Uncomfortable front seats | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Uncomfortable front seats

Let's see...you list "raise" twice. And you have "up" and "raise", and "down" and "lower". So I think you only have 7 :D.

Full disclosure, I have not read the manual either. So maybe those really are 10 :confused2:.

Can't forget the seat back.
Here's what I get for 10 ways.

Seat back tilt: Forward / Backward
Seat Bottom: Forward / Backward / Back(Up and Down) / Front(Up and Down)
Lumbar: In / Out

The way I see it, it's actually a 5 way adjustable, but each "way" has 2 directions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 2016 Limited and absolutely can't stand the front seats. When the temps drop the leather gets harder and those narrow seats with high bolsters are a *****. If you like to spread your legs while driving the bolster will dig into your leg in about 1 hr of driving making it hell. Why do these designers think SUV owners want sport car seats with high bolsters is a question. I tried seats in a 15 explorer sport and they are much more comfortable as the bolsters are not that high. I see lots of people are complaining about them, damn shame as i love the truck. Anyway, i'm taking mine to a local upholster who will take out the seat and shave off the bolster making it flat. This should help a ton, all for a few hundred bucks. We'll see how they turn out.

I have 2016 Limited and absolutely can't stand the front seats. When the temps drop the leather gets harder and those narrow seats with high bolsters are a *****. If you like to spread your legs while driving the bolster will dig into your leg in about 1 hr of driving making it hell. Why do these designers think SUV owners want sport car seats with high bolsters is a question. I tried seats in a 15 explorer sport and they are much more comfortable as the bolsters are not that high. I see lots of people are complaining about them, damn shame as i love the truck. Anyway, i'm taking mine to a local upholster who will take out the seat and shave off the bolster making it flat. This should help a ton, all for a few hundred bucks. We'll see how they turn out.
Hey Chris. While I haven't been on any long trips I can say that I've become used to the seats after finding them somewhat uncomfortable at first. Found the seat cushion a bit short.

Please add the now required "Trim Level" (Limited) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be useful info to have a times. Thank you.

Peter

I found the Explorer seats very comfortable. I went on a 5K 5 state road trip with my 2015 Explorer and I did an average of 7 hours driving every day and it didnt hurt my back at all. I was very comfortable and at the end of the day I felt great.

That's just it, 2015 had completely different seats. I wish and wonder if I could swap 16 for 15.

Hey Chris. While I haven't been on any long trips I can say that I've become used to the seats after finding them somewhat uncomfortable at first. Found the seat cushion a bit short.

Please add the now required "Trim Level" (Limited) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be useful info to have a times. Thank you.

Peter

Done, Thanks

I also find my seats overall comfortable for sure, but I will say the seat bottom is a little short and could be longer. Our other car does not have an adjustable lumbar support and really felt it on our 1,300 mile road trip and was nice to get back in the Explorer and feel that support.

I'm very picky about seat comfort, especially for long drives. We went on a 3,600 mile trip this passed June in our 2017 XLT with the 2.3 and I have to say the seats were "almost" super, if the seat bottom was a bit longer they would have been super. As it was they were really comfortable for being in the seat for hours at a time, no back or butt fatigue.

Whimsey

I'm very picky about seat comfort, especially for long drives. We went on a 3,600 mile trip this passed June in our 2017 XLT with the 2.3 and I have to say the seats were "almost" super, if the seat bottom was a bit longer they would have been super. As it was they were really comfortable for being in the seat for hours at a time, no back or butt fatigue.

Whimsey

I am 5'7" so the seats feel perfect for me. I think the leather seats have more support than the cloth seats. I had a 17 loaner XLT while my new Explorer was being delivered and it had cloth seats and it felt weird. Didnt feel as supportive. My wife was also complaining about it as well after getting used to the 15 leather seats. Then I showed the wife the massage feature in the new car and now she doesnt want to leave the car :D

When I bought the 2014 Explorer, I specifically looked for cloth seats. I cannot stand leather since I have to peel myself off it every time I get off. I put seat cushion (mesh support for back and beads for butt/legs) to increase air circulation and don't have any problems.

dunno

reference to post #19

I found it by using the handy search feature and checked the box for "Search this thread only." Just be careful as the search feature is not the greatest. When I searched "washer", it came back with no results. When I searched"washers", it returned results.

reference to post #19

I found it by using the handy search feature and checked the box for "Search this thread only." Just be careful as the search feature is not the greatest. When I searched "washer", it came back with no results. When I searched"washers", it returned results.
Yes the search is very particular in that regard.

I've had my '17 Limited for a week now and my lower thighs start to get sore after about 10-15 minutes of driving. I read several professional reviews where they say the seats are too short, but on my brief test drives I didn't notice it. And they don't seem any shorter than in my Mazda6 and I have no comfort problems with those. I think it's what someone said earlier on this thread, there's a ridge towards the forward end of the seat bottom that's pushing up on my legs. Maybe it's only on the ventilated seats. I've tried all the adjustments and if you lower the front of the seat to reduce the pressure then you just have no leg support and you feel like you're sliding forward.

But it's not my daily driver so I only have to put up with it on road trips. My wife hasn't complained so far.

I’m suffering with my base model seats and i’m seriously Thinking about retrofit another model seats into the explorer, do you guys think ford flex will fix without any modifications on the connector ?

I just bought my 2018 Base Explorer 2 weeks ago. I am still trying to get used to the narrow short seats, anyone find a workaround?

I just bought my 2018 Base Explorer 2 weeks ago. I am still trying to get used to the narrow short seats, anyone find a workaround?
Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
In my case it was TIME. I noticed it at first but not any more.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Mike, like Peter said, it takes time. I'm 6'2'' and found it very noticeable at first as far as the narrowness. It really doesn't bother me anymore to be honest. Congrats on the purchase!

Back