Differential refill capacity

BootyDo

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited V8
Hi all
Just drained my rear differential and measured almost exactly 56oz. Reinstalled the drain bolt and pumped some new fluid and it came pouring back out at approximately 48oz. I did this on a level surface and the pump hose was in just a 1/4". Is there something I'm missing here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly it had taken on a bit of water at some point? Or possibly someone previously filled it when it was nose down, allowing a bit more in?

Thank you! That really explains it. But now I'm at a total loss on the speed sensor location. I was just under the truck and felt all around the top of the differential but for the life of me, can't locate any wires or bolts.

Super scared to drive the truck now so I took the day off. Definitely no ABS or speed sensor on the differential but I think I feel a 10mm bolt on the top of the housing. Turning UT is proving frustrating , but is that the final refill spot? Just wondering why to even bother with the "refill" plug on the face of the pumpkin cover if so.

Too late now, But this is just one more reason to always open the filler plug before draining the differential. In addition to making sure it is not sees shut, you would know right away if it was filled above the fill plug before draining

Too late now, But this is just one more reason to always open the filler plug before draining the differential. In addition to making sure it is not sees shut, you would know right away if it was filled above the fill plug before draining
Thank you! It was that bolt from the 3rd Gen. It still didn't want to take all of it, but much more confident now. And I broke the fill bolt, but thinking it would be at level , didn't take it out until I popped the drain bolt to keep things a little tidy when removing the drain bolt. Oddly enough, my shop manual never mentioned anything about the 3rd bolt.

Back