Should I buy an explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy an explorer

Any comments on the water leaks in the spare tire well, water leaking through rear vents and seatbelts? Did you find the cause and what was the fix?
Did the infamous exhaust fume leak ever get resolved?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any comments on the water leaks in the spare tire well, water leaking through rear vents and seatbelts? Did you find the cause and what was the fix?

I did check mine when I bought it and no water noted in the spare tire well. Haven't heard about the water leaking through rear vents or seatbelts.

I still have to take mine in. Apparently it's an all day thing with them keeping the car and I just haven't found time. I haven't experienced any issues though and the dealer made it seem like its mainly just the police versions because they cut through parts of the car to run their wires and that's what disrupted the integrity of the car. Resulting in CO leaking into the car.

Check this out Looking into a used Explorer, what to look for?. That was my post before buying mine. Might have some additional useful info in there for you. I know everyone was very helpful in there throughout all my questions.

Water leaks were a hit or miss type of problems although they were more prevalent with earlier models. There is no one fix for all. As for the exhaust leak issue it seems that the latest 'fix' has had more success than previous ones. Check out the two threads on both for more info.

Peter

Bad advice. Consumer Reports says the 2015 is much more reliable than the 2016. The 2015 is the most reliable of this generation. The 2016 is the least reliable since the 2012.
Personally I would still go with the 2016 because of some of the newer features. Those features also address some of the OP's concerns. Any issues that come up should be covered under warranty and I also take out the Ford ESP on my vehicles. The 2016 also has the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty on the corrosion issue on aluminum panels. Thanks for the info on the cameras.

Peter

I did check mine when I bought it and no water noted in the spare tire well. Haven't heard about the water leaking through rear vents or seatbelts.

I still have to take mine in. Apparently it's an all day thing with them keeping the car and I just haven't found time. I haven't experienced any issues though and the dealer made it seem like its mainly just the police versions because they cut through parts of the car to run their wires and that's what disrupted the integrity of the car. Resulting in CO leaking into the car.

Check this out Looking into a used Explorer, what to look for?. That was my post before buying mine. Might have some additional useful info in there for you. I know everyone was very helpful in there throughout all my questions.
I will definitely check it out.

What's build quality like, how has the vehicle held up over the time you guys have owned the explorer.
Being unbiased, what other vehicle do you think fairly compete with the explorer? What made you choose the explorer over the rest?

My 2016 Explorer Platinum has 24k miles. I don't consider my Explorer typical with all these repairs but it sure has not been that reliable, a couple of the repairs were the Dealers fault. I bought an extended warranty right away and added the optional 1st day & upgraded $ rental car benefit and boy am I glad.
My vehicle has been in the shop over 30 days fixing different problems and a lot of time and effort was involved driving back and forth.
Would I buy another Ford Explorer? That is a difficult question because there is really nothing in the price range that has the power of the EcoBoost 3.5L, safety and interior room. I think the 2017/18’s have some of the bugs worked out and are probably more reliable than my car has been. I’ll wait for the new 2020’s and see how they are working out before buying another one.

Warranty issues:
Power fold mirror faulty - Dealer replaced after 2 tries with spray lube. (3 trips to Dealer, 2 days at Dealer to fix)
Windshield wind noise: Dealer replaced windshield lower plastic cowl cover. (2 trips, 3 days at Dealer)
Passenger window stuttered and jumped when lowered: Dealer tried twice with spray lube, then put in a foam strip insert to fix. (3 trips and 1 day at Dealer)
Dead battery <20k miles: Flat bed tow truck to Dealer - replaced. (1 trip, 2 days at Dealer)
Roof rail came loose: Dealer replaced entire roof rail. (2 trips, 3 days at Dealer)
Engine misfire at <11k miles, cause unknown: Dealer replaced all fuel injectors, fuel rails & fuel pump. (1 trip, 2 weeks at Dealer)

Other problems:
Transmission shifting problem, WOT intermittently won’t shift (falls flat on it’s face), no codes: 3 trips to Dealer - unable to replicate, no fix, still happens.
Hankook OEM tires worn out @<12k miles - No Dealer help, I had to buy new tires.
Glove box hinge broken by Dealer - replaced twice, 2 trips to Dealer, 2 days to fix.
APIM broken by Dealer: replaced, took months and 4 trips to Dealer, 1 day to fix.

My 2016 Explorer Platinum has 24k miles. I don't consider my Explorer typical with all these repairs but it sure has not been that reliable, a couple of the repairs were the Dealers fault. I bought an extended warranty right away and added the optional 1st day & upgraded $ rental car benefit and boy am I glad.
My vehicle has been in the shop over 30 days fixing different problems and a lot of time and effort was involved driving back and forth.
Would I buy another Ford Explorer? That is a difficult question because there is really nothing in the price range that has the power of the EcoBoost 3.5L, safety and interior room. I think the 2017/18’s have some of the bugs worked out and are probably more reliable than my car has been. I’ll wait for the new 2020’s and see how they are working out before buying another one.

Warranty issues:
Power fold mirror faulty - Dealer replaced after 2 tries with spray lube. (3 trips to Dealer, 2 days at Dealer to fix)
Windshield wind noise: Dealer replaced windshield lower plastic cowl cover. (2 trips, 3 days at Dealer)
Passenger window stuttered and jumped when lowered: Dealer tried twice with spray lube, then put in a foam strip insert to fix. (3 trips and 1 day at Dealer)
Dead battery <20k miles: Flat bed tow truck to Dealer - replaced. (1 trip, 2 days at Dealer)
Roof rail came loose: Dealer replaced entire roof rail. (2 trips, 3 days at Dealer)
Engine misfire at <11k miles, cause unknown: Dealer replaced all fuel injectors, fuel rails & fuel pump. (1 trip, 2 weeks at Dealer)

Other problems:
Transmission shifting problem, WOT intermittently won’t shift (falls flat on it’s face), no codes: 3 trips to Dealer - unable to replicate, no fix, still happens.
Hankook OEM tires worn out @<12k miles - No Dealer help, I had to buy new tires.
Glove box hinge broken by Dealer - replaced twice, 2 trips to Dealer, 2 days to fix.
APIM broken by Dealer: replaced, took months and 4 trips to Dealer, 1 day to fix.
All I can say is wow, that's what bothers me the most, Ford had 6+ years since the new gen was launched and still can't get some things right, those things at that price point shouldn't be recurring through the years. Then again, maybe that's why they depreciate like the titanic. Good for you that you got the extended warranty. And of course it makes sense to still want to buy one because it has a lot to offer, that's why I like it, but the problems make the decision harder. Each brand has their own problems, but for Ford to have the title of America's best, they need to make more effort.

16’ Sport and 16’ Platinum have been great so far.

Warranty issues:

Other problems:

This is not so much a Ford Explorer problem as it is a dealership service department problem.... holy f*3k.... time to search for a new dealer, seriously.

As been said before, there are some that have many issues.

My '14 Sport has just over 70k miles.
Recall completed - rear toe arm or something like that.
Air bag light @ just under 60k miles, rear seatbelt issue, fixed under warranty.
I have not completed the CO sealing rework. I'm debating on if/when I'll have that completed.

I change my engine oil when OLM is at about 20% remaining.
I changed PTU and rear diff fluids @ ~60k miles and did a drain fill of transmission fluid.
I replaced the original tires @ about 60k-65k miles
Rear brakes a few weeks back around 70k miles. I think the front brakes are about 40% remaining, so they have quite a bit of life left.

Overall, very satisfied with the reliability of my Explorer.

This is not so much a Ford Explorer problem as it is a dealership service department problem.... holy f*3k.... time to search for a new dealer, seriously.
Keep in mind that dealers do not always keep certain parts in stock and that requires ordering. Also, not every dealer, especially busy ones, can get a vehicle in right away to check out the problems. I'm guessing in some cases, those with scheduled appointments would take priority. As for the tire issue, that has nothing to do with the dealer. Tires are covered by their own manufacturer's warranty. No excuses for dealer caused issues but again, part has to be ordered and programmed. It's easy to point the finger at the dealership without having all relative information available.

Peter

Keep in mind that dealers do not always keep certain parts in stock and that requires ordering. Also, not every dealer, especially busy ones, can get a vehicle in right away to check out the problems. I'm guessing in some cases, those with scheduled appointments would take priority. As for the tire issue, that has nothing to do with the dealer. Tires are covered by their own manufacturer's warranty. No excuses for dealer caused issues but again, part has to be ordered and programmed. It's easy to point the finger at the dealership without having all relative information available.

Peter

Yes Peter, but look at the timelines... how many times each problem took for them to resolve simple issues and how long they kept his vehicle... it's pretty clear to see a common issue here.... luckily, I live in a city with MANY options for Ford dealerships. Why do you think I live in Orleans, but go all the way to Manotick for sales and service??

Yes Peter, but look at the timelines... how many times each problem took for them to resolve simple issues and how long they kept his vehicle... it's pretty clear to see a common issue here.... luckily, I live in a city with MANY options for Ford dealerships. Why do you think I live in Orleans, but go all the way to Manotick for sales and service??
The dealership may have expedited some repairs if the owner didn't have a rental. There is a nearby Ford dealership in Embrun (2 miles) yet I go to the Ford/Lincoln dealership in Casselman (15 miles) for sales and service because of their reputation.

Peter

I've used 3 dealers, depending. Let's get one thing straight though, with the exception of normal maintenance I would not be visiting any dealer if this Explorer Platinum was trouble free in the first place. How the problems were dealt with is a separate issue. The fact that the car still has occasional WOT 'no shift' issues (link) is a problem I live with because it is intermittent and the dealer(s) can't fix what they don't see.

Ford does a lot of things right but these Explorers have been around a long time and for the life of me I can't believe Ford hasn't ironed out some of these technical issues that we see on this forum. I don't expect perfection but unfortunately for me this Explorer isn't even close.

I've used 3 dealers, depending. Let's get one thing straight though, with the exception of normal

Ford does a lot of things right but these Explorers have been around a long time and for the life of me I can't believe Ford hasn't ironed out some of these technical issues that we see on this forum. I don't expect perfection but unfortunately for me this Explorer isn't even close.
My thoughts exactly, and I haven't owned one before, my opinion is based on complaints from owners, and if things are as bad as they seem or owners portray it to be, then I'm not sure if the problems outweigh the features.

IFord does a lot of things right but these Explorers have been around a long time and for the life of me I can't believe Ford hasn't ironed out some of these technical issues that we see on this forum. I don't expect perfection but unfortunately for me this Explorer isn't even close.

Today I've got to chase around more noises in the car with the WSM in hand because they keep popping up like crazy, along with a weird stutter I'm getting now on heavy throttle. And that's on top of the confusion the transmission has early in the morning where it can't decide to start in 1st or 2nd for the first engagement of the cold start. I'm really getting itchy to dump it and walk away, but it's such a large financial pill to swallow--in addition to all the accessories I have to unload.

Today I've got to chase around more noises in the car with the WSM in hand because they keep popping up like crazy, along with a weird stutter I'm getting now on heavy throttle. And that's on top of the confusion the transmission has early in the morning where it can't decide to start in 1st or 2nd for the first engagement of the cold start. I'm really getting itchy to dump it and walk away, but it's such a large financial pill to swallow--in addition to all the accessories I have to unload.
Wow, that sucks, and the depreciation is a killer.

The more I read about all the issues some of the members are having with part replacements, costly repairs and taking hits on depreciation when things really 'bottom out' makes me glad that I lease my vehicles. I think of a 3 or 4 year lease as a long test drive.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The more I read about all the issues some of the members are having with part replacements, costly repairs and taking hits on depreciation when things really 'bottom out' makes me glad that I lease my vehicles. I think of a 3 or 4 year lease as a long test drive.

Peter
Keep in mind Peter, these posts are really considered "outliers", as the subset is really quite small, especially when you consider the amount of Explorers sold and overall customer satisfaction. Most owners are not going to go online, join a forum and expel the wonderful virtues of their ownership experience (its the same for any vehicle really). I recently got rid of 2015 Camry that had crazy fit and finish issues and noises coming from the suspension that Toyota and the dealer could never quite figure out. Toyota's are a great car, but, if you took my experience (and several others on the Camry forum) to heart, you would never buy one. But, overall, you can't really go wrong with buying a Camry. The same holds true with the Explorer, if you read stories in an internet Forum about almost any new car, you will run scared and never purchase one (if one is that hesitant and wants the internet help make up their mind, they're better off with public transit or Uber). The new Explorer is really a great vehicle overall, and while we haven't owned ours for very long (5 months), we have been very pleased (no initial complaints or issues), but, my work (military) has had several 5th gen Explorers put through the ringer on a daily basis and they're holding up well (we use the 3.7 NA versions and a few EB 3.5s as well)..
As is always the case, your mileage will vary, as will your ownership experience.

Back