• Register Today It's free!

10k mile service, is it free?

Magus2727

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018, Explorer Sport
My 2018 Explorer is a few thousand miles away from its 10k mile service. Is that included under the default warranty and service plan by Ford? I also have the extended warranty and service programs as well. I would expect all the maintenance and "regular" expected services to be covered.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2018 Explorer is a few thousand miles away from its 10k mile service. Is that included under the default warranty and service plan by Ford? I also have the extended warranty and service programs as well. I would expect all the maintenance and "regular" expected services to be covered.

Thanks!

Ford dealerships are privately owned dealerships and they can charge you any amount of money that they want. I learned my lesson by asking how much? I went in for my regular oil change at around 10K or so and they told me that they recommended cabin filter changed too. I said yes sure, but I got a few hours of labor and like a $180 bill for that.
Before this, XLT made sunroof noise and Ford Edge did not want to close sunroof. Left at the dealership for a week. When it was ready after 7 days, they just oiled the sunroof. Why keep my car in dealership for so long if that could be done in less then one day.

You will need to read your contract, it will tell you what is or isn't covered. Call your dealer, if you have to. There's no way anyone here can tell you what your agreement might cover.

Was not sure if this kind of service is included under the general bumper to bumper or other type of service.

Thanks will take a look at my paperwork and call the dealership.

My first brand spanking new car was a 1975 Olds Cutlass Supreme, Red with White vinyl top & interior. Took it to the dealer for some warranty work to be performed (pretty often back in those days) and the service manager mentioned I was due for a 7500 mile service. Me being young and not smart enough to ask if this was included in the 12 month/12,000 bumper to bumper warranty, told him "of course". I don't remember exactly how much that cost me 43 years ago, but I do remember being extremely ticked off and thinking as I left that stealership that I will ALWAYS ask how much before I say ok.

Was not sure if this kind of service is included under the general bumper to bumper or other type of service.

If you bought a maintenance plan then your pil changes are covered for the period you bought and at the intervals (5k or 7,500).

It is not covered under a warranty.

many dealerships have no clue how to read contracts properly. Call Ford customer service and give them your VIN number if you have any doubts. There are some plans that cover services if you purchased them when you bought your vehicle and can still be bought up to 3? years after vehicle purchase date. Some dealerships include in house service plans that are only valid at that dealer, in that case would have to call that specific selling dealer to confirm. Its always a good idea to ask the service adviser to call you for a quote if any additional work needs to be performed that hasn't been authorized.

As blwnsmoke mentioned, maintenance work is not covered under the factory warranty. You should have a Warranty Guide that tells you what is and is not covered. Anything of a 'maintenance' nature would be covered under a separate contract and is also not part of any Ford ESP.

Peter

Speaking of dealer shenanigans...I had a 1981 Corvette, couldn’t have been more than a year old. Left it at a Chevy dealership for an oil change. Picked car up, a week later I was waxing the hood and I noticed the fiberglass had an odd raised circle, the size of a hockey puck. I raised the hood in a panic, and there it was, they left my oil cap on top of the engine. Raised hell at dealership, they would only offer to repair and repaint hood. Luckily the paint job was top notch but I always feel I let them off too easy.

Back