Solved - Air conditioning goes to defrost when accelerating, then returns. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Air conditioning goes to defrost when accelerating, then returns.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

oaxaca_one

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT
I have a 2008 Explorer. When I accelerate, the air conditioning airflow completely disappears from the front vents and switches to coming out the windshield vents (like defrost). When I ease off the accelerator, the air flow returns to the main vents.

This never happened before a local mechanic cleaned out my cabin air vents (I wasn't getting much airflow, now after the clean I get strong air).

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.
--Greg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well on my 250 there was a vacuum leak behind the dash. Not sure if that's an issue with your explorer.

Check the one way ac check valve in the engine bay for the vacuum reservoir. usually when they go bad you will a hiss in the passenger side foot well when accelerating. If you do a search on the fourm you will find quite a few threads on the problem. I read somewhere that when the system looses vacuum the default position is defrost.

I had same symptoms on my 2010, replacing the one way check valve did the trick.

You definitely have a lack of vacuum while accelerating.

Before replacing anything, check the line going from below the blower to the vacuum ball.

They like to chafe and leak.

usually when they go bad you will a hiss in the passenger side foot well when accelerating.

Now that you mention it, I did notice a hiss (not loud but I could hear it) coming from the passenger side when I accelerated. I'll bet the check valve is the problem.

Thanks for the reply.
--Greg

Just an update...

You were all right. It was the A/C one-way check valve. I got that replaced and all the problems have gone away.

I live in Mexico, and so the part + labor cost me $11 bucks! I'll take that any day.

Thanks to all.
--Greg

Good to hear you got it fixed.

Awesome! Best $10 part ever.

Does anyone happen to have the part number of the check valve?

^ Motorcraft YG-360
May be only used on 2002-10.

I'm a dumbass, I didnt even look to see that this was a 3rd Gen thread

Back