4L hi-mileage synthetic... opinions? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4L hi-mileage synthetic... opinions?

I used to use Fram all the time, but haven't done so for years. Fram oil filter problems were widely reported approx.10-12 years ago--particularly on the low-end (basic) models. A number of websites and youtube videos comparing/testing/cutting open various competing filters have documented this. Fram's higher-end filters (e.g., "toughguard") do not suffer the same problems, as I recall. Search Bob's The Oil Guy website/forum, or just do google search. Or go ahead and use Fram!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, never had any issues with Fram either? Also used it for 100k miles on my Sable and many other vehicles. Do you have any evidence to direct me towards??
It’s well documented that for the money there are much better filter options. 100k miles is hardly a quality endurance test these days. An engine can go 100k easily with lots of hard use and 10k oil change intervals. With Mobile 1 Extended and Motorcraft/Wix filters and 20-25k change intervals I got 220k out of my last Mountaineer motor with virtually no oil usage, constant abuse, temperature extremes, plowing, towing, and no real maintenance. It ran extremely well when I parked it, and I’d pull the motor and put it back into service without too much worry. There are better options than Motorcraft, but for tune up items it’s as “low end” as I’ll go.

I see! I'll have to check out some videos. I always used the Toughgaurd Fram filters if that matters any? The 100k was on top of the existing 100k (of unknown maintenance) when I bought it and she never used up any noticeable amount of oil... although the underside was starting to look a little funky towards the end.

Well I think I'll just stick with the Mobile 1 filters and maybe switch to regular Mobile 1 full synthetic instead of the high mileage stuff... all good info!

Interesting other filter choices. I never looked for a longer FL820S, but those linked to are way too high now(one was $18). There's plenty of room in the V6 trucks for a larger filter, but the 302's have few choices.

Someone posted a Ford oil filter adapter, which angles the filter the same way, but doesn't have the extension portion that requires a short filter. It may work well to be able to go back to a full size filter on the 302 with that adapter. I was watching it on eBay a while back, it was about $75 IIRC.

I'm going to mount external filters eventually, so I don't need that kind of adapter. I might put one on my spare Mercury if someone else might confirm the adapter will work for the Explorer. I'd bet it's a standard thread too, for an FL1A and matching thread types. If it is, then it will also require a different black adapter, the threaded part which screws into the block. All pre-96 SBF's use the old standard thread block adapter.

At the local Ford dealer - $30 5w-20 Motorcraft oil/filer with full inspection and car wash.
My MM has been going off about 7K miles each time and dealer records show this routine since new. Why overthink oil changes on these Explorers? Motorcraft is a very good semisynthetic oil. I'm at 175K miles and done climbing under my truck years ago. I'd rather be watching Sportscenter in the waiting room or sitting in a new Shelby Mustang while checking email.

At the local Ford dealer - $30 5w-20 Motorcraft oil/filer with full inspection and car wash.
My MM has been going off about 7K miles each time and dealer records show this routine since new. Why overthink oil changes on these Explorers? Motorcraft is a very good semisynthetic oil. I'm at 175K miles and done climbing under my truck years ago. I'd rather be watching Sportscenter in the waiting room or sitting in a new Shelby Mustang while checking email.
Nice!

Motorcraft oil and filter all she needs!

Back