3.5l Ecoboost vs Raptor 3.5l Ecoboost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3.5l Ecoboost vs Raptor 3.5l Ecoboost

Eject

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Does anyone know what the differences are between the regular 3.5l Ecoboost in the Explorer vs. the 3.5l Ecoboost in the F150 Raptor with 450hp?

I would appreciate any insight or knowledge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if this helps; Ecoboost differences
Also, the same size engine can be tuned to produce different HP and Torque specs which has been discussed in the Forum.

Peter

Thanks for the reply, I'm specifically interested in the physical differences ie. pistons, con rods, cams, heads, etc.

I'm curious if any Ford partsmen have actually done a comparison in the parts catalog.

I am pretty sure the Raptor Ecoboost is gen 2 while the Ecoboost in the Explorer is still the gen 1. Meaning that the V1 Ecoboost does not have dual injection. Even then, the FWD based models using the Ecoboost has always had different turbos.

I am pretty sure the Raptor Ecoboost is gen 2 while the Ecoboost in the Explorer is still the gen 1. Meaning that the V1 Ecoboost does not have dual injection. Even then, the FWD based models using the Ecoboost has always had different turbos.

You are correct.

I believe that the 3.5l Ecoboost in the Ford GT uses the v2, but it pumps out 650hp. I'm pretty sure that Ford claims that it shares 60% of the parts with the F150 engine.

All New Ecoboost Have Dual VTC Old Gen Only Have In Intake Side

All New Ecoboost Have Dual VTC Old Gen Only Have In Intake Side

Your post is somewhat misleading. When you say all new Ecoboost... it is the 2nd Gen Ecoboost that have it. The 3.5 still in the Explorers are still the 1st gen.

Gen1 3.5L Ecoboost on the F150 also had dual variable camshafts.

Back