• Register Today It's free!

timing chain

Iowa_XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Ia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I have recently been quoted at about $1500 for a new timing chain. From what I have read on this forum, it seems to be the plastic guides that are bad. If i were to get a new timing chain would that be worth it, or should I just do the tensioners and drive it easy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep. I see that engine is notorious for this issue.

I don’t think the chain is usually the issue. I think the guides fail, the chain slacks, and it jumps time.

Yes the price looks good, maybe a little too good. I would confirm whether the mechanic knows what he's getting into, pulling the engine and replacing the guides too, and if it's not a shop (or even if it is in some cases) what the guaranteed (in writing, "time is of the essence" and a date) turnaround time for this is going to be.

Would replacing the chain and guides completely fix that problem?

It’ll give you more time. There is no ‘fix’ for the poor design.

Mine just started chattering a month ago (90K in the clock). I replaced the hydraulic tensioners and it stopped for now. Only $140 for the tensioners. Ended up having to replace my thermostat housing because the coolant sensor seized in the original housing. That cost me another $150 including the two smaller hoses. Gonna pull my intake next time just to avoid screwing with the stat. Intake gaskets $3 on Rockauto.com

Opted to not spend $750 in parts at this time to get the chain kit at this time. If it keeps me rolling for another 20-25K, I’ll think about the chains. Maybe I’ll opt for a 302 by then. Gonna have to pin down a computer first if I go that route.

Mine just started chattering a month ago (90K in the clock). I replaced the hydraulic tensioners and it stopped for now. Only $140 for the tensioners. Ended up having to replace my thermostat housing because the coolant sensor seized in the original housing. That cost me another $150 including the two smaller hoses. Gonna pull my intake next time just to avoid screwing with the stat. Intake gaskets $3 on Rockauto.com

Opted to not spend $750 in parts at this time to get the chain kit at this time. If it keeps me rolling for another 20-25K, I’ll think about the chains. Maybe I’ll opt for a 302 by then. Gonna have to pin down a computer first if I go that route.
Going to need a whole lot more than a computer. If actually considering a 5.0 swap it’s best to buy a complete donor. In your case a 99-01.

Thank you, Sir. That is very helpful info. I’m a complete noob when it comes to Xplos. Didn’t know it was going to be that extensive. Maybe I’ll just spring for the chain kit and store it for the eventual.

It’ll give you more time. There is no ‘fix’ for the poor design.
Sure but in this context, if the replacement guide is as long lived as the original, that extra time is another 20 years and I'd expect another engine or tranny part to put it in the grave first (if not a texting teenage plowing into it, this is why I hate investing in old vehicles where someone else is the cause of end of life!).

I have another 100k kms on mine since I pulled the engine and did the timing chains and cassettes. Little bit of a rattle on dry morning starts, none if I crank it before I start it. Other then that its still chugging along.

How much did that cost?

I did it myself on the cheap. I found a used OTC timing kit for 150. I cheeped out on the gaskets and kit from rock auto and went with Engine tech. The kit was garbage, and the gaskets needed a lot of cutting down. I do regret doing that. I have already had to replace the tensioners with cloyes. If I had to do it again, It would be all Cloyes gear, and felpro gaskets. I bought a used engine stand for 40 bucks, and borrowed a friends cherry picker. I bought all of my TTY parts and Ford OEM stuff from whitebear auto parts, so it was half or less then it was up here I think it was around 400 bucks. I ended up probably buying another 300 bucks in tools I didn't have. In the end, I figured I was around 1400 bucks Canadian out of pocket. I have already rented out my OTC kit twice for 50 dollars each time, so I made a bit back.

Use the correct aftermarket guides with the metal support in the back and you should be fine. The problem is not with the SOHC itself, but the idiot who decided to use a whole plastic piece for a guide. It crumbles and breaks over time. Put a new set in and you will get another 100k miles out of that engine.

Thank you, Sir. That is very helpful info. I’m a complete noob when it comes to Xplos. Didn’t know it was going to be that extensive. Maybe I’ll just spring for the chain kit and store it for the eventual.

It does sound like a lot for the swap, but when done you will be worry free, with a drivetrain good for well over 200k miles.
When a wiring harness is removed, you'd be surprised at how well it falls back into place. Everything from the donor vehicle will just about fall right into place, and, ford is real good about making connectors that cannot be plugged into the wrong thing.

Even when fixed I would not trust the sohc engine as far. The problem is design. No real fix, just a symptom treatment over and over.

I hear that, Jon. I will keep my eyes open for a V8 unit. Ruby( my red ‘99) is too nice to let the SOHC demon take her out of service.

Last year I swapped a built 350 into my ‘95 Silverado that was born with a 4.3 V6. That was a pain because GM switched computers in ‘95 but not for the small block V8’s with a 5 speed. Required pouring over 7 different wiring diagrams to cross connect the right computer correctly.

Thanks again.

Even when fixed I would not trust the sohc engine as far. The problem is design. No real fix, just a symptom treatment over and over.

Interesting considering how many high mileage SOHC's are out there. My parents own one with over 220k miles on the clock WITHOUT the guides ever being replaced and that engine is a beast with 4.10's.

I have helped pull and replace timing chain guides on several SOHC's and each one has never failed once the replacement is done. It is NOT a bad engine, just a poor OEM guide design. Just like restrictive exhaust headers on the V8 or temperamental head gaskets on the OHV. Granted it's more of a pain to fix, but not worth chucking the whole engine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting considering how many high mileage SOHC's are out there. My parents own one with over 220k miles on the clock WITHOUT the guides ever being replaced and that engine is a beast with 4.10's.

I have helped pull and replace timing chain guides on several SOHC's and each one has never failed once the replacement is done. It is NOT a bad engine, just a poor OEM guide design. Just like restrictive exhaust headers on the V8 or temperamental head gaskets on the OHV. Granted it's more of a pain to fix, but not worth chucking the whole engine.
Spoken by a guy who did a 5.0 swap to replace his sohc

Back