• Register Today It's free!

Water in the front axle?

OneofMany

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia Mountains- Talullah Falls
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 expl 4x4
Guys, I noticed gear oil leaking from my front axle, so I decided to check it out and found it was coming out of the vent tube. I removed the fill plug and gray oil came out. No It didnt go for a swim, but there is a dip on my road it crosses 2 or more times a day and it has rained a lot. It has not had any issues with leaking axle before but I assume an axle seal has to be letting water in, so I guess it could be one of 4 seals? 2 wheel seals and 2 drive shaft seals? Before I tear everything apart chasing a drop of water I wanted to see if someone with similar experiences has any wisdom to share as to common culprits.
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Axle seals or pinion seal would be my guess, but make sure your vent tube isn't cracked near the diff and letting water in.

This is my experience with water in the diff, granted its a 2nd gen, but it still applies.
Message_1517609271622.jpg

i'll bet it is just the breather tube
roscoe

I pulled the wheels and hubs. circlips at the end of the axles are there, so the axles sliding around, opening up a gap in the wheel seal is not the case. I found not water contamination in the bearings either. the boot over the passenger side half shaft is intact. I could not see one on the driver side half shaft. too hidden I think. The seal on the pumpkin looks good either. nothing looks like it has excess play. I guess all I can do is flush as much moisture out as I can and run it.
i'll bet it is just the breather tube
roscoe
You are absolutely right. While jacked up I noticed that the breather tube was leaning forward to where the 180 designed into it was horizontal. I moved it a bit, but it will probably revert back to the position it sat at got many years. I will have to find some fuel line or something and reroute that.
Either way, I flushed a bunch or gray goo out, lubed the front end, re-torqued my radius arm bushings and and happy.
I figure everyone should check their breather tube.

Axle seals or pinion seal would be my guess, but make sure your vent tube isn't cracked near the diff and letting water in.

This is my experience with water in the diff, granted its a 2nd gen, but it still applies.View attachment 160917
Haha just fill her up with new oil and have a go looks like you were driving in a pond

Yeah not so much...the water screwed up the bearings, they were all rusted. I didn't know about it until I pulled the plug to check. It had been sitting in there for nearly 6 months.

Thank you Harvey...

I’d route the hose straight up, and zip tie it to something. I’d also plan on changing the oil again. It’s nearly impossible to flush water out entirely without at least one oil change.

Back