• Register Today It's free!

AC problems, no gauge movement

Badgrandpa

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger, 2.5l,
My 01 rangers ac clutch activates and pulls in, but there is no movement whatsoever on my guage, it remains at the pressure I start with. Is it possible that even though that clutch pulls in the compressor still won't work. What do I need to do to fix this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the engine noise indicate a change in load when the clutch kicks in? What do the gages read?

The engine is not making the tell tale noise that the ac would make when it kicked in. My pressure just stays at 90. No movement whatsoever

Key question: How long is the 'on' cycle?

If several seconds and low-side pressure doesn't drop, I'm guessing the compressor is done. Also noted no pressure change in my case, but compressor was quick-cycling and cooling was proportional to cycle time. This led me to believe (correctly) that nothing was wrong with the refrigeration system. Turned out to be a bad high-pressure switch.

(Please post your result. ...and co$t.)

Is there any "Sweat Back" on the return line from the evaporator to the accumulator?

My 01 rangers ac clutch activates and pulls in

You say the clutch pulls in? You hear it click.

Clutch plate straps could be broken or the clutch plate is burned out.

Clutch itself and carrier bearing can be replaced but it is more cost effective to buy the compressor kit.

Back