badly leaking power steering fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

badly leaking power steering fluid

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

I have started losing power steering fluid at a rapid rate. I can see it dripping off of the frame cross member that the power steering fluid oil cooler is mounted on. It doesn't look like it is leaking from the cooler or any of the connections but I haven't looked while the engine was running.

How do I go about finding the leak?

LMHmedchem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar issue a few years back. Turned out to be a hose.

I can't see anything that is actually leaking. It is not coming from the oil cooler or the hoses from the reservoir. It is something further back. The drip is from the passengers side of the frame cross-member and it looks like the fluid is coming from inside the cross-member. When I look from that side, I can see a metal fitting connected to a hose. This looks like it is going into the main power steering shaft. That area has allot of fluid around it. All I can guess at this point is that the leak is in that area. I can't really get a look at that area with the motor running.

It doesn't look like I can fix this without having a lift to put the truck up on and do some significant disassembly. Does anyone think differently? If I have to go to a shop, what am I looking at for costs here?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

When working in the then-empty bay of my '02 XLS, I stepped on a power steering hose and busted a connection. PIA to find/replace that one.

After I got the truck back together, on a trip South, I noticed heavy leaking from the rack (looked like the area where the high pressure fluid was pumped into) and low reservoir level. Appeared to be a leaking seal. After doing some research (big job, and expensive, to replace rack), I decided to try over the course of several hundred miles some power steering fluids with additives to stop leaks. (And no, I never put this crap in an engine or transmission or even a cooling system.) I learned two things:
  • You can safely run cheapo transmission fluid (almost anything; does NOT have to be Mercon V) through the power steering system. I used old spare gallon some mulit-formula fluid (Mercon IV-compatible + others?) that I had laying around; and
  • Lucas (available at Menard's) was the ONLY product that saved my butt 1.5 bottles of that did the trick.
This was over a year ago, and its been running like a champ (topped off) ever since. Don't be scared, the stuff looks like goo. If you decide you don't have a busted hose or fitting, I suggest adding 1/2 bottle at a time to the reservoir--topped off with cheapo trans fluid--until the leak stops. That way, you keep the mix as viscous as possible while avoiding the leak. Good luck.

Lucas sealed the leak in my power steering system about 11 years ago. Don't add too much at one time, and don't expect it to seal immediately. Add a drop, then drive for a week, then add a drop more. Keep doing this until the leak is sealed. The chemical causes rubber seals to swell so you'll want to do this gradually. I added too much at one point, and my front seal blew out on the power steering pump. I swapped a spare pump into it. Adding too much at one time will cause the fluid to expand too rapidly when it gets hot, and blow the cap off of the reservoir or a seal on the pump.

Well I put in more like a 1/2 bottle as suggested by Drewmcg. Hopefully that won't blow out any of the seals. This immediately relieved the squealing and the shuddering in the wheel. It has not stopped the leak as of yet. I am taking it for a short drive every day and then topping off the fluid level.

How long should I wait before adding more of the Lucas?

LMHmedchem

Mine didnt stop leaking until half way through the second bottle, though I think I did add some regular fluid in between bottles. I love this stuff. Hasn't leaked for a year and power steering works great. Reservoir stays topped off.

Just don't let your reservoir go below the bottom line. Only thing I worried about was the fluid becoming too thick during Michigan winter, which did not happen.

Back