Shock - When to Replace

timmyt101

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hi Everyone...

My 2007 XLT Explorer just turned 100,000 (4.6L, AWD). Tire wear is fine, steering is good and no signs of any leaks around the shafts/housing. It does seem to bounce a little more that it used to, but that may be because I'm thinking about it and perception is off. If I push down hard on each corner of the vehicle, there's no extra bounce/rebound. Is this an item to address because of mileage or am I good until something like the tire wear or leak is detected? The truck is in great shape and I plan on driving it for several more years. Thanks.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you replace the shocks when you either have leaks or when you go over a bump and the car keeps bouncing for a few seconds. I have 136k on my car original shocks.

At 100k you will almost certainly notice an improvement if you change them. Even if they haven’t leaked, the oil inside does wear.

I know I am due for a replacement of the struts all around.
I am at 265 k on original ones, the handling is "ok", no leaks or no real issues.
But driving my son's 07 with 125k miles I can tell the difference - it's much firmer.
It's just the matter for me what should I replace first: i have a list for the summer; fuel pump, shocks, ball joints,flush the tranny again, .....

I put Monroe Quick Stuts on my Ex @ about 155k and it completely changed the handling and acceleration/braking feel. It is solid now - no rolling in turns or nose diving it braking, which also makes it safer and braking waaay better.

Sounds like it would not be a bad investment since I plan to drive it for a while. Thanks everyone.

Sounds like it would not be a bad investment since I plan to drive it for a while. Now the question is: MOOG, Monroe, KYB, Bilstein, Rancho, etc.?

+1 for Monroe. Got all 4 quick struts from rocka for a pretty good deal. Went with moog ball joints and bar end links

+1 for Monroe. Got all 4 quick struts from rocka for a pretty good deal. Went with moog ball joints and bar end links

Ditto on quickstruts and sway bar links

FREE to good home: All 4 strut assemblies from my 2010 Limited with power-fold 3rd row. I mention that because they use a different spring on the 3rd row equipped vehicles. Vehicle was not being driven regularly and I noticed there was a stain on the driveway under the left rear so it appears that the left rear strut seal gave out as the shock tube was wet. I never drove it like that and went with the Rancho leveling kit. Truck had about 100K on the clock when replaced, however it rode fine.

I'd really hate to see these just get tossed into a landfill or melted down when they can benefit someone. Obviously it makes sense to pick them up as shipping might make them not worth the effort, but I don't know.

All are marked with location (LR, RR, etc.) Again these are FREE to whomever wants them.

Thanks

I like Monroe and Rancho. I tried Bilsteins on our Super Duty but found they were not much better than stock. I would stay far away from Moog as their quality has been lacking in recent years even with US parts. At lease on Super Duty parts this has been the case. The rubber boot quality and joints wear out unusually fast.

I have used Moog ball joints s as well as upper/lower control arms with no problems. The struts I am looking at ranch 9000xl for the front but still researching for the rear since Rancho 9000xl aren't made for the rear anymore.

Back