Liftgate noises when opening | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate noises when opening

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen the lifting arm apart and it's a screw type of device that turns to lift and close.
Seems yours might need a lube, might be a simple repair.

Mine does the same thing ........ This is what your $$$$$ buys you!

Mine does the same thing ........ This is what your $$$$$ buys you!

If you think that the car is built like crap, you shouldn't, cause every car has issues, some worse than others....Ill give you an example....I had a volvo s70 and every time i would remotely open the locks at the same time that someone else would pull on the door handle, the automatic door lock would break...yes, the automatic door lock would break and it would cost me 200$ to fix every time...so i replaced 4 broken door locks (all different doors) at 200$ a pop....the piece was made out of plastic but the whole door lock would need replacement....and the volvo cost me more than the explorer...

If you think there wont be a click or a creak in any car, you are fooling yourself....

I wont tell you of problems i had with other cars, to tired to type....ill take a click over broken plastic locks any day...

If you think that the car is built like crap, you shouldn't, cause every car has issues, some worse than others....Ill give you an example....I had a volvo s70 and every time i would remotely open the locks at the same time that someone else would pull on the door handle, the automatic door lock would break...yes, the automatic door lock would break and it would cost me 200$ to fix every time...so i replaced 4 broken door locks (all different doors) at 200$ a pop....the piece was made out of plastic but the whole door lock would need replacement....and the volvo cost me more than the explorer...

If you think there wont be a click or a creak in any car, you are fooling yourself....

I wont tell you of problems i had with other cars, to tired to type....ill take a click over broken plastic locks any day...

I have NEVER owned a veh with as many problems as this truck ...... and at twice the price. Am I complaining? Nope ..... Just answering a question ....... I've given up on all the issues I am having ...... It's useless. More then half the time the problems cannot even be addressed by Ford. :(

I have NEVER owned a veh with as many problems as this truck ...... and at twice the price. Am I complaining? Nope ..... Just answering a question ....... I've given up on all the issues I am having ...... It's useless. More then half the time the problems cannot even be addressed by Ford. :(

Hi, look, in 2005 i bought a brand new 2005 honda odyssey...1 year later i saw rust on the door where the welding was, i got it repaired by Honda, the rust came back...AND every winter (only in winter) at 100 km/per hour there would be a whistling sound coming from the driver side door .. every winter at 100km/hour - brought it to honda but they never got the problem fixed...I learned to never drive in winter at exactly 100km/hr...awful - i got rid of the car - it was falling apart on me...i had a few issues with the honda...

In 1999 i bought a brand new Nissan pathfinder...it started rusting around the window passanger after 1 winter...after 3 years the suspension was changed, something broke, lucky it was under warranty...this must have been the worse car i have ever owned....i had lots of issues with that car...

My wife has a subaru outback...build like a rock (knock on wood)

I own a 2014 ford explorer...love the car - its a lease and will be changing it in 3 years...so far nothing major...

I dont remember the year, but i had bought a brand new mazda 626, had a few issues with it, electric mirror needed replacement, electric antenna needed replacement...nothing major...traded it in for my volvo s70...

I had lots of issues with the volvo s70 ... but it was a great car to drive...

I dont know what kind of problems you are having with your car, but as long as they are not major, like rust, engine or transmission and suspension i would call it minor annoyances....

Hi, look, in 2005 i bought a brand new 2005 honda odyssey...1 year later i saw rust on the door where the welding was, i got it repaired by Honda, the rust came back...AND every winter (only in winter) at 100 km/per hour there would be a whistling sound coming from the driver side door .. every winter at 100km/hour - brought it to honda but they never got the problem fixed...I learned to never drive in winter at exactly 100km/hr...awful - i got rid of the car - it was falling apart on me...i had a few issues with the honda...

In 1999 i bought a brand new Nissan pathfinder...it started rusting around the window passanger after 1 winter...after 3 years the suspension was changed, something broke, lucky it was under warranty...this must have been the worse car i have ever owned....i had lots of issues with that car...

My wife has a subaru outback...build like a rock (knock on wood)

I own a 2014 ford explorer...love the car - its a lease and will be changing it in 3 years...so far nothing major...

I dont remember the year, but i had bought a brand new mazda 626, had a few issues with it, electric mirror needed replacement, electric antenna needed replacement...nothing major...traded it in for my volvo s70...

I had lots of issues with the volvo s70 ... but it was a great car to drive...

I dont know what kind of problems you are having with your car, but as long as they are not major, like rust, engine or transmission and suspension i would call it minor annoyances....
Glad you don't mind wasting your money .... I do! Terrain management fails and lift gate opens while driving ...... At times can't even shut the radio off and have had the radio screen freeze up for days with Sirius blaming Ford and Ford saying it's Sirius. Your right, the liftgate noise is just another little gift from Ford. It does no good to bring it in as I get nowhere with these issues. I'm totally frustrated with this product and when someone questions if I am experiencing the same problem as them I answer. By the way, this issue came to light after a SECOND liftgate repair by Ford! First was for the liftgate not opening in cold weather and the second uncommanded opening when closing or already closed. I constantly scan all features on this truck as I never know what to expect it to do. :mad:

...It does no good to bring it in as I get nowhere with these issues...

Hi rmp301,

It's been a while since we last chatted via PM; I'm happy to do what I can to assist. Send me your information (name, phone number, mileage, VIN, servicing dealership) in a PM and I'll check out some options. I can assist with physical vehicle concerns, but all in-vehicle technology issues are best addressed by my colleagues on the forum, FordIVTTeam. They can be contacted here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=181992

Crystal

Liftgate actuator making knocking noises

The actuator on my power liftgate is making knocking noises when lifting the liftgate. It just stated doing this this past weekend. Well it is off to the dealership for a few issues. I also have a side window defroster vent that has paint chipping/peeling off, wind noise coming from the door seal and a few trim issues.

The actuator on my power liftgate is making knocking noises when lifting the liftgate. It just stated doing this this past weekend. Well it is off to the dealership for a few issues. I also have a side window defroster vent that has paint chipping/peeling off, wind noise coming from the door seal and a few trim issues.

I'm sure your dealership will be happy to take care of your noisy liftgate and the other issues you mentioned, Dr Plastic. Come back and tell us how your appointment goes. If you'd like, I can go ahead and loop in your regional customer service manager. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I didn't hear much in the video to be concerned with. my wife's 13 acadia rear door is noisier and I consider it to be functioning properly.

Is this normal?

Sorry to post complaint after complaint.

Was this ever resolved? My 2013 is doing the same thing and I cant seem to figure it out short of replacing the mechanism.

Was this ever resolved? My 2013 is doing the same thing and I cant seem to figure it out short of replacing the mechanism.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Hi Chris. I was going to send the member a PM and ask him to post a follow-up but the last time he was active here was April 2016. Can you isolate the noise at all to see if it may be coming from the strut or Actuator (motor)? I would guess perhaps the actuator but that's just a guess. It is part #9 in the following illustration; Lift Gate for 2013 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
Try listening closely to that part when operating the 'gate'. Good luck.

Peter

Mine tends to make that creeking noise going up and down as well.

BTW, it sounds like your door is pressing a little too hard against the striker--you might want to pull in your rubber stops on the door a bit. I'm picking that up from that extra actuator noise at the end--if I spin in the stoppers a little bit, you won't hear any of that.

Back