2000 Mercury Mountianeer engine removal question .. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Mercury Mountianeer engine removal question ..

Idaho_Dave

Reaction score
City, State
Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountianeer
I am about to pull the engine on my Mountaineer to put it in a different Mountaineer. What needs to be done to the engine while it is out? For instance, if there is a gasket that always fails, I want to replace it while the engine is out. If there is a particularly difficult upgrade that you might want on your explorer/mountaineer that is far simpler if the engine is out, please tell me. I am considering headers if the funds are there, but mostly I just dont want to get the engine in and then having some foreseeable problem pop up and then have to pull the engine again. Thanks for any help you can muster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine?

If it's a 5.0l, water pump and timing chain cover gasket, rear main seal. New valve springs, timing chain and/or a new cam if your up to it.

What’s the mileage?

If you can find a 302 HO cam, that will be an upgrade that won't upset the computer tune at all. The timing chains and oil pump should be first priority, plus the gaskets. Install the best valve cover gaskets, the thick steel wit rubber lining version, from 92 302 HO Mustangs, about $20 each. If you have time, have the lower intake ported by Tom Moss, or buy one already done, about $150, or $200 if he welds on it first.

If the engine has high mileage, I'd replace the valve springs too, and if you knew it used much oil(not leaked, ate), then do the valve guide seals also, or rebuild the heads which is a bigger deal.

Thanks for the input. The engine has 156,000 on it and I am trying to keep it on a tight budget ( I will likely fail). I does not burn any oil and we have owned it for 17 years it has been well taken care of engine wise. The kids were hard on the interior and exterior. The temptation to tear it completely down and build it back up is very strong, but I already have a project truck and I cannot make this into another project from a financial standpoint. So I have heard oil pump, gaskets ( will probably just do most of them), timing chains, valve springs, and rear main, on the primary list (oh and water Pump) Secondary would be a cam and headers (porting the intake just feels like a bridge too far for this setup). I may rebuild the knocking engine over the next year or so, that is when I can get a little more aggressive on the upgrades. Thanks for the input and keep it coming, the goal is next week. Any gaskets I should stay away from?

Considering the mileage (which is fairly low for the 5.0L) to keep the costs low and change the things that can give you probs later and are harder to change with the engine in - Water pump definitely, rear main seal, valve cover and intake manifold gaskets, plugs and wires, maybe cam synchronizer (stay w/Motorcraft for this part), PCV valve. As said, if donor engine is a 97-98 passenger exhaust header tends to crack as well as the EGR tube, oil pump maybe, timing cover gasket and seal.

okay well I have had about 20+ explorer 5.0 on an engine stand and stripped them down to the long block.
Rarely and i mean rarely do they ever need an oil pump. Now the oil pump pickup tube needs to be cleaned, but I almost never see a worn or bad pump. Its a pretty stout design.
The front timing cover, oil pan gasket and dipstick tube are the 3 big leakers on these engines
The rear main seal also a leaker, but it wills tart to leak right away because the 5.0 has a cat converter right under the dang bellhousing.
Lower intake manifold gasket should be replaced for sure = valve cover and upper plenum gaskets at the same time.
Cam synchros dry up quickly in junk yard engines and should be soaked in oil and or replaced / inspected
EGR tube needs a good inspection and or replace. Exhaust manifold gaskets always need replaced the 5.0 trucks like to lose bolts and or blow out these gaskets
OIl filter to engine mount O ring should be replaced.
Re seal all sensors, oil pressure, coolant temp, etc
Check crank damper for cracked rubber in bushing
Clean out all carbon and gunk, taking the oil pan and valve covers off your engine will give you a great idea of how it has been maintained and the engines current health.
Re seal with all new Fel Pro gaskets (or Mahle or victor Reinz or your fav gasket set), test and bench clean the injectors, new injector O rings, new AC system O rings, etc
You will know alot about your currrent engine after its on a stand and stripped down

Back