How to disable seat belt chime in a 2018 ford explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to disable seat belt chime in a 2018 ford explorer

bugme

Reaction score
City, State
Irwin, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Might work on other Fords. After reading and trying at least 5 different versions/ideas. Here is what I came up with with a little modification of what I tried and read:

With your seat belt UN-buckled, foot brake on, turn key to "on", but don't start the car. You'll notice the red seat belt warning light in the left gauge. Wait for that red light to go out (up to a full minute usually). As soon as you notice that the light goes out, click and un-click your seat belt buckle quickly as many times as it takes to make the red dash light start to blink (click/un-click maybe 3-5 times).

When you see the red light blinking, turn the key to "off", and you're done. That will be for the driver's seat. Now do the same thing for the passenger seat. THEN YOUR ALL DONE and no chime :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The easiest way to stop the chime is to buckle up the seatbelt before you start driving. Why would you want to disable it? It's a safety reminder.

Peter

I'm so glad I found this. Like Peter, I've been putting on my seatbelt every time I drive to get it to turn off. What a waste that was.
Now I can drive around without my seatbelt(and my passenger too).:crazy: If it wasn't clear, there's a whole lot of sarcasm there.

I've even found that putting on my seatbelt before starting prevents the warning chime from coming on in the first place.

But hey, it's your life, do what you want.

Just buckle up. I am in the medical field and just had a patient unrestrained that went flying through the windshield after hitting a pole along side of the road.

What vehicle did you complete this with? Reason I ask is MY17 doesn't have a key and the engine will start when brake pedal is applied and press the start button.

What vehicle did you complete this with? Reason I ask is MY17 doesn't have a key and the engine will start when brake pedal is applied and press the start button.
Is your reply addressed to the OP? If so, the margin shows he has a 2018 Platinum.

Peter

That's nice. WOW, mine has no key either................

the process is in the owner's manual

Might work on other Fords. After reading and trying at least 5 different versions/ideas. Here is what I came up with with a little modification of what I tried and read:

With your seat belt UN-buckled, foot brake on, turn key to "on", but don't start the car. You'll notice the red seat belt warning light in the left gauge. Wait for that red light to go out (up to a full minute usually). As soon as you notice that the light goes out, click and un-click your seat belt buckle quickly as many times as it takes to make the red dash light start to blink (click/un-click maybe 3-5 times).

When you see the red light blinking, turn the key to "off", and you're done. That will be for the driver's seat. Now do the same thing for the passenger seat. THEN YOUR ALL DONE and no chime :)

That's nice. WOW, mine has no key either................

Sorry if it sounded like a stupid ?? but kinda hard to hold brake and "turn" key to on without starting the vehicle.

Tried this in my 18 XLT and it didn't work. Everything went just like you described except that I still get the chime. I did use the Parking Brake. This procedure isn't in my manual either by the way.

I have no problem with using seat belts, just don't like the unnecessary nag.

Yes it is in the owners manual. The easiest way to look up stuff in the owners manual is to download the latest pdf version from the ford owner site and then do keyword searches.

Yes it is in the owners manual. The easiest way to look up stuff in the owners manual is to download the latest pdf version from the ford owner site and then do keyword searches.
Your're right, it's in there. Getting the PDF helped. The procedure is a little different than described above. I'll try it again.

Tom

Tried the slightly different procedure I found in my manual and it still doesn't work. I end up with a blinking light just like the instructions say, but it doesn't disable the chime.

Tom

Back