2006 4.6L V8 Eddie Bauer Towing Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 4.6L V8 Eddie Bauer Towing Question

Richdem

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Edge SEL
Hi All,

I am considering purchasing a used Explorer to tow our 19 FT Travel Trailer, Dry weight 3,400 lbs Gross weight 4,600 lbs.

I have found a really nice 2006 4.6L V8 Eddie Baurer. The owner told me the vehicle had a factory tow package, I did some research on how to check this and found out the info was printed on the VIN sticker. I have a photo of this and the axle code is 45 which I believe is Open 3:55. From the reading I did I thought for the factory tow package to be installed an axle code of 46 (3:73) was required.

It is rather confusing so I thought I would check here to see if I could be pointed in the right direction. The Explorer has a Ford hitch with a rating of 7,000 lbs / 700lbs WDH & 5,000 lbs / 500lbs weight carrying. I will be using a Husky weight distribution & Husky sway control bar. I know the hitch can be added after the fact and just because the hitch is rated at 7,000 lbs if the vehicle is not properly equipped it doesn't mean I can tow that.

If everything does work out looking at the numbers and the vehicle specs this should be a decent tow vehicle for us. We do not intend getting anything larger than this trailer and really do feel that a full size pickup truck is a bit of an overkill.

Would love to hear your thoughts

Regards

Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All of the V8 Explorers in this generation had the 3.55 rear end. It was the V6 models that got the 3.73 with the optional towing package - otherwise they got the 3.55 also. If yours has the class V hitch on it then you should be good to go.

All of the V8 Explorers in this generation had the 3.55 rear end. It was the V6 models that got the 3.73 with the optional towing package - otherwise they got the 3.55 also. If yours has the class V hitch on it then you should be good to go.

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a picture of the sticker on the hitch and it says it is a Class III/IV

The stickers says with a weight distribution hitch the max trailer weight is 7,400 lbs and the max tongue weight is 740 lbs (I just looked at the picture I have again)

Yep as long as it had the 2" receiver it has the factory tow package. It also gives you a pre-wired 4 and 7 pin trailer connector and pre-wiring for an electric brake controller. It also has an external transmission cooler. If you do buy one and go to hook up the brake controller the connector is under the dash near the steering column not on the passenger side like most online guides say. It was on the passenger side for the 02-05 Explorer, not for the 06-10 Explorer.

Yep as long as it had the 2" receiver it has the factory tow package. It also gives you a pre-wired 4 and 7 pin trailer connector and pre-wiring for an electric brake controller. It also has an external transmission cooler. If you do buy one and go to hook up the brake controller the connector is under the dash near the steering column not on the passenger side like most online guides say. It was on the passenger side for the 02-05 Explorer, not for the 06-10 Explorer.

There is a 7 pin trailer connector, it has a "Reese Towpower" cap on it. That did make me wonder if the hitch was added after the vehicle was delivered which started the investigation on whether or not it had a factory tow package installed.

I do have a brake controller installed in our 2014 Edge from when we had our tent trailer. Hopefully I can just get a replacement wiring harness or maybe if I am really lucky it will be the same lol

I feel a little more comfortable about this vehicle, I am going to go and have a look. Hopefully it is as clean as it looks in the pictures

Reese Towpower ?

Can you post a picture of the setup ?
Is the 2" receiver below the factory receiver ?
I have 06 v8 Eddie Bauer and I do not have Reese sticker anywhere.

PS: I towed a 22 footer with mine and it did very well.

Reese Towpower ?

Can you post a picture of the setup ?
Is the 2" receiver below the factory receiver ?
I have 06 v8 Eddie Bauer and I do not have Reese sticker anywhere.

PS: I towed a 22 footer with mine and it did very well.

Here you go,

For some reason I cannot get the pic of the VIN sticker to rotate lol

DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
DSC_0016.JPG

My apologies - I don't know where I pulled the class V from. It is a III/IV. I think the standard one is a II.
The label looks right but the Reese connector is throwing me off. I believe mine is mounted on on the hitch itself, not below it. Mine also came with a 4 pin connector under the 7 pin. I guess it's possible that it was rewired at some point but it does look suspicious. Maybe they changed the design between 2006 and 2007. I would inspect it closely.

I'd like to see a picture of the 2" receiver and the underside of receiver area. Mine looks different from what he posted. I also think based on the GVWR on the label he posted I don't think that one has the tow package but I'll have to check the GVWR on mine to be sure.

Here's a picture of mine.

IMG_20180603_152133.jpg

I just looked at my 2007 and the label doesn't look like that but they may have changed it from 2006. What do you guys with 2006 models say? I know my 7 pin is just like the picture above but it's a 2007 also.

I just heard from the seller, he text me and told me he went to his local dealer and they were able to determine from the VIN that it does have a factory tow package and that he has the print out from them.

I will need to go and take a look, it's about an hour from me which is why I am trying to do as much groundwork as possible, I have been driving all over the place looking at junk that people are selling as mint lol

It is hard to tell but here is a pic from the ad
6bc4fa47-822a-4428-80e2-b3a2c2ca01fb.JPG

I suggest you do two things from the comfort of your own home.
1. Google search 2006 Ford Explorer brochure. You will find a PDF of the brochure for that year that you can use to see what was available at that time.
2. Go to a site like Autotrader and look at other 2006 Explorers for sale. There are lots of pictures, zoom in and look at the hitch and the placement of the u pin connector.

I've seen a few things out of place but you should look.

I am pretty sure that it has the tow package. I would love to see the picture of the entire bumper and see what's in the hole of the original 7 pin outlet.
That reese connector is an add on. Maybe the car was in some type of collision ?
From what I have seen, all 06-10 with the 2 inch receiver have the same setup with the 7 pin integrated into the factory frame hitch and the flat 4 pointing down.

I am pretty sure that it has the tow package. I would love to see the picture of the entire bumper and see what's in the hole of the original 7 pin outlet.
That reese connector is an add on. Maybe the car was in some type of collision ?
From what I have seen, all 06-10 with the 2 inch receiver have the same setup with the 7 pin integrated into the factory frame hitch and the flat 4 pointing down.
Yep I agree it looks like it does but the add on 7pin is interesting to me.

I went out and looked at my GVWR sticker and it is within 5lbs of the one posted.

IMG_20180709_194845.jpg

Thanks for this,

Some good information. Our travel trailer is 19 ft and weighs in at 3,400 lbs dry. I never travel with any of the tanks filled so I would be very surprised if I have loaded more than 500 lbs on board so the V8 should cope well and maybe the gas mileage won't be that horrific. I did go and look at a 2008 4.6L Quad Cab RAM 1500 tonight, original owner similar mileage to the explorer (190,000 kms) and in very nice condition, does seem a bit of an overkill lol. I really like the Explorer though and will probably go and take a look. The interior looks way more modern than the RAM truck

Yep I agree it looks like it does but the add on 7pin is interesting to me.

I went out and looked at my GVWR sticker and it is within 5lbs of the one posted.

View attachment 160854

Would you be ever so kind and take a close up pic of your hitch and 7 pin connector, this way I have something to compare

The built in OEM bumper hitch w/round safety chain loops in you picture along the sticker on the hitch showing 7400# says you have the tow package. Having a replacement 7-pin added instead of trying to fix the factory one is very common as it is much cheaper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Quad Cab Rams are very uncomfortable in my opinion. That's why I went with 2006 MegaCab years ago. But it was just waaaay to big for my needs, very comfy cruising a highway, horrible in the city.
11 MPG was the norm empty, no trailer. But megacabs are built on 2500 chassis with solid axle in the front so turning radius is about a quarter mile :)
The 1500 Rams are softer but the utility of an enclosed space in the SUV is priceless. The explorer will do everything you need it to do.

Back