2017 Explorer sport cold air intake issue | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer sport cold air intake issue

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your not alone. I started hearing the pop noise at part throttle too when I installed the intake. Not loud, really only notice it if the radio is off. I put the stock setup back on and it goes away. So I’m sure it normal, just the windstorm makes it more noticeable.

I can't imagine what could be 'popping' in the Windstorm CAI unless you have something 'odd' inside of the tube or filter. Have you taken it back off to make certain there is no cardboard/plastic packing type material? If I had to guess the noise/thumping is coming from something else. Did you keep the factory intake? I would suggest swapping it back and seeing if the noise/thud goes away.

Windstorm CAI is not a true CAI. You can google it and it is actually a hot air intake. The only true cold air intake is the aFe cai. I am currently in the process of buying it.

Windstorm CAI is not a true CAI. You can google it and it is actually a hot air intake. The only true cold air intake is the aFe cai. I am currently in the process of buying it.

aFe is claiming 40hp and 60tq gain from a CAI... :crazy: Don't waste your money. When driving, the stock intake maintains ambient air temperature without heating it.

I'm going to give it another try, and throw the CAI back on. I'm hoping I can tolerate the weird pop it makes. I just can't get over spending that much money on something, and not have it on.

I did the mod to vent the bypasses to atmosphere. The weird popping is gone, now you whoosh when they open. It’s not as noticeable or annoying with the windows up. With the window down you do hear them open when you let off the throttle and while driving at part throttle. Not perfect, but def better!!

I did the mod to vent the bypasses to atmosphere. The weird popping is gone, now you whoosh when they open. It’s not as noticeable or annoying with the windows up. With the window down you do hear them open when you let off the throttle and while driving at part throttle. Not perfect, but def better!!
I don't think I would be able to deal with an atmospheric dump on an automatic lol

Guess I’ll give this a try also. I see mine sitting on a shelf in the garage and it makes my stomach knot

Back