• Register Today It's free!

Clanking type sound

Brian Carter

Reaction score
City, State
Medicine Lodge
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
I have a clanking type sound coming from somewhere under the explorer. I think it might be the cv joint, but not sure. Our local mechanic is closed today but would like to find out what it is.

<a href="">video </a>

Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A bad CV joint is usually a "clunking" sound (lower pitch). You tend to hear it with the wheel turned more or less all the way in one direction, like making a slow tight turn.

Is the sound more from one side than the other?
Is the sound always there, or just in some situations?
Does the sound modulate with the vehicle speed?
Have you checked if there is any play in the wheels (bad wheel bearing)?
Have you looked underneath to see if anything obvious is loose?

LMHmedchem

The sound is usually when I'm driving straight and gets louder as I accelerate. It sounds like its coming from the front left, but a friend rode
rode in it and said it was the front right. He said maybe the CV axel. It just started the other morning. The steering seems fine.
I didn't notice anything loose. There was oil or grease where the cv joint is, but I don't know if that's normal or not. It didn't looked cracked
as far as I could see. It's usually louder when I'm at higher speeds around 35-40. Haven't driven any faster then that since it started happening and now I'm keeping it parked until I find out what is wrong.

If you can, jack it up and see if either of the front wheels are at all loose. Push in on each tire at 12:00 o'clock and see if the entire wheel tilts a little or is solid.

Make sure that the wheels are chocked and put it in neutral. Don't try putting it in neutral if it's on an jack and the wheels aren't properly chocked. Try to spin each front wheel by hand and see if it spins freely or if there is resistance or any sounds. If the sound is from one of the wheels, you can likely reproduce it by manually spinning and get a better idea of exactly where the sound is coming from.

While it's jacked up, look at the boot on the CV joint. The CV usually goes after the boot fails and the grease has leaked out. Sometimes it's not obvious that it has split or sometimes it has just come away from the wheel because the clamp is loose or missing.

LMHmedchem

Thank you, I will check it out as soon as possible.

To me it sounds like a rattly catalytic converter. Does it do it at idle? Or in gear with foot on brakes?

It doesn't do it on idle. It's louder when I accelerate and quiets down when I brake or let off of the gas

It doesn't do it on idle. It's louder when I accelerate and quiets down when I brake or let off of the gas

Louder with speed or with RPM?

Put into neutral, rev the engine... still hear it?

I tried reving it and it didn't sound. With speed in sure

Front end noise is no joke. You need to find this. If you have a failing ball joint this could end with a complete loss of control of the vehicle. If you are not comfortable with diagnosising the noise, get to a mechanic right away.

Have you checked that all wheel lug nuts are torqued to 100 ft lbs?

I have it parked until I can get it to a mechanic.

Well, I took it to the mechanic to figure out what it is. They said it needs LF HUB/RT FRT CV SHAFT/BOTH INNER TIE ROD ENDS/ALIGNMENT. They want to charge 1100 to fix it, but me and a friend is going to do it for a lot cheaper. So I have one more question. Does anyone know what size socket I would need for the hub assembly or axel/spindle nut? I've read a 32 mm and 30 mm. I don't want to buy a whole set. It's a 2004 Ford Explorer v8 AWD.

Thanks in advance.

I'm almost sure it's a 30mm nut. Use an impact to drive it off as it's on with well over 200 ft lbs of torque! You can rent a tie rod tool to do the inner and outer tie rods. Look up how to videos on YouTube for all the work needed. That's invaluable.

Make sure to torque those tie rods to the correct spec. Plan of having trouble getting that inner tie rod loose and out. Take your time and don't force anything. When removing the tie rods. try to keep track of the number of turns are in it so you can add that back in to the new parts to get the alignment close.

If by hub you mean bearing, that isn't too bad of a job. Getting those three bolts on the back of the knuckle loose will take the most time. Again, use caution as the knuckle is aluminum and will crack if hammered on too hard.

Finally, the night before your repairs, hit everything with PB Blaster!! Especially the upper ball joint to control arm bolt. Scrap it with a wire brush also to get the grit and rust off. Use an impact on those as well.

I've never done a CV shaft so maybe someone else could offer suggestions.

Well, I took it to the mechanic to figure out what it is. They said it needs LF HUB/RT FRT CV SHAFT/BOTH INNER TIE ROD ENDS/ALIGNMENT. They want to charge 1100 to fix it, but me and a friend is going to do it for a lot cheaper. So I have one more question. Does anyone know what size socket I would need for the hub assembly or axel/spindle nut? I've read a 32 mm and 30 mm. I don't want to buy a whole set. It's a 2004 Ford Explorer v8 AWD.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats on trying to save some money and getting to know your vehicle.

I DO have an issue... BUY THE WHOLE DAMN SET!

You will end up spending more money buying incomplete tools and only cause you more frustration than just buying some damn good tools.

For sockets in particular, you do not need to spend a lot. Buy a good set from a place like Harbor Freight. If it ever breaks, they will replace.

You will always be able to use tools on other cars in the future.

So I got everything replaced and it's still making the same sound. Could it ba a ball joint?

Remove the front driveshaft and see if the sound is still there, could be a u-joint in the front shaft going bad.

I know this thread is old, but I want to give an update. I ran into some money issues and had to put it on hold for awhile, but i recently started working on it again. I believe it to be the front left upper control arm. When I press up on the tire I hear the exact same noise. The last of the parts came in monday and I will be changing it out, along with both lower ball joints, this weekend.

Well, I'm 99.9% sure it is the driveshaft propeller. I have a crack it the boot and a bunch of dirt and stuff is in it, and it doesn't make the noise with the driveshaft off. Looks like I will be buying one more part and I should be good. Thanks everyone for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back