• Register Today It's free!

driving me crazy

Mike dyche

Reaction score
City, State
Iola
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer Eddie Bauer
hello hopefully you guys can help me work this out. First off im working on my 2003 eddie bauer 4.6l 2wd explorer. ok the problem is intermintent but there are times the truck will run like its fresh off the showroom floor and then there are times when it will fall flat on itsface. it will idle really rough and when i go to take off it will lose all power normally i can let off and give it gas agian and it will go but i usally have to give it half throttle or more and it seams like the problem disappears between 2500 and 3000 rpm above 3k it runs great like a rocket i have checked vacuum brand new plugs checked coils 63 psi on the fuel rail new intake gaskets also have used spray to check for intake leaks cleaned maf checked air box and air tube for leaks i deleted the cat it was plugged (runs better since i did this) i do have a small exhaust leak but im going to fix that today. im running out of ideas and i asked the ford mechanic what else i can do and he didnt know. also all codes are o2 sensor related because of no cat any help would be great thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a scanner that will show live engine data while the engine is running and while you are driving, and preferably data logg so you can look at the data after the problem happens again (intermittent),
this will help narrow it down to what sensor or electrical part is malfunctioning.

You need to get your cat fix first. And clean your o2 sensor

Get a scanner that will show live engine data while the engine is running and while you are driving, and preferably data logg so you can look at the data after the problem happens again (intermittent),
this will help narrow it down to what sensor or electrical part is malfunctioning.

Yep and you need to get Forscan as well. Use Forscan on your phone or PC with a scanner that will work with it. That should be able to show and do everything like the member above posted.

As far as his cat goes to the member above me, he deleted the cat so that doesn't come into play anymore. As far as his 02 sensor goes Forscan will show what those are running at without necessarily just replacing 02 sensors. As far as cleaning 02 sensors that never really works at least not from what I've seen or heard from multiple shops over the years.

Back