4x4 auto, 2004 explorer

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Hi Guys,

2004 explorer with front end clunking noise at 20mph when deceleration , suspect 4wd issue .

Is there a fuse I can pull that will only disconnect the clutch that enables the 4x4 auto feature ? I want to disconnect the 4x4 auto without without loosing 4x4 hi , 4x4 low or doing a brown wire mod.

Many Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Guys,

2004 explorer with front end clunking noise at 20mph when deceleration , suspect 4wd issue .

Is there a fuse I can pull that will only disconnect the clutch that enables the 4x4 auto feature ? I want to disconnect the 4x4 auto without without loosing 4x4 hi , 4x4 low or doing a brown wire mod.

Many Thanks,
@N1265
The 4X4 high-gear feature is turned "on" by a relay underhood. The relay is turned on by either the PCM (computer, or 4X4 Module, think the module was eliminated for 2004), or the switch, "4X4 HIGH", on the dashboard. Thus, disabling power to either the clutch or the relay coil will disable 4X4 HIGH also. imp

You are correct, the 4x4 module was eliminated for the 2004 and 2005 model years, and in reading other posts I was under the impression that pulling that relay in the engine bay would disconnect 4x4 high and 4x4 low, but leave the 4x4 auto feature intact because it operates differently ( somehow )

But maybe I misunderstood the other post , Many Thanks for the reply :)

Now I am wondering, does anybody know why ford did away with the control module in '04 and '05 and then went back to it in '06 ? dosen't seem like ford usually adds parts to their cars, after doing away with them ...

You are correct, the 4x4 module was eliminated for the 2004 and 2005 model years, and in reading other posts I was under the impression that pulling that relay in the engine bay would disconnect 4x4 high and 4x4 low, but leave the 4x4 auto feature intact because it operates differently ( somehow )

But maybe I misunderstood the other post , Many Thanks for the reply :)
@N1265
Pulling the 4X4 HIGH relay would kill 4X4 High only, as there are two relays. The 4X4 High feature works by turning on the transfer case Electronic clutch, as does also 4X4 Auto. 4X4 Low function is a completely separate thing, engaged by the transfer case drive motor, and not being connected at all with the computer controlled function of 4X4 AUTO or 4X4 HIGH.

I did the Brown Wire Mod to diagnose the condition, I am still getting the clunk noise at 20 MPH on deceleration in 2wd. Any idea on what it could be ? it seems to be related to a downshift but I am not sure.

Front driveshaft?

Back