“00”4.0 SOHC TICK | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

“00”4.0 SOHC TICK

Cstoliker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Got a small tick in my 2000 Ex 4.0 SOHC. Hopping it’s not the start of the notorious timing chain issue. It is not present during cold start so I don’t think it’s the spring in one of the hydraulic tensioners. The video picks up the noise very well. In reality it’s hardly noticeable unless your listing for it. Definitely louder under the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh I would love it if that’s all it is! My mind allways goes to worst case first. Thinking timing chain cassette or even rod bearing. I’ll look, and check back.

That's not timing sounds to me
Sounds belt related
Remove belt run it for less than one minute
Then you will know if it's accessory or belt related

Got a small tick in my 2000 Ex 4.0 SOHC. Hopping it’s not the start of the notorious timing chain issue. It is not present during cold start so I don’t think it’s the spring in one of the hydraulic tensioners. The video picks up the noise very well. In reality it’s hardly noticeable unless your listing for it. Definitely louder under the truck.

In the second video it sounds like a broken piece in the catalytic converter.A mechanics stethoscope would comfirm one way or another, it's also a good tool to have around for pinpointing noises.

My guess.... tensioner pulley.

But check egr tube also. Just found a hole|crack in mine that made me think the engine was dying. What a relief to find it was easy and cheap repair.

Good luck.

I used my stethoscope on it and found a bad iderler bearing. Unfortunately the bearing noise drowned out the tick. Tick was not present on the heads or block so it would seam it’s nothing major. I’ll pull the belt to tomorrow,check the cat and egr. Thanks!

"That's not timing sounds to me
Sounds belt related
Then you will know if it's accessory or belt related"

Donalds,

Your posts have great rhythm. Like mechanical poetry .... Maybe haiku. Awesome.

Thanks for your help, and Have a great weekend.

;)
"That's not timing sounds to me
Sounds belt related
Then you will know if it's accessory or belt related"

Donalds,

Your posts have great rhythm. Like mechanical poetry .... Maybe haiku. Awesome.

Thanks for your help, and Have a great weekend.
Mechanical poetry lmao

Balance shaft guides? Your truck 4WD?

Back