No power, Sputters, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No power, Sputters,

paulha

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer XLT 1994
My 1994 Ex XLT all of a sudden acts like it is out of gas and it isn't. Starts losing power and have to get to the shoulder fast. I toy with it for awhile, giving it gas and trying to keep it running the finally it takes of again for a few days. I have pulled the codes but am having trouble making sense of them, and is there some place that I can find out what some of the acronyms are? Codes were as follows:

KOEO: 335,556

KOER:172,136,22

Memory: 211,332

I could really use some help as this is my only transportation and I really can't afford to take it to a shop and get taken to the cleaners. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The code that stands out is 556. Fuel pump relay primary circuit fault – Power / Fuel Pump Circuits

Swap the fuel pump relay under the hood with the blower motor relay. If you are lucky it's a relay going bad, if not check the wires around and inside the relay box.

The code that stands out is 556. Fuel pump relay primary circuit fault – Power / Fuel Pump Circuits

Swap the fuel pump relay under the hood with the blower motor relay. If you are lucky it's a relay going bad, if not check the wires around and inside the relay box.

Checked all the relays, and took relay box apart and relays and wiring is all in great shape. Thanks for the reply any suggestions which direction to look next?

Checked all the relays, and took relay box apart and relays and wiring is all in great shape. Thanks for the reply any suggestions which direction to look next?
Ok, here is the latest, put it all back together. Found a vacuum hose off put it back on run codes again. Still running rough, new codes are:

KOEO: 111

Memory: 111

KOER: 136,172,22

So I'm thinking...fuel filter? Don't know for sure just a guess. Thanks for the reply.
Paul

Replaced fuel filter,run better for a few miles, then had to have it towed home. Ran codes again this time:
KOEO: 556,211
Memory: 332
KOER: 172,136,12

Any help would certainly because I'm on foot. Thanks again

Can you check fuel pressure? Should be about 35-40 psi with key on. I suspect a fuel pump issue. Does the pump run with the key in on position? Unfortunately a relay fails in the contact tips. You can't see those unless you take it apart. A good quick test is to replace it with you AC relay and see if the issue changes.

Can you check fuel pressure? Should be about 35-40 psi with key on. I suspect a fuel pump issue. Does the pump run with the key in on position? Unfortunately a relay fails in the contact tips. You can't see those unless you take it apart. A good quick test is to replace it with you AC relay and see if the issue changes.
Thanks for the reply. I don't have any way to check fuel pressure, however my fuel gauge has never worked, and I did switch the relays with no change...so I am replacing the whole fuel pump assy. I suspect that without a working fuel gauge I may have gotten to the bottom of the tank and sediment. Replacing pump tomorrow so will post results.

sounds like a bad fuel pump
report back please when you know!
Fuel pumps when they get old weak, will build pressure for a bit then overheat and you start to lose pressure....... when driving the fuel is sucked up, the fuel rail is pressurized and the injectors consume however much fuel is needed based on demand (rpm and load) so if you are climbing a hill at full throttle the fuel pump cannot keep up = loss of pressure, sputter sputter miss miss, then you pull over and the pressure builds = starts to run right again. Sounds like a weak fuel pump = good idea to change it out! Of course you are supposed to do some pressure testing and electrical testing before you buy a new pump assembly and drop the tank...but here it sounds like you are on the right track

sounds like a bad fuel pump
report back please when you know!
Fuel pumps when they get old weak, will build pressure for a bit then overheat and you start to lose pressure....... when driving the fuel is sucked up, the fuel rail is pressurized and the injectors consume however much fuel is needed based on demand (rpm and load) so if you are climbing a hill at full throttle the fuel pump cannot keep up = loss of pressure, sputter sputter miss miss, then you pull over and the pressure builds = starts to run right again. Sounds like a weak fuel pump = good idea to change it out! Of course you are supposed to do some pressure testing and electrical testing before you buy a new pump assembly and drop the tank...but here it sounds like you are on the right track
Ok we replaced the fuel pump today, the who assy. Now it won't even start! I can hear the fuel pump come on but no start, even cleared the old codes and still no start. Is it possible to get the hoses on backwards? A friend put it on for me and I wasn't here so didn't see the actual install. So...still no transportation and looking for answers. Also fuel gauge still not working? Also does not seem to be any pressure build . Thank you all again for the help.

I don't know the answer for an explorer but on other vehicles yes.

I've got very little experience, but I do know that the fuel lines can get messed up, at least in other vehicles. I helped troubleshoot, one once, by basically being the guy that knew nothing, and all the "mechanics" were scratching their heads, couldn't figure out why they could hear the pump turn on but get no fuel to injectors.

I asked, maybe the fuel line got put back in reverse... and that was that.

I don't know the answer for an explorer but on other vehicles yes.

I've got very little experience, but I do know that the fuel lines can get messed up, at least in other vehicles. I helped troubleshoot, one once, by basically being the guy that knew nothing, and all the "mechanics" were scratching their heads, couldn't figure out why they could hear the pump turn on but get no fuel to injectors.

I asked, maybe the fuel line got put back in reverse... and that was that.

Went out this morning and it did actually start and run barely, loping and chugging. Ran long enough to warm up so I could pull some codes as follows:

KOEO: 556

Memory: 211

KOER: 412,538,536,212

Any and all ideas or suggestions would be so much appreciated, can't go to my VA appts. till I get this thing going again. Thanks so much.

It definitely sounds like you have a fuel system issue. Hard to diagnose anything without connecting a fuel pressure gauge.

The hoses connections are different sizes, so you can't put them on backwards. I'd check to see if you put the fuel filter on backwards. Those connections are the same and can be mixed up.

As for the fuel gauge, you may not have an issue with the float if it was replaced properly, it may be in the cluster. Also did you buy an aftermarket or a Ford pump? The connectors can sometimes be different with aftermarket units and you have to splice or repin with the old pump connector. If that was done and wired backwards, then the pump would be running in reverse and sucking all the fuel out of your lines.

Back