• Register Today It's free!

Knocking when turning right

MRomero

Reaction score
City, State
Ridgewood, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Wondering how many ppl have experienced this? I have a 2016 explorer sport. Every time I turn to the right I get this popping sound like a thump. At one point I even felt like a resistance and the steering wheel turned left a bit. I set up an appointment with my local ford service and I couldn't get anything for a few weeks. Of coarse, the week of the appointment, the thump is gone! I thought it would be worse and it actually just stopped. I'm not sure if the weather played a role as it has gotten really hot here. but I take it in, they tell me they cant replicate the issue, therefore see nothing wrong with it and can't do anything. So frustrating!!! I know the day after my warranty is up the noise will be back along with a nice bill for a few grand!

This happened to me when my Explorer was at 20K miles. It would always happen when the car was at rest first and then a turn to the right made a popping/ rubbing sound. I was never ever able to reproduce with the dealer so I never got it fixed... I think the noise is probably the strut/ strut mount because when I replaced my struts, the noise completely went away.

Wondering how many ppl have experienced this? I have a 2016 explorer sport. Every time I turn to the right I get this popping sound like a thump. At one point I even felt like a resistance and the steering wheel turned left a bit. I set up an appointment with my local ford service and I couldn't get anything for a few weeks. Of coarse, the week of the appointment, the thump is gone! I thought it would be worse and it actually just stopped. I'm not sure if the weather played a role as it has gotten really hot here. but I take it in, they tell me they cant replicate the issue, therefore see nothing wrong with it and can't do anything. So frustrating!!! I know the day after my warranty is up the noise will be back along with a nice bill for a few grand!

I'm very curious to see what fixes yours if it comes back. I'm at 111K and get the same knock, only mine has never gone away and the dealership wants way to much money to trouble shoot it.

Back