PTU Flush Cost

How often do you change your PTU Oil?

• Total voters

Jet4life83

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer Sport
Good Day,

I went to my local Ford dealer (Karl Flammer Ford in Tarpon Springs) to get a Cooling System Service with BG Products. I had 54k on my 15 Sport and decided I rather spend the $136.34 for the service vs. the manual of changing this at a much higher milage.

I did inquire about the Transfer Case Flush. BG does offer the Drive Line Service as part of the Transfer Case Flush. The cost was $180.00. After hearing issues of the PTU unit, and not believing in lifetime oil, I think this is worth the cost to do every 60k or so. They stated they truly flush out all the oil completely. I looked at various videos on how to change this oil. I think i rather pay them, then me try to mess this up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good Day,

I went to my local Ford dealer (Karl Flammer Ford in Tarpon Springs) to get a Cooling System Service with BG Products. I had 54k on my 15 Sport and decided I rather spend the $136.34 for the service vs. the manual of changing this at a much higher milage.

I did inquire about the Transfer Case Flush. BG does offer the Drive Line Service as part of the Transfer Case Flush. The cost was $180.00. After hearing issues of the PTU unit, and not believing in lifetime oil, I think this is worth the cost to do every 60k or so. They stated they truly flush out all the oil completely. I looked at various videos on how to change this oil. I think i rather pay them, then me try to mess this up.

I had my PTU fluid changed at my ford dealer here in NJ and the charge was $110, $88 for labor and $22 for the Motorcraft 75W-140 gear fluid. I had it done at 9,000 miles due to the horror stories about the short life of the fluid. I'm going to have it done again at around 25,000 miles using Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 synthetic extreme pressure lubricant and leave it in for 25,000+ miles and hopefully it'll hold up better than the Motorcraft 75W-140. While the Motorcraft 75W-140 worked fine in the rear diffs of my trucks I think it met it's match with these PTU units. The exhaust runs close to them and they only hold, depending upon year, 1/2-3/4 of a quart of fluid. Amsoil Severe Gear oils have an excellent reputation for holding up in extreme use, such as with this PTU. I'm doing this because we keep our vehicles for 200,000+ miles.

Whimsey

I think I was quoted something around $140 for my '14 Sport.
I changed it myself @ 60k miles with Amsoil Severe Gear fluid.
Oil analysis report indicated the fluid was more representative of a 30k mile fluid.
Next change will likely be around 100k miles(vehicle miles, 40k on fluid).

Just got a quote from a Memphis dealer for $145. Planning to do it in the next few weeks.

~$125 at a local Firestone who sucked all of the old fluid out and replaced with Royal Purple. Plan to do it every 30k.

Shumax

Just got a quote from a Memphis dealer for $145. Planning to do it in the next few weeks.

Update: The dealer said the unit is sealed and the fluid can't be changed. Shaking my head and moving on... I don't even want them attempting it if that's their first answer. This, after quoting me the cost for it.

Update: The dealer said the unit is sealed and the fluid can't be changed. Shaking my head and moving on... I don't even want them attempting it if that's their first answer. This, after quoting me the cost for it.
That is what two dealers told me too. They say the Owner's Manual clearly states that the PTU doesn't need normal maintenance, see below*. If the fluid was changed by anyone using the PTU drain plug the 'tamperproof' paint on the drain plug would be evidence enough for them to deny any warranty claim. If that is so what the heck are other Ford Dealers doing changing the PTU fluid?

*2016 Owners Manual:
Scheduled Maintenance
The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) in your vehicle does not require any normal scheduled maintenance. The system is electronically monitored and notifies the driver of required service by displaying a message in the information display. The PTU lube will be more likely to require a fluid change if the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme/severe duty cycle driving. Do not check or change the PTU lubricant unless the unit has been submerged in water, shows signs of leakage or a message indicating required service is displayed. Contact your authorized dealer for service and to reset the PTU lube life monitor.

I wanted to have the fluid changed at ~60K but the dealer told me the same thing. I asked my local mechanic that I have used for a few years and he declined the request. My odometer recently passed 95K miles and on a random day driving home through the local streets, my car was making grinding noises while turning and didn't accelerate smoothly. I had it towed the next morning to the dealer and they replaced PTU for $2000.

I called three dealers in my area and they won't change it either. The one that just did my a/c compressor wrote it up and checked level and noted it on the service report. I just bought a 9 year 100,000 mile esp from ford for $1400 and have it documented so if it goes it will be on them.

My guess is that since Ford states it is a "Lifetime" fluid that the dealers are afraid that if they change it and something were to happen, then they could be held accountable.

Peter

Ridiculous the consternation that surrounds this topic. If no drain plug, it can easily be sucked out the fill hole. Any local independent can/will do it if explained/show them what needs to happen. I have had it done on my 2014 Sport three times in 100,000 miles. Twice at Firestone and once at Ford...

Shumax

I literally just got back from my independent mechanic and had the fluid in the PTU and rear diff changed with Full Synthetic Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 for the PTU and 75W-90 for the rear diff. The PTU in our 2017 2.3 EB Explorer has a drain plug so that makes it easier to change the fluid. My indie mechanic charged $31.50 for labor to do the PTU change. Since the rear needed to be siphoned out through the fill plug it took longer, the labor charge was $52.50. Previously the dealer charged $88 for labor alone for the PTU. I was with the indie mechanic in the shop while he did the work, it was interesting to watch. He knew what he was doing. The cost for the Amsoil with shipping and NJ tax was $18 for the 75W-90 and $19 for the 75W-140. So for me the overall cost for both services was minor for the peace of mind.

Whimsey

I called three dealers in my area and they won't change it either. The one that just did my a/c compressor wrote it up and checked level and noted it on the service report. I just bought a 9 year 100,000 mile esp from ford for $1400 and have it documented so if it goes it will be on them.

Sorry to threadjack, but what specific Ford ESP coverage did you get for 9 yrs/100K for $1,400 and where did you buy it from?

Ridiculous the consternation that surrounds this topic. If no drain plug, it can easily be sucked out the fill hole. Any local independent can/will do it if explained/show them what needs to happen. I have had it done on my 2014 Sport three times in 100,000 miles. Twice at Firestone and once at Ford...

Shumax

There is a Firestone near me. I will reach out to them next time and see what they say.

Because of everything I've read regarding the PTU in this forum I asked a Ford service advisor about the PTU in 5th generation Explorers and his response was "he sees more problems with them then what he would like to see". I asked if the fluid could be changed on mine and he said the dealership will not do it because it's sealed unit. I called another Ford dealer and the advisor said they could change it.

With that said, how does anyone with a sealed PTU know if fluid really was changed and the right amount of new fluid was put back in? Are you asking to take a look at the old fluid, or simply trusting or watching the mechanic do the work? With oil changes it's easy to verify new oil at the correct level on a dipstick.

I always ask for a sample back in a cup. They never fight me on it. I sent mine to Blackstone - search my post. Came back looking good on the interval I used.

Shumax

Sorry to threadjack, but what specific Ford ESP coverage did you get for 9 yrs/100K for $1,400 and where did you buy it from?
Save $$ on Genuine Ford Protect Extended Service Plans (ESP)
They call it a nine year plan because they start with the day the vehicle was purchased new and they count the original 3 years but it is really 6 years/ 100,000 miles. It was a certified used when I bought it so you can get a longer ESP from ford then if you purchased it new and its cheeper
It was $1600 my mistake. $1400 was for the 75,000 mile/9 year

Save $$ on Genuine Ford Protect Extended Service Plans (ESP)
They call it a nine year plan because they start with the day the vehicle was purchased new and they count the original 3 years but it is really 6 years/ 100,000 miles.
FYI, all Ford ESP Warranties begin on the vehicle's 'In Service Date' although I wasn't aware it applied to a 'pre-owned' . Also, being a 'pre-owned' vehicle, the cost would be more than a similar ESP on a new vehicle. Still much less than we would pay in Canada.

Peter

Shumax

Agree on the ridiculous. Just frustrating that some dealers won't do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI, all Ford ESP Warranties begin on the vehicle's 'In Service Date' although I wasn't aware it applied to a 'pre-owned' . Also, being a 'pre-owned' vehicle, the cost would be more than a similar ESP on a new vehicle. Still much less than we would pay in Canada.

Peter
I don't know about pre-owned but it is cheeper on a certified used than if you bought it new. This is because a certified used has a better warantey than new. You get 3yr/36000 miles original plus 12mo/ 12000 bumper to bumper and you get 7yr/100000 mi powertrain coverage on certified used. This is why the ESP is cheeper on a certified used vehicle
https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/global/pdf/cpo/ford_cpo_warranty.pdf

Back