What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 78 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

How do you like the aFe intake? Notice any differences in performance? I just received delivery of one myself. I got it for the exact same reason.
How do you like the aFe intake? Notice any differences in performance? I just received delivery of one myself. I got it for the exact same reason.
Btw how do you like your MPG caliper covers? I am going to use G2 to paint mine black soon, but I am interested in the MPGs. How are they holding up and any problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like it so far, I did not notice much of a change in the performance at first. The only major change was the sound it made. But I got my Livernois tuner last week:bounce:. They programed the tunes with the cai in mind. Now I am pretty happy between the tuner, the aFe CAI and my Pedal Commander I got last year.I would of liked to of put my X on a dyno before the changes but I have not found any in my area that handles 4WD. I forgot to mention in my previous post about the aFe, the vacum hose is way too short. I went to Auto Zone and got 7 inches of vacum tube. And the aFe crank case hose lifts up the engine cover. It is easy to remove some of the foam from underneath the foam engine cover. Enjoy!

I installed my aFe intake today. That thing really growls! I will likely get the cover to tone it down just a bit. I don't have a feel yet for any improvement in performance (I'm not really expecting any), but I've only driven it a couple of miles so far.

The vac hose is definitely too short, and I will be making a stop at the local auto parts store today to solve the issue the same way you did.. The crank case hose is too long. For now, I just have it looping around under the engine cover, but I will trim it when I install the vac hose.

Btw how do you like your MPG caliper covers? I am going to use G2 to paint mine black soon, but I am interested in the MPGs. How are they holding up and any problems?

I love the covers! Zero issues. I much prefer the clean look of the covers to the shape of the stock calipers (even painted), but that's a personal preference thing. I know plenty of people who like the G2 paint.
33186813_10217428141201952_7818918100429963264_n.jpg

F2AC1062-EA15-4795-85E3-393951E5A074.jpeg
I got my Livernois MyCal with an 87 octane soft shift & a hard shift, a 93 octane soft shift & a 93 octane performance tunes plus the stock tune. It was delivered late on 5/10 @ 6 pm. First thing Friday am I got the ECU #’s but did not have time to send them to Livernois. I got home at 5:30 and could not get a internet connection(nieghborhood construction). I thought I would have to wait till Monday. I called Livernois to ask a question about the tuner. I talked to Anthony he was awesome! He answered my question and took my info and stayed late and sent me my tunes the same night! I installed it right away. A storm started right as it finnished down loading into the X. We have had nothing but rain & bad storms since with little breaks, so I have not been able to see what it can really do. Over all she is a lot smoother & quicker. Thanks to Dave for answering all my questions and & Anthony for going the extra mile for me. The Livernois crew is great! The sun is finally out, I am going for a ride!

I installed my aFe intake today. That thing really growls! I will likely get the cover to tone it down just a bit. I don't have a feel yet for any improvement in performance (I'm not really expecting any), but I've only driven it a couple of miles so far.

The vac hose is definitely too short, and I will be making a stop at the local auto parts store today to solve the issue the same way you did.. The crank case hose is too long. For now, I just have it looping around under the engine cover, but I will trim it when I install the vac hose.
I like your discrption “ that thing really growls!” its appropriate! The covers other benefit of course will be to keep the cold air in the hot air out. Too much excitement lately I forgot I had to shorten the crankcase hose also. I was afraid too remove too much and have to order another one. That’s when I removed some of the foam from the under side of the engine cover so it would lay flat. I actually did not mind. I was enjoying myself!

I checked with aFe and the EcoBoost CIA does not have a cover available to enclose it. That makes it a hard pass. Too bad...

I used to own an XLT model, but when driving it and pressing the gas pedal it just felt as an old and slow horse lol. Why cant they manufacture a true CAI for our top Ford Ecoboost engines.

I love the covers! Zero issues. I much prefer the clean look of the covers to the shape of the stock calipers (even painted), but that's a personal preference thing. I know plenty of people who like the G2 paint.
33186813_10217428141201952_7818918100429963264_n.jpg
Discription,I evidently need auto correct! Anyways I really dislike how aour calipers look, the shape and the color! The G2 most likely will be the first step since part of the caliper can still be seen with the covers on. I will probably get the ford logo and no fake bolts or no logo at all. I just want a good clean look. I will probably paint the hat also before it starts to rust. Yours looks really good. Your Explorer overall looks great! Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting that picture.

EC963278-7099-444B-BDCD-1282F7FD312B.jpeg
This is what I did for my X today, one Eastern Conference Champs magnet. GO CAPS!!

I used to own an XLT model, but when driving it and pressing the gas pedal it just felt as an old and slow horse lol. Why cant they manufacture a true CAI for our top Ford Ecoboost engines.

The MDesign intake is a direct connection between grille and throttle body. You might want to check that out. That said, reports I've read from guys who have done some testing on the drag strip are that the best intake for the 3.5 Eco is the stock intake system with a drop-in AEM dry filter (based on 1/4 mile time).

As for the 3.5 NA (such as the XLT), the sluggishness in the gas pedal can be improved dramatically with a throttle enhancer (Pedal Commander, and others). It's a pretty significant improvement in responsiveness to pedal push. Add a tune, and it's even better. The NA will never equal the output of even a stock Eco, but you can certainly make it a more enjoyable experience.

Gotta show pics when the chrome delete is complete. I have that same color and think that would be awesome!

Yesterday, I got the door handles, trim, and roof rack wrapped in satin black, and the front windows taken from 18% to 9%. The rear metered at 5%.

I didn't do a full chrome delete. I'm going to do the grill using the PIU black grill & trim, and I'm now rethinking having the XLT and flex fuel emblems done. I plan on leaving the Ford emblems as is. When I have the rims powder coated, I have black Ford center caps for them already. If there were an easier, cheaper way, I'd do the chrome in the headlights, but I'm not breaking them open, and I'm not buying new ones, just for that.

IMG_20180524_182818.jpg
IMG_20180524_182806.jpg
IMG_20180524_182751.jpg

Yesterday, I got the door handles, trim, and roof rack wrapped in satin black, and the front windows taken from 18% to 9%. The rear metered at 5%.

I didn't do a full chrome delete. I'm going to do the grill using the PIU black grill & trim, and I'm now rethinking having the XLT and flex fuel emblems done. I plan on leaving the Ford emblems as is. When I have the rims powder coated, I have black Ford center caps for them already. If there were an easier, cheaper way, I'd do the chrome in the headlights, but I'm not breaking them open, and I'm not buying new ones, just for that.

View attachment 159323 View attachment 159324 View attachment 159325

Ooh, I really like the way that came out. I kind of like the way the rims really stick out now, but they will look sharp powder coated too.

Had my Velgen VMB6 wheels re-powder coated by Crown Customs & Coatings LLC in Elk Grove, IL.

Paul and his crew do some fantastic work. I will be bringing my ride back here if ever I need some custom work done.
24249726-863A-465E-93DF-E9B66F66C127.jpeg
9B35AAD9-C954-46F4-85B3-E1F5E7B2D041.jpeg
BEB9D6FF-8356-41CE-869E-1498D0D8A873.jpeg
4828FE95-A9F2-4375-A491-458FCE9413FE.jpeg

Wow! She definitely has her own look now. Looking good! How did your outing at the track turn out?

Had my Velgen VMB6 wheels re-powder coated by Crown Customs & Coatings LLC in Elk Grove, IL.

Paul and his crew do some fantastic work. I will be bringing my ride back here if ever I need some custom work done.
View attachment 159347 View attachment 159348 View attachment 159349 View attachment 159350
Also have you thought about getting some more G2 and painting the calipers black? It would be a nice contrast to the red rims and tie into the blk body. The red calipers look good also...just wondering.

Also have you thought about getting some more G2 and painting the calipers black? It would be a nice contrast to the red rims and tie into the blk body. The red calipers look good also...just wondering.
Leaving the red on for now but I love that idea. As for the track, haven’t gone yet. The red wheels turned out better than my expectations.

View attachment 159347 View attachment 159348 View attachment 159349 View attachment 159350

I love the look of your wheels! I was planning on doing a red theme on my wife’s explorer back in the day when I painted all of the emblems but ended up going with purple instead since it’s her favorite color. I have new tires and TPMS sensors already on the way for her new rims. I also have every intention of painting them purple to match her emblems even though she isn’t a fan of the idea. I think the wheels really make the car stand out.

I love the look of your wheels! I was planning on doing a red theme on my wife’s explorer back in the day when I painted all of the emblems but ended up going with purple instead since it’s her favorite color. I have new tires and TPMS sensors already on the way for her new rims. I also have every intention of painting them purple to match her emblems even though she isn’t a fan of the idea. I think the wheels really make the car stand out.

Bro, please post photos. Would love to see it when it’s done!

Will definitely do. There will be a lot of haters I’m sure but I love having our explorer stand out from the others in a parking lot. I just hope the tires I ordered don’t run or it will be a waste of money.

The purple rims sound cool with the trim & emblems youv’e already have done. I am afraid to show my wife pics of your wife’s Ex...purple is also here favorite color! Maybe on her Focus but not my Ex! But she was raised by a family that thinks cars are just a tool to get from point a to b. Go figure. So she probably wouldn’t let do that to her car. Ignore the naysayers it’s great seeing some individuality out there!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my wife hates the idea of the big (24”) wheels painted purple because she says shes not a 16 year old kid.

I’m hoping to have the tires mounted up next weekend as long as everything shows up by then. The wheels are currently black so I’ll upload photos of them before they are painted.

Back