Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squealing Noise When Wet, Belt?

Hello everyone! Have we determined that it's a belt issue, tensioner issue, or a missing flaw/ design? I have a 2013 Explorer with almost 80,000 miles and have recently started having this problem, always when it's raining. I hear it squeal a little, and feel it "catch" in the steering and with the rest of the vehicle. I have never noticed it to dim or any other problems. I'm wondering if the Ford service tech has been able to figure out a permanent solution or if anyone else has.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had replaced my belt with a OEM one and it started happening again in less then a year.

Got one from NAPA, swapped it again and with over 60k on this one, never had it happen again.

I had replaced my belt with a OEM one and it started happening again in less then a year.

Got one from NAPA, swapped it again and with over 60k on this one, never had it happen again.

How much was the one from Napa and what was the brand name?

Ok this happening to me again and from a previous post I wrote, I had the tensioner and belt replaced in Feb 2016. It rained fairly heavy here in Delaware the other day and it started acting up. Belt squealing, wipers getting sluggish and lights dimming. The previous time my whole electrical system went down while driving on I95. A little scary. Like mentioned before only when it is raining and/or wet. I did see somewhere on these forums that the Ecoboost engine has some type of cover to protect the belt. I do not have an ecoboost. Any word on why this keeps happening or if Ford has figured maybe recall on it
I just had all of the above happen to me on a cold, icy night coming home from work but hope I've diagnosed the problem. I've had my 2012 Ford Explorer for a few years and the serpentine belt has always squealed a bit when I ran through the least little puddle of water but when I lost power steering, lights dimmed, heater fan quit running, all on a dark, icy road, I too was scared. The "Check Charging System" light came on. Took my Explorer in for regular maintenance and asked shop to check for missing deflector shield underneath motor to keep water off serpentine belt. He called & said "Yes" part missing and has ordered. Waiting for part & to have installed. Will let everyone know if this takes care of problem. Wondering if this was an engineering screw up since so many people have posted the same problem.

I just had all of the above happen to me on a cold, icy night coming home from work but hope I've diagnosed the problem. I've had my 2012 Ford Explorer for a few years and the serpentine belt has always squealed a bit when I ran through the least little puddle of water but when I lost power steering, lights dimmed, heater fan quit running, all on a dark, icy road, I too was scared. The "Check Charging System" light came on. Took my Explorer in for regular maintenance and asked shop to check for missing deflector shield underneath motor to keep water off serpentine belt. He called & said "Yes" part missing and has ordered. Waiting for part & to have installed. Will let everyone know if this takes care of problem. Wondering if this was an engineering screw up since so many people have posted the same problem.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you

Peter

I have heard a squeaky belt sound (only in wet road conditions) for years and the dealerships were unable diagnose or fix it. Recently, while driving on the highway in heavy rain, my 2011 Ford Explorer completely lost power (no windshield wipers, power steering, power braking, turn signals, headlights, etc.). I believe this incident was caused by the same issue you experienced. My family and I are extremely lucky that we weren't in an accident. Was your issue fixed after the belt was replaced? Any information would be greatly appreciated!

I have heard a squeaky belt sound (only in wet road conditions) for years and the dealerships were unable diagnose or fix it. Recently, while driving on the highway in heavy rain, my 2011 Ford Explorer completely lost power (no windshield wipers, power steering, power breaking, turn signals, headlights, etc.). I believe this incident was caused by the same issue you experienced. My family and I are extremely lucky that we weren't in an accident. Was your issue fixed after the belt was replaced? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Did some research on this problem and took my 2012 Ford Explorer in to local Ford dealership shop supervisor and asked if there was supposed to be some type of shield underneath that protected serpentine belt from getting wet from road water. Shop supervisor investigated and found that newer models do have a shield underneath. I had them order part and install. Work order refers to part as "cover" but shop supervisor referred to part as "lower shield". Part cost was less than $75 and Ford dealership did not charge me labor since I'm a regular customer there and told them I'd been on Ford forum investigating problem and it appears that it was an engineering problem. This part was installed in January 2018 and I have not had any more problems.

Hey @southerngirl321,
The shield you speak of is likely the air scoop included with the trailer package. I had one on my Explorer and removed it (for reasons...) and then had the issue described in this thread with the alternator belt slipping in heavy rain and/or snow.
In the end, I crafted my own plate from some aluminum sheeting to solve the problem :)

Hey @southerngirl321..........The shield you speak of is likely the air scoop included with the trailer package.
Lower Shield - Ford (FB5Z-7810494-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
The purpose of this 'shield' is to direct air to the PTU/transmission area for cooling. It wouldn't be there to prevent water from splashing on the belt because it is only on vehicles with the factory tow package which all Explorers wouldn't have. The fact that it does prevent some water from getting on the belt is a secondary benefit.

Peter

Hey @southerngirl321,
The shield you speak of is likely the air scoop included with the trailer package. I had one on my Explorer and removed it (for reasons...) and then had the issue described in this thread with the alternator belt slipping in heavy rain and/or snow.
In the end, I crafted my own plate from some aluminum sheeting to solve the problem :)
No, this was not an air scoop and I do not have a trailer package. Before the shield was put on, I could look from top of engine down to ground. This shield covers the underside of the serpentine belt.

I absolutely agree.
Well, regardless of it's purpose on the trailer package, by having this shield installed, it solved the problem. I've driven through water plenty of times since then over a six month period and no more squealing serpentine belt and no more check charging system light. For anyone having this problem, I would suggest that for such a small investment, have the part installed. Again, it solved my problem and it may save your life.

Anyone have any updates on this? My 2011 Explorer XLT with the tow package about 68K miles has started the squealing noise when its been wet out lately. The blower also seems to lose its power when it happens. Last year when driving in a horrible rain storm the vehicle did lose all power and a had charging system error. Dealer told me it was a bad battery so replaced and it has been fine since. I see southerngirl321s note about the lower shield? Anyone know if that seems to fix it? Or if it is just a tensioner?

Change the belt, not usually a tensioner.

Welcome to the Forum Millerkiller.:wave:

Peter

Well, regardless of it's purpose on the trailer package, by having this shield installed, it solved the problem. I've driven through water plenty of times since then over a six month period and no more squealing serpentine belt and no more check charging system light. For anyone having this problem, I would suggest that for such a small investment, have the part installed. Again, it solved my problem and it may save your life.

Hi @southerngirl321,

Is the lower shield Lower Shield - Ford (FB5Z-7810494-A) | TascaParts.com what they put on your Explorer? I have the tow package that includes this already and my belt still squeals any time it is the least bit wet out. It is my biggest annoyance with the vehicle and has gotten to the point that I hate driving it in the rain. It starts squealing and loses some power (only in the rain/wet) and then will feel the car thump back to full power when the squealing stops. If they gave you some other belt shield/protector, I would love to know what part is was so I could try it. Otherwise I am trying to figure out how to custom build one, because driving the car like this is not any fun. Thanks for your help!

Hi @southerngirl321,

Is the lower shield Lower Shield - Ford (FB5Z-7810494-A) | TascaParts.com what they put on your Explorer? I have the tow package that includes this already and my belt still squeals any time it is the least bit wet out. It is my biggest annoyance with the vehicle and has gotten to the point that I hate driving it in the rain. It starts squealing and loses some power (only in the rain/wet) and then will feel the car thump back to full power when the squealing stops. If they gave you some other belt shield/protector, I would love to know what part is was so I could try it. Otherwise I am trying to figure out how to custom build one, because driving the car like this is not any fun. Thanks for your help!

After 2 OEM belts, switched to a NAPA belt and 80k later, still no more squealing.

Hey everyone,

First post here. We’ve owned our explorer for a few months now and recently noticed the squeal when wet. It occasionally will hesitate and jump when it “kicks” back in. I’m curious to the above post, have we confirmed a part number for a splash guard? I’d love to fix this before it starts getting worse. Thanks!!

Hi @southerngirl321,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone,

First post here. We’ve owned our explorer for a few months now and recently noticed the squeal when wet. It occasionally will hesitate and jump when it “kicks” back in. I’m curious to the above post, have we confirmed a part number for a splash guard? I’d love to fix this before it starts getting worse. Thanks!!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unfortunately, southerngirl321 hasn't been active here since her last post. That is one of the frustrating things about a forum. That "splash shield" is actually an OEM air duct that came with Explorers that had the factory tow package. It was to help channel air from the cutout in the front lower valance to the area of the transmission/PTU for cooling. That was its purpose. Whether a secondary benefit was to act as a splash shield, I can't say.

Peter

Back