Seat memory issues | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seat memory issues

You could try removing one battery cable for 30 seconds. Then you have to reset everything.:(
I see you live in up state NY. I drove for Wal Mart out of Marcy NY.
Only remove the negative cable if you are doing that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I just got a 2016 Platinum, and have seat memory slot one programmed correctly. Every time I get in the car the seat moves to a different position, one that is way to close for me at 6'2. I then have to hit the memory 1 button and it moves back to where it should be.

Where can I adjust this? I cant find any info on it anywhere.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Just curious. Is the Easy Exit program enabled? If so try disabling that to see if it makes a difference. Just a guess though.

Peter

If it was built on or before 3/11/16 it may need a programming update done by the dealer under

TSB 16-0090
INCORRECT MEMORY SEAT OPERATION AND/OR EASY ENTRY/EXIT SEAT OPERATION - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/11/2016

If it was built on or before 3/11/16 it may need a programming update done by the dealer under

TSB 16-0090
INCORRECT MEMORY SEAT OPERATION AND/OR EASY ENTRY/EXIT SEAT OPERATION - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/11/2016
Good call Jason.

Are you using the same FOB as before or are you using the "other" FOB? The fobs can be dedicated for memory 1 and memory 2. If you using the other fob you are using the other setting. I recall seeing that in the owners manual.

Have you reset the fob to your new seat position?

thanks for the replies. I just watched this...
How To Program Your Memory Seats to Your Key Fob

Yes that did the trick, knew it had to be something simple.

Edit: by did the trick the one time I unlocked the car it stayed in the correct position. Hopefully its all set and not the programming issue mentioned above

My 2016 sport has the same issue. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Next time I take it in, I will have them check that.

Thanks for that info.

Just a word of warning, don't try setting your seat, with the window partly down, in a car wash.

Just a word of warning, don't try setting your seat, with the window partly down, in a car wash.

My problem is forgetting to turn off the automatic wipers

Once or twice a week my seat moves all the way forward when I leave the car and close (and lock) the door. It does not move back into the programmed position when I open the door or start the car. I do not have it programmed to my key fob.
This happened once when my wife pushed the #2 button that she had programmed several days earlier. She had already started the car.

Have others had this problem, or maybe had it fixed?

Once or twice a week my seat moves all the way forward when I leave the car and close (and lock) the door. It does not move back into the programmed position when I open the door or start the car. I do not have it programmed to my key fob.
This happened once when my wife pushed the #2 button that she had programmed several days earlier. She had already started the car.

Have others had this problem, or maybe had it fixed?
Your thread was moved here. I haven't used the memory feature as I'm the only driver but it seems that you have to program your fob as well.

Peter

I'm having this issue too. It's random actually. Sometimes it goes all the way and sometimes just partly. Guess I'll have to mention it to them.

I have a 2016 Explorer Sport that has had this same seat and steering wheel issue from day 1. It's been to the dealer 6 or more times and had the computer reprogrammed twice that I know of. Symptoms go away for a month or two and then come back. Has anyone else run into this and if so has there been a solution found. Any info would be greatly appriciated because it is truely starting to ruin the once love I had for the vehicle.

Mine does it about 20% of the time. Instead of using the memory button to return to position use the manual forward button. Then it works again the next time.

For a while.

I have a 2016 Explorer Sport that has had this same seat and steering wheel issue from day 1. It's been to the dealer 6 or more times and had the computer reprogrammed twice that I know of. Symptoms go away for a month or two and then come back. Has anyone else run into this and if so has there been a solution found. Any info would be greatly appriciated because it is truely starting to ruin the once love I had for the vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I've had the exact same problem. 2016 Explorer Sport 34K miles and it's been doing this for over a month. Took it multiple times to the dealership and they go round and round with me unable to figure out what is wrong. First time they manually moved the seat immediately and they said they spent all day and was unable to repeat the problem (UGH!) Only a few days later it started doing it to me again. Took it back and told them about the TSB (seemed like I had to do the leg work and did the research for them). They reprogrammed it and days later it did it again. Did they do it right? Why does it need to be reprogrammed again and again? Why is it all the 2016 Sport models after 30K? Of course my 3 year warranty expired only a couple months ago and I wasn't putting lots of miles on the truck until after it expired.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
It's not just the 2016 Sport, This also affected the Platinum and Limited trims. Does turning OFF the Easy Exit/Entrance feature affect the memory positions?

Peter

Does turning OFF the Easy Exit/Entrance feature affect the memory positions?

Peter

Please see next post... I've edited it to reflect what I've done to try to replicate and/or fix any problem with the EZ Entry/Exit

Since it might be confusing as to read the reply I posted earlier.....

EZ Entry/Exit OFF:
Seat Memory Position 1,2 & 3 will work normally and will remember their positions. Turning on and off the Explorer will not move the seat and they will stay in the position you have it set at.

EZ Entry/Exit ON:
Seat Memory Position 1,2 & 3 will work when pushed and will remember their positions.

Turning OFF the Explorer the seat will sometimes move back the 2 inches but sometimes it won't move at all. This is random and it doesn't matter if you start/stop the Explorer within a few seconds or drive a few hundred miles.

Turning ON the Explorer the seat will sometimes move back to the previous position (which is more rare than the other issues that happen).
Sometimes the seat will move "Close" to the previous position but might be just shy of it. Pressing the memory button will move the seat back into the correct position which may just be an inch or less of where it was. NOT pressing the memory button and driving and then turning off the Explorer will then move the seat back the 2 inches... BUT it will be even further back than the previous time. (example: One step forward... two steps back... one step forward... two steps back)

Just sitting in the Explorer and turning on the accessories (not pressing on the brake to start the Explorer) then the seat will act similarly. Sometimes it will move back into position of the previous setting... sometimes it doesn't move all the way to the exact position (half an inch off)... sometimes it doesn't move at all. No matter if it's a few seconds or a minute in between tries.

Setting the Key Fobs does not effect any of this. It's still totally random and if you can see how often I use "sometimes" it's exactly it... I've not found any rhyme or reason as to how to make it replicate.

NOTE!
I've had two things happen prior to me taking it to the dealer for the first time and then a random event even after I've taken it back to the dealer to have them do the The Service Bulletin reset.

- The passenger side mirror will sometimes "float" off into a different direction so far as it will hit it's end and the gears will click away for about 15 seconds. This is random to when it happens and it will only do it when you start the vehicle.

- When this all started about two months ago... I just never had paid attention to the seat not moving back into the correct spot and thought it was a setting I had toggled off. The seat just stopped moving all together (as if I had the EZ entry/exit off when it actually still was on). One morning I had a completely dead battery... (the battery is only 2 months old). Something in the system had a parasitic drain and it wiped out the juice to literally zero. Scratching my head as to how a locked car could have had a drain with no systems on; I disconnected the battery and recharged the battery back to 100%. After reconnecting the battery, I then noticed the seat was working as it had prior to any issues. This lead me to believe there had to be a possible connection between the seat issue and the drain. Since that day is when I've been more self aware of the EZ Entry/Exit issue going on.

- There seems to be a temporary way of resetting this whole issue. As you sit with the car running or just the accessories. You can manually use the FORWARD seat lever to move the seat. Holding this in will move the seat to exactly where the seat will stop for the memory position. Without letting go it will not move the seat any further. BUT, releasing the lever and then moving the lever forward again will allow the seat to bypass that spot and move even more forward to as far as the seat will go. DOING THIS will reset the memory EZ Entry/Exit issue and the seat will act normal again for a short period of time. (an hour or several days).

This issue didn't start until about 33K on my 2016 Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is another member who had the same issue with the mirror. I don't see any resolution to this issue in this thread. There is another thread that I will merge this one with.

Peter

Back