2016+ Raptor Style Grille and Hella Horn swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016+ Raptor Style Grille and Hella Horn swap

wish they made a badgeless version without the FORD or DOOD...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put my grill on a couple of months back and have had nothing but compliments. Was able to find one on EBay with all the letters, was going to paint it black but the grayish grill matched my explorer hood badge so well left it as is.

No picture.^^

I am installing my grill possibly tomorrow....I was wondering where I can pick up power for the lights....I am not sure if I want to pick it up off the fog lights or if off of when the ignition is on,then off when it is off....can you help??

The non-ford shop that installed mine said we should not use the LED signature light as those wires don't maintain a constant power to keep the lights on, rather they send an 'on' signal and then an 'off' signal later. I can't confirm that, but thats what they said. The foglights had a constant power when on and the wire was readily accessible so we went with that.

If you want independent control of them, you can always wire a dedicated line and put a toggle switch on your dashboard. I didn't want that.

If you want it on whenever the car is running, you need to find a wire thats only energized when the car is on.

Guessing there is not much difference to the 2018 model either that if it says 2017 it will also fit the 2018?
It will not. Just went through this yesterday. Bought grill on Amazon which stated fitment for 2016-2018. Took 6 weeks to get. Had body shop install yesterday. Doesn't fit. 2018 grill is more squared off at bottom corners. Now out $200 install cost. Working on a financial solution. I can't find anyone with a fit for the 2018. Learn from my mistake.

The 2018+ have a different look...
7VxhrsSYb0ZeLFxN1Ua-pAMzL5tYNAQ4jZ_t7tkPeUAAPksC2Jb_pUeeevp1CpxvUiUMsX-u5Zl3nA3Q-lV3D_kOH8KoUyyuZFEomBZJuSoSF9F9pn2Zv_YxLIeLEuwNdyp2RhPefjYMetoVuVSOrhRKFLMzfbIeHCXrlx2rUcxhGAE09XvYUeYslvdTGpavCzzQYO0KwlW983PlKV2AfpntMwn3-LW0ChmwKgRJBmBPi1Vu6aRC5I-bBi6aapi3wnxugLIg846rOFmyraWyqZ8XNwV7kCEiTJ0mWcv_1j_VXy1e2oEdomf3qtMNIVKLfvu3wWGsxL72TLrgd6_8DWgTpqWpdoGAN3_HDpj5v8LY0zAX8ANMkaxh5KM7ZCV_86gEaxCncenq7goexD5207egSy1mTu1-wpq5-SjAjIJ3sfRmGrUZ1ysSDn_3Ptk75rYTnHORQ39sLcaOAlYDGAtgMQOybwHP1Nr4Sqc6ECDws6mO8ZVs-Fwn7E6P-IYtr-hZu6Fx5fZf3L8JV-TPoeka8FJyxgmicK2JBDmEJDy6Fqz_3mmNaysLzlGVZynQ_rWvZvfuNNj0N26THafZcIblOZeSSQ_qjsha1yxQvy3PzlBD5C-LkZ8CUnNjmaLi3eRqVFkz_TNSDyfrgoAEggq4VRhbzVnO=w1410-h1057-no

No picture. Just a small shaded circle with a sort of white 'negative' sign in the middle. How are you posting your pictures?

Peter

It will not. Just went through this yesterday. Bought grill on Amazon which stated fitment for 2016-2018. Took 6 weeks to get. Had body shop install yesterday. Doesn't fit. 2018 grill is more squared off at bottom corners. Now out $200 install cost. Working on a financial solution. I can't find anyone with a fit for the 2018. Learn from my mistake.
Hi Ken. The grille for the 2016-17 Sport is FB5Z-8200-BA and for the 2018-19 it is JB5Z-8200-BD. Always best to check a parts site first.
Grille & Components for 2017 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake
Grille & Components for 2018 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

Peter

So has no one found a Raptor grille for the 2018 Sport?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Guessing there is not much difference to the 2018 model either that if it says 2017 it will also fit the 2018?
There is a difference between the regular and Sport models - I ordered one for my 2018 but it has rounded lower corners, my Sport has square corners. It's frustrating but apparently no one makes one for this model. Jealous of all of you that were able to get this look for your rides!

There is a difference between the regular and Sport models - I ordered one for my 2018 but it has rounded lower corners, my Sport has square corners. It's frustrating but apparently no one makes one for this model. Jealous of all of you that were able to get this look for your rides!
So i ordered 1 as well. Waiting for it to come. But im wo dering has anyone done the swap? I have an 18 explorer xlt.

So i ordered 1 as well. Waiting for it to come. But im wo dering has anyone done the swap? I have an 18 explorer xlt.
As I posted in your thread on this, it seems that the 2018 XLT grille is unique in that it only appears to be for the XLT. In fact, it appears that each trim has its own grille for 2018-19. The grille for the 2017 will fit the Base, XLT and Limited.

Peter

As I posted in your thread on this, it seems that the 2018 XLT grille is unique in that it only appears to be for the XLT. In fact, it appears that each trim has its own grille for 2018-19. The grille for the 2017 will fit the Base, XLT and Limited.

Peter
Looking online at all 18 models. It looks like although different styles that the grill shape opening is exact. Certian sites that sell the grill say it will fit all 18 models except xlt. I dont see the difference in body style between the 18 models. Seems to me each models grill would fit in other models

Looking online at all 18 models. It looks like although different styles that the grill shape opening is exact. Certian sites that sell the grill say it will fit all 18 models except xlt. I dont see the difference in body style between the 18 models. Seems to me each models grill would fit in other models
Perhaps there are other things that make it different. Mounting points, other features. :dunno:
BTW, a 'grill' is something you cook on. A 'grille' is what you have at the front of your vehicle. :D
Happy holidays.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Perhaps there are other things that make it different. Mounting points, other features. :dunno:
BTW, a 'grill' is something you cook on. A 'grille' is what you have at the front of your vehicle. :D
Happy holidays.

Peter
Lol. Yeah. Well ill see if it fits and update you next week. Im wondering if on that ford site they just differentiate the colors of the grilles per model when in fa t they are structually identical. Well find out

Back