Ford Explorer front brack lines | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer front brack lines

micromack

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
Hello all. My daughter has a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4.0L Flex. She seems to have developed a small pin hole in one of the brake lines inside the engine compartment. Part number from what I can find on the ford parts website is 5L2Z-2264-A. Looks like this part is discontinued. Any recommendations on how I can get this part? I see one dealership in Florida has it listed available on their website, but reviews from public seem to indicate this is a shady place, questioning whether they can actually get it or not.

Is this something I can get at a junk yard? Any other alternatives?

Pulled the existing line off today, got some pics to share, is that 3rd picture fitting a regular double flare? Fitting is like the female part of a union, most vids only deal with the male side on the brake line.

20180620_202053_resized.jpg

20180620_203438_resized.jpg

20180620_203516_resized.jpg

20180620_210109_resized.jpg

Ford_2_Ford_cgm_0008_a000817302_a000817302_2264.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your best bet is to either try the junk yard route or you are going to have to make your own most likely. You might get lucky with a direct aftermarket but I highly doubt it. I have that same year model and vin as well. From the picture I saw by looking up the part number on fordgiantparts.com it doesn't look like the one at autozone is the correct one. https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...t/duralast-brake-hose-front/208808_99196_2362

Best of luck with it as this is something I will be watching as well.

Your best bet is to either try the junk yard route or you are going to have to make your own most likely. You might get lucky with a direct aftermarket but I highly doubt it. I have that same year model and vin as well. From the picture I saw by looking up the part number on fordgiantparts.com it doesn't look like the one at autozone is the correct one. https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...t/duralast-brake-hose-front/208808_99196_2362

Best of luck with it as this is something I will be watching as well.
That Autozone part is the part at the wheel that goes from the brake line I'm replacing to the caliper. So you are correct, it's not the correct part.

Hello all. My daughter has a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4.0L Flex. She seems to have developed a small pin hole in one of the brake lines inside the engine compartment. Part number from what I can find on the ford parts website is 5L2Z-2264-A. Looks like this part is discontinued. Any recommendations on how I can get this part? I see one dealership in Florida has it listed available on their website, but reviews from public seem to indicate this is a shady place, questioning whether they can actually get it or not.

Is this something I can get at a junk yard? Any other alternatives?

Pulled the existing line off today, got some pics to share, is that 3rd picture fitting a regular double flare? Fitting is like the female part of a union, most vids only deal with the male side on the brake line.

View attachment 160247

View attachment 160248

View attachment 160249

View attachment 160250

View attachment 160251

Ok, just an update in case anyone comes across this thread later...

Ended up making my own. Took my time to bend to match as closely as possible to the original. Had difficulty finding the end with the female fitting. So ended up just cutting the fittings off the original line and reusing then. Good thing I took my time taking the line off the truck and didn’t damage them.

New line came out well and went on without any issue. Being **** about making it match the original turned out to be a good thing. I didn’t have to fight it at all. Everything just lined up and fitting threaded right on no problem!

Advice... if you haven’t double flared a line before (was my first time), do yourself a favor and practice! You’ll get to know your flaring tool and what pressures/torques produce the best flares! I did about 8 practice flares before I got it right and consistent. There are some tight bends on this line so if you make a mistake, it’s going to suck to have to start over!

My biggest lesson learned was the 2nd step/flare. I wasn’t torquing the tool down enough and this resulted is off-center flares. Once I tortured it hard (use lubricant) it came out perfect and had no leaks!

Good to hear you got it fixed the right way! Yeah I kinda figured you were going to have to go that way and possibly re-using the fittings which I have done before on cars & usually it works out just fine.

I presume you did not replicate the braided/flexible portion. Does the replacement line seem to withstand the engine torque (?) or whatever vibration/twist that braid w??as designed to deal with?

Oh, and congrats.

Back