RCM (Retraint Control Module) Crash Data | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCM (Retraint Control Module) Crash Data

NavigatorV8

Reaction score
City, State
Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer LTD 2016
Anybody knows, which one is the EPROM thats stores the crash data on the RCM?
album

IMG_6235.jpg

IMG_6236.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've always hated the idea of paying for a vehicle that stores data which can be used against it's owner.

My information is the Airbag module stores that information, has it changed in the newer models?

Most LEO that are trained in Accident Reconstruction also get trained in how to use the proprietary download software from each OEM.

I've always hated the idea of paying for a vehicle that stores data which can be used against it's owner.

That's a good point, I do know if the information is going to be used by Police as evidence against the driver then they need a warrant because the download is deemed a search.

Anybody knows, which one is the EPROM thats stores the crash data on the RCM?

Not sure what your plans are, but if you contemplating removing it, you may want to do some research if you have not already:

Does Your Car Have a Black Box?

"Turning off or Removing Event Data Recorders

Turning off, disabling, or removing an EDR is typically difficult or impossible. The difficulty stems from the fact that these aren’t standardized systems, which means that the location and appearance of an EDR will vary from one make to another and even within different models produced by the same OEM. The other issue is that EDRs are often built into an airbag control module, secondary restraint system (SRS) module, or electronic control module (ECM), which means they can’t be removed or tampered with at all.

Even when a vehicle has a discrete component that only functions as an EDR, it is almost always tied into the airbags or SRS in some way. This is particularly true of newer vehicles, and you may find that even if you manage to locate a discrete EDR, your airbags may deploy as soon as you start messing around with it.

If you’re really serious about disabling or removing your EDR, then your best bet is to look for someone else who has already successfully done so with a vehicle that precisely matches the make, model, and year of yours and then proceeds from there.

Of course, there are potential consequences of tampering with an EDR that go above and beyond accidentally deploying your airbags. For instance, tampering with these devices is actually illegal in some jurisdictions. Just to be safe, you should always check into your local laws before messing around with your EDR."

the background for my question was, my RCM is floated with water. I bought a use one from scrap yard. This RCM was from a car with accident and i can´t clesr the crash data. So i tried to solder out the EPROM from the floated RCM an solder in the crashed RCM. But, the EPROM is solded AND glued, so it is impossible

Did you see the comment on their website about water damage?

Did you see the comment on their website about water damage?
You mean this: >>>We don't repair flooded or burnt units and ECU with no communication<<<?
It is for me in any case impossible, because i live in Europe

In several jurisdictions including mine (BC, Canada), cars with flood damage can't be insured....

wow, that´s crass

I personally wouldn't be soldering an airbag unit, defective ones can deploy the SRS/ airbag system. Maybe buy another one out of a crashed vehicle and ship it to have it reprogrammed/tested if you cant buy new, will need to have the newly erased unit reprogrammed once you place it into the vehicle again also since it originally wasn't programmed for your car.
I have seen vehicles just sitting there popping off one airbag at a time with several minute intervals for no reason, the SRS unit was shipped to have testing done and was just told its a defective unit.. o_O

"WARNING: Do not handle, move or change the original horizontal mounting position of the restraints control module (RCM) while the RCM is connected and the ignition switch is ON. Failure to follow this instruction may result in the accidental deployment of the Safety Canopy and cause serious personal injury or death. " <---- they are pretty much saying the side airbags will deploy since turning the airbag computer around while plugged in may think its in a rollover collision.

"Programmable Module Installation is required when installing a new RCM"

okay, my decision is now to buy a new RCM. But i can get it only from US and that is very very expensive with shipping, tax and custom. Will see, what i do

Back