Transmission fluid | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid

Too much fluid definitely could cause the transmission to slip, but it sounds like yours is hesitating, (maybe too little fluid). Stupid suggestion but definitely can't hurt: could you reset the PCM to get a baseline? Then, using torque, see if your symptoms appear when you're at a certain temperature/gear/rpm combo just to circle back and see if it's the transmission? It could definitely be too much fluid, but it's so odd that it didn't present that issue 12k miles ago. Any chance you could park over some cardboard to try and locate the source of that oil drip?

And Christobal65, thanks for the post! Could never figure out how to look at the real transmission temp!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should add, 12k miles ago the valve body was replaced which is why I know the fluid was changed then (diy job). The slipping could in fact be misfires not triggering any codes (I started a thread a couple months ago and some suggested replacing coil packs, but I have not been able to replace them yet), I just figured it was worth checking the fluid as it should have been simple enough.

There does seem to be a very specific speed that it does it, assuming the PCM is easy enough to reset logging with torque is not a bad idea.

Just a quick thought: could you swap the 7th and 8th coils with the first and second?

Should be a quick enough swap, someone just posted a thread with almost the exact symptoms I have and that coils fixed it for them. While I am not against replacing all 8, I wish I knew if it was just one or two causing the problem (assuming it is coils) especially as they are not the cheapest thing to replace, would use OEM / motorcraft

Should be a quick enough swap, someone just posted a thread with almost the exact symptoms I have and that coils fixed it for them. While I am not against replacing all 8, I wish I knew if it was just one or two causing the problem (assuming it is coils) especially as they are not the cheapest thing to replace, would use OEM / motorcraft
Exactly ! Those back two seem susceptible to rain and debris. If they're that bad, hopefully they throw a code since cylinders 1 & 2 are always firing. Could be nothing or even the plugs blah blah blah , but it won't cost a thing and should hopefully take no more than 10 minutes .

Back