Replacing Stock Wranglers with BFG KO2’s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Stock Wranglers with BFG KO2’s

maxboi0807

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hi,

I own a 2007 Ford Explorer, RWD. It currently has the stock Goodyear Wrangler tires on it, but I’m looking to replace them with the BFG AT KO2’s (same size as the Wranglers). Obviously my truck is only 2WD, but I’m still able to do some light off roading and want to feel more confident in my tires.

My question is what do I have to know before I make this change? I realize my MPG will probably diminish from terrible to dismal, and there will be more road noise on the highway, but I’m asking about performance (long term and short term). Do I risk damaging my suspension by upgrading to beefier tires?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The BFGs are heavy. They are stiff. You will notice a rougher ride. My MPGs dropped noticeably, but I am running a larger size. They do wear well, and have good dry grip.

I think there are better tires in the price range.

I agree those are very heavy, I was comparing to them when I chose tires last year. I ended up with the Cooper Discoverer AT3, which is very popular and a good all around tire.

Watch the load range and ply count. The AT3 I have is one of three versions they make, each one has different ply counts, 7-11 etc. That BFG tire doesn't come as a light load range tire, they are all very strong, heavy, and more expensive.

I shopped a bit today due to sales this week. I noticed Cooper makes a Discoverer AT3 LT tire, which is 11 ply, about 43lbs each in the 245/70/16 I prefer. That's a tougher rubber compound, the tread shape seems the same as the AT3. It's a little more expensive, $145ish for me, but lots cheaper than the 11ply AT3, or the BFG tires. I'm likely to try that one, I drive on a small amount of gravel each day, which eats tires.

I run the Cooper Discovery AT3 in P265/70/16 on my 4x4 explorer overall I'm pretty happy with them. They are a lot heavier than the stock Forteras and louder. They have much better wet and dry grip though. I've also been impressed with the snow and dirt grip in the little bit of snow and fire roads I've been on.

I run the bfg's on mine, I also run them on my jeep. If you get the load range E tires, yes they will give you a stiffer ride, but go with the load range C or D tires, and you wont notice a difference other than the highway hum, which, IMO, isnt as bad as something like a 40 series flowmaster, and definetly quieter than the previous generation bgf t/a ko's. I wont buy any other tire, the BFG t/a ko2's are simply the best All Terrain tire out there.

As for being a heavy tire, that depends on the load range. The load range E tires are more heavy duty, and therefor heavier. But a 245/70R16 in load range D, a bigger tire than the Discoverer AT3 LT which is listed above at 43 pounds, the bfg is only 44.4 pounds... Yes the load range C/D tires have less plies than the load range E, but they still have more than your "average" AT tire....

To answer your question though, no, the BFG's in the same size you have now will not in any way damage your truck, and I doubt you will notice much if any MPG decrease.....

Back