Hi, 2000 Explorer with no key. how can i start the eng? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hi, 2000 Explorer with no key. how can i start the eng?

2000f51

Reaction score
City, State
OKLAHOMA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Just picked it up at auction and don't have a key. How can I start the engine to see if it's any good?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take your vin and vehicle ownership papers to the dealer and have them cut you a new key, then do the "key re-learn" procedure on the vehicle.

You'll need two keys.

Basically you can not start the engine w/out a recognized chipped RF key. This is because the passive anti-theft system (PATS) disables the fuel injectors if the PCM does not recognize the chip.

Things you can do, but none are quick or cheap solutions.
1) Have a locksmith with the necessary tool to reprogram the PCM to recognize new keys
2) Tow the vehicle to a Ford dealership and have them cut and program new keys
3) Have the PCM modified to disable PATS
4) Go to a salvage yard and get a PCM, PATS components, matching key(s), ignition lock cylinder, door and hatch lock set out of a salvaged vehicle (same year, model and equipment as yours).

BTW - If the vehicle has the V6 SOHC engine, I wouldn't have bought it. Whatever you paid, it was too much and having to sink several hundred more dollars into it just to see if it runs/drives doesn't make sense to me.

You might try looking underneath the vehicle for a magnetic hide-a-key box. Several used vehicles I've purchased had these. You might get lucky.

Basically you can not start the engine w/out a recognized chipped RF key. This is because the passive anti-theft system (PATS) disables the fuel injectors if the PCM does not recognize the chip.

Things you can do, but none are quick or cheap solutions.
1) Have a locksmith with the necessary tool to reprogram the PCM to recognize new keys
2) Tow the vehicle to a Ford dealership and have them cut and program new keys
3) Have the PCM modified to disable PATS
4) Go to a salvage yard and get a PCM, PATS components, matching key(s), ignition lock cylinder, door and hatch lock set out of a salvaged vehicle (same year, model and equipment as yours).

BTW - If the vehicle has the V6 SOHC engine, I wouldn't have bought it. Whatever you paid, it was too much and having to sink several hundred more dollars into it just to see if it runs/drives doesn't make sense to me.

You might try looking underneath the vehicle for a magnetic hide-a-key box. Several used vehicles I've purchased had these. You might get lucky.
YIKES! Pretty bleak sounding. Good luck to the OP!

Agree with Koda. No key is bad news. If its a SOHC I wouldn’t part it out.

Damn guess I made a big mistake when I put in a remanufactured shoc

20180227_134419.jpg

find somebody like me on CL who can sell you the correct PCM, Pats module and matching key...install it all in about 10 minutes and see if it runs
SOHC engines are GOOD ENGINES (just not my favorite) its the maintenance that is KEY (oil changes)
Buying one that you cannot see run, well it better be $100-200 for the truck or you may be losing out.......... the rear axle is at least worth $150 and the cat converters can be worth $150....then their is crush weight, copper, aluminum, tires, battery, seats, etc etc......so yeah I wouldn't pay more then a couple hundred bux (and don't)

The cheapest way I can think of to do this is buy a Ford transponder key on ebay, have a locksmith cut it to match the existing key cylinders, get an ELM327 compatible OBDII dongle and the paid version of Forscan which you would connect over bluetooth or USB to a windows laptop.

I don't know what locksmiths charge for that these days but the key(s), OBDII dongle, and paid version of Forscan would run you about $35 total, assuming you have access to a windows laptop since the other methods of connection to an OBD2 dongle don't allow key programming.

You'd need to go to the Forscan site and request an extended license to use the key programming mode feature, then you can program the key in Forscan. While you're at it, buy two keys as the extra cost to get a 2nd one cut once the locksmith is set up to cut the first would be minimal, plus once you have two keys you can program more without Forscan or anyone else involved, can just get those additional keys cut to match cheaply, just about anywhere that cuts keys.

That plan certainly makes sense to me. The hardest part is definitely getting the first key cut to match the cylinder. Might save some money to pull a lock and take it to the locksmith versus a house call or towing the truck somewhere.

I'mma just say I've had 2 SOHC trucks, one was sorta neglected and allowed to deteriorate to where it was essentially useless as a vehicle, and is now getting V8 swapped on my spare time. The other I gave $400 out what some could consider a junkyard environment and it was a wonderful vehicle and the guy who has it now has had it a year and I saw it last week on the road. I loved both trucks driving wise, they just deteriorate with time and age and neglect. SOHCs are a handful and I do myself hope you didn't give more than $400 tops, since that's the limit on anything like what you have.

The cheapest way though to get the keys working is what @410Fortune said, although I can't help but wonder if you'd have to change the column in the dash since you can't get the cylinder out without damaging anything if you don't have a key.

I'mma just say I've had 2 SOHC trucks, one was sorta neglected and allowed to deteriorate to where it was essentially useless as a vehicle, and is now getting V8 swapped on my spare time. The other I gave $400 out what some could consider a junkyard environment and it was a wonderful vehicle and the guy who has it now has had it a year and I saw it last week on the road. I loved both trucks driving wise, they just deteriorate with time and age and neglect. SOHCs are a handful and I do myself hope you didn't give more than $400 tops, since that's the limit on anything like what you have.

The cheapest way though to get the keys working is what @410Fortune said, although I can't help but wonder if you'd have to change the column in the dash since you can't get the cylinder out without damaging anything if you don't have a key.
Pull the cylinder from a door. Unless somebody changed the locks, the key should match the ignition.

Pull the cylinder from a door. Unless somebody changed the locks, the key should match the ignition.

You still have to pay the locksmith to at least cut and program a chipped key into the PCM again, and if you don't buy the key yourself you have to pay for that too.

Heh, if you want to be REALLY cheap, just take all the pins out of all your lock cylinders, then any blank should work w/o cutting. At first that doesn't seem very secure but the PATS will keep it from starting with the wrong key and how many thieves would see a lock and figure they'll just try the random keys they happen to have on them, with the hope that one works?

Maybe keep a single pin in the ignition cylinder just so it catches in the off position, then you only need to file a key down until it works.

1.- With your VIN, search in a junkyard for a ECU, PATS and key transponder, ALL TOGETHER FROM THE SAME DONOR
2.- Swap the ECU and PATS
3.- Look for a locksmith who have an identical ford key, tell him to do a copy from the start cylinder and put the transponder inside to the key.
4.- Enjoy

^ That would work but there is nothing called a "PATS" to swap, PATS function is all done in the ECU/ECM/PCM, whichever you want to call that module, along with the transponder chip inside the key it is programmed to recognize. The receiver coil in the steering column is not coded in any way, the original in the vehicle can still be reused with a replacement ECU.

Agreed, there's definitely a PATS module behind the passenger airbag that's paired to the ECM. Swapping those two plus a set of matching keys and locks would work.
Ultimately you just need two properly cut PATS keys. The rest is easy with Forscan.

^ Hmm, I may be wrong. Has this persisted through later generations? I could've sworn I read a topic where there was no separate PATS module

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you're correct on vehicles with PATS type E. I'm not sure what year that started on the Explorer, but I suspect 2002 (not earlier for sure). Rangers switched over in 2001.

Back