Air Conditioner 1994 explorer

felixxer

Reaction score
City, State
turlock ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer
The AC in my 24yo truck quit.
The compressor won't kick on and it had worked only a couple of days before.
Nothing is disconected and the AC light on the dash panel comes on.
Fuses are good.
Would relay under the hood suddenly fail?
Any and all answers appreciated.Thanx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be that, could be low pressure. There's a pressure switch in line with the compressor clutch so if the refrigerant is low the compressor won't turn on.

Relay is easy to swap with a good working one or new one. Besides the relay and low pressure, there is also a switch behind the a/c controls in the dash. I've seen the switch get dirty and get stuck on or off. That switch may only be for the defroster though -- I can't remember. There is a thread on it here somewhere.

With your 94 you should have R-134a, which is good -- that means you can go to any auto parts store and buy an a/c recharge kit. At least then you can tell if your problem was just low refrig or not, and whether or not you have a slow leak or bad leak somewhere.

Relay is easy to swap with a good working one or new one. Besides the relay and low pressure, there is also a switch behind the a/c controls in the dash. I've seen the switch get dirty and get stuck on or off. That switch may only be for the defroster though -- I can't remember. There is a thread on it here somewhere.

With your 94 you should have R-134a, which is good -- that means you can go to any auto parts store and buy an a/c recharge kit. At least then you can tell if your problem was just low refrig or not, and whether or not you have a slow leak or bad leak somewhere.
Thanx. What I found is a leaking low side valve but I had to burn thru a can of 134. Mystery solved.

Thanks for getting back with the answer, it helps all of us.

Back