Best replacement Battery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best replacement Battery

Coolhand20th

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Xlt
For our Explorers, I know most Fords use a 65 series battery and it is time to replace the battery that came with my 2003 4.0 Explorer when I bought it in Sept of last year. It is a Interstate with 650 CCA and I am looking to go bigger for a couple reasons like the weather I deal with in the winter.

Now I do use a battery maintainer from Schumacher that is permanently installed that I can just plug in when I it is going to be below 20 degrees out overnight. I've looked at a few brands but the 2 I have settled on are the Duracell that is 1050 CCA at 32 degrees and then 850 at 0 degrees from Sams Club or the Everstart Maxx from Walmart that is supposedly 1000 CCA at 32 degrees and then 850 at 0 degrees.

What have some of you used for your replacement batteries? I don't want to go Optima or extreme high end but something with those kinds of specs that I can get 4-5 years out of hopefully for the 95 to 120 dollar range. I wish I could afford a Odyssey but yeah that isn't happening.

Also when I do this I am getting 2 as my dad's 2005 Freestar needs a new battery as well any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like Exide--which I bought a year ago from Menards in Michigan--and Interstate purchased from Costco. But I've noticed that Menards has since switched to another brand (maybe AC Delco?).

I have heard good things about the Duracell ones. I looked at them, but the closest dealer is 80 miles away from me.

I think using that Schumacher battery maintainer will help whatever battery last longer, if you could use it whenever you could, besides just when it is going to be cold. I am rarely driving my Paseo nowadays, and the battery would be so low that it would not even crank. I now keep a Battery Tender maintainer on it. When I first started using it, I noticed that it would keep a charge longer than usual.

I am using the Duracell from Sam's Club. It is not actually a Duracell, but it is made by Deka. So far so good. Saved quite a bit of money as well. :)

Yep Duracell/Deka is East Penn the Evermaxx just a re-branded Engergizer according to the MSDS and owned/built by Johnson Controls. So its just a matter who has better luck with batteries ones made by East Penn or Johnson Controls. There is only 4 car battery makers but there is one I won't touch which is Exide all their batteries are made overseas and the only thing they do here in the states is recycling plants. -

Most batteries you'll find at the big box stores and auto part stores are manufactured by Johnson Controls in Mexico. They are just marked differently for the specific store.

I always buy the cheapest battery with the best warranty and that always seems to be Walmart. 3 year free replacement warranty and 5 years prorated. I average 4-6 years out of my Walmart batteries. No reason paying more for a brand name when they are all basically the same exact thing!

No need to worry about a battery maintainer. 20 degrees is nothing. I’ve never had an issue down to -30. Running a Duracell now. Their lawn mower batteries are awesome, mines on its third season and I don’t remove or charge it over the winter. Started up after 3 months of sitting with no issues.

In Canada, for best Value I like Costco batteries. Best warranty going, period.
Best battery these days is probably the Northstar or Odyssey.
The NorthStar carries a crazy price (More than Odyssey)

I'm currently running a Optima Red Top. Its been about a year now, with no issues. Although, I hear quality has dropped (even at the time I bought mine).

No need to worry about a battery maintainer. 20 degrees is nothing. I’ve never had an issue down to -30. Running a Duracell now. Their lawn mower batteries are awesome, mines on its third season and I don’t remove or charge it over the winter. Started up after 3 months of sitting with no issues.

Yes but I get nights where it is -30 to -50 out here in Wisconsin. Wind Chills can be like that as well with temps for days on end around 0 or below zero. I don't drive much and tbh that battery maintainer is what saved my Jeep with its pos interstate otherwise it would never start. For the 35 bucks it cost me it is worth it especially for not driving for days and days on end. Sometimes up to as much as 3 weeks unless we get a snowstorm.

Yeah I don't belong to Costco we did as a family but the cost for a membership was waaaaay too much anymore being around 60 bucks maybe more. With as much as we go to those stores maybe 6-9 times a year when we stock up it is cheaper for us at Sam's Club plus they have more of what we like there. But yes I've heard good about Costco batteries before.

Sounds like me and my dad can't lose with either one. Just a matter of getting the money together now. Thanks everyone!

In Canada, for best Value I like Costco batteries. Best warranty going, period.
Best battery these days is probably the Northstar or Odyssey.
The NorthStar carries a crazy price (More than Odyssey)

I'm currently running a Optima Red Top. Its been about a year now, with no issues. Although, I hear quality has dropped (even at the time I bought mine).

Yeah I would like to buy a Odyssey but I don't have 300 dollars for a battery. I wish I did as those are great batteries with even better warranties. Yeah the Northstars are crazy in price but can't go wrong with those or the Odyssey's. Just wish they would come down in price!

Back