembering how they usually design them)--if I could drill a hole in the back wall and through anything that's in the way from there to about 2" from the front wall? (Drilling the guts out basically.) If I could find an inner pipe and some blank walls and put a million holes in them is the idea using the pipe as a guide. Then, I was gonna seal the one hole I drill at the end of the muffler body up with some silicone sealer or, I could leave it open and let the water blow out from there. I'm just wondering if I could cut the back pressure using this method enough to make a difference in increased flow without causing the computer to go beserk. And maybe pick up a little sound in the process? Has anyone ever done open-heart surgery on one of these mufflers? And, what do you folks think of the idea? I thank you for your time. CEF.

Was looking at the 2013 Sport mufflers yesterday and wondered since the main body measures 18" long if I could buy an electricians drill about 16" long and1/4" in diameter and come over to where the middle of another pipe in the muffler should be or muffler chamber walls (remembering how they usually design them)--if I could drill a hole in the back wall and through anything that's in the way from there to about 2" from the front wall? (Drilling the guts out basically.) If I could find an inner pipe and some blank walls and put a million holes in them is the idea using the pipe as a guide. Then, I was gonna seal the one hole I drill at the end of the muffler body up with some silicone sealer or, I could leave it open and let the water blow out from there. I'm just wondering if I could cut the back pressure using this method enough to make a difference in increased flow without causing the computer to go beserk. And maybe pick up a little sound in the process? Has anyone ever done open-heart surgery on one of these mufflers? And, what do you folks think of the idea? I thank you for your time. CEF.
Pete: I agree that we could move this post but I do not know how to do it. So, can you move it for me???

Pete: I agree that we could move this post but I do not know how to do it. So, can you move it for me???
My comment was only meant for Slicky's post.

Peter

Honky,
I understand the theory behind what you are trying to do, but there are a couple of things that make it a bad idea. First, any silicone you try to use to seal it back up is going to melt or come loose. Second, you are creating turbulence by putting extra holes in the muffler, and turbulence is bad. You will end up doing more harm than good. A proper exhaust system takes into account the diameter of the pipe and the flow of the muffler/s. Changing just one rarely does anything good. You could theoretically achieve more exhaust flow by removing the muffler altogether, but then you have a noise problem. This site does a good job of explaining the back pressure vs. turbulence problem: #TechTip: Back Pressure Vs Low End Torque. Hope that helps!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honky,
I understand the theory behind what you are trying to do, but there are a couple of things that make it a bad idea. First, any silicone you try to use to seal it back up is going to melt or come loose. Second, you are creating turbulence by putting extra holes in the muffler, and turbulence is bad. You will end up doing more harm than good. A proper exhaust system takes into account the diameter of the pipe and the flow of the muffler/s. Changing just one rarely does anything good. You could theoretically achieve more exhaust flow by removing the muffler altogether, but then you have a noise problem. This site does a good job of explaining the back pressure vs. turbulence problem: #TechTip: Back Pressure Vs Low End Torque. Hope that helps!
You are right. I guess the Borla 140656 cat-back setup will have to be the answer after all, much to my billfold's chagrin. Thanks.

Back