5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5spdman's slow and cheap XLT build

No biggie, your welcome. Glad it helped.

Side note.....
Test that new bearing on the output shaft, to make sure it doesn't lock when depressing it. The Luk bearing that came with mine did just that, and I couldn't get the trans to mate to the block. I went and got a Napa slave unit, and it had the same bearing on it, and did the same thing. I ended up finding a unit that worked elsewhere. Held me up for a few aggravating days.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, update...

IT'S FINALLY HOME!!!

While it may be home, it's far from done...still have all the wire-brushing and paint to do, half doors (not really counting those at the moment though), and noticed the antenna end of my CB antenna wire is completely broken off, which means repairing or replacing the entire cable.

That and the battery. Turns out, it wasn't just a cold weather problem I was having this winter when it wouldn't start and the battery was flat a few times. Battery has been out this entire time and was dead when I put it in to start it. Charged it last night, and when I went to start it this afternoon; dead, again...

Anyone have recommendations on a good battery that won't break the bank? Not going to Walmart again that's for sure...didn't even last 5 years and I'm not working for $250/month anymore lol.

Interstate Batteries! You can't go wrong!

I am running the Energizer AGM in one rig right now, and it works just fine.

Thinking of trying the Odyssey AGM in the other, as I have been seeing nothing but great reviews for it.

I went to Google and searched top rated batteries, and read through I don't know how many posts. Seems on just about every one, Optima, Odessey and ACDelco were were at, if not right around, the top. Found good reviews on the AutoCraft batteries from Advance Auto Parts as well.

With the exception of the AutoCraft, they're a little pricey for my liking, but with the extra lights, hopefully winch in the near future, and possibly on-board air, I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to buy a yellow top to run my accessories...

On call for EMS this weekend, so I won't be able to go out and pick one up...back to the reasearch I guess lol.

The Bosch AGM's go on sale at Pep Boy's on a regular basis. I was going to purchase them, but I have a custom battery box and they are too tall. Brian1 has them and is happy.

Hopi rez/Navajo rez, them Exploders go for pretty cheap around here. Only thing is some (most) don't have a title. :(

Hopi rez/Navajo rez, them Exploders go for pretty cheap around here. Only thing is some (most) don't have a title. :(

I'm glad the one I found did. Lol.

Well, I looked into all of your suggestions, did some more digging, and some more reading, thinking and more digging. And I think I know what I'll be going with.

I too was thinking of the Odyssey, but only being $20-40 cheaper than the yellow-tops, kinda drew me back away from them...with my wifes car needing tires, my car probably needing tires and for sure needing a new wheel bearing and clutch master cylinder, I can't bring myself to pay over $200 for a battery.

So I looked at Exide AGM. They were cheaper, $169 at Menards (but discontinued and not in the stores near me), but available at Rural King (home and country store around my area, but still a good drive) labeled as Rural King battery, lowering the price to $149. Decent price for an AGM battery, but as much as I found good reviews on them, I also found just as many bad reviews. Brother-in-law also did not recommend them, as they used them in all of their lifts (family owns and runs a man-lift company, sales, rental and service specializing in Condor and Snorkel lifts) and said they had been good, but started having a LOT of bad experiences with them and switched. Exide out of the picture.

I found MANY places online that praised Deka brand batteries, US made batteries owned by East Penn. I looked into them as much as I could. I was hard pressed to find any bad reviews on them anywhere, but was also a little hard pressed to find a price and where to purchase them ($180-200 online, but nowhere near me). The more I searched, the more I read about them also being made and produced by Deka, but labeled for automotive chain stores, and the more I read that although it is not disclosed who for sure makes them, that NAPA brand batteries are made by Deka. Through my digging, I compared the Deka Intimidator AGM battery to the NAPA Legend Premium AGM battery. Everything checked out the same, including the battery casing and even the warning label on top. $168 at my local NAPA.

Wife informed me that a couple at her parents church own a NAPA store in Orrville, about 10 miles from her parents, and we're going there this coming weekend. She thinks my father-in-law can get it at a discount from the guy, so we'll see what happens.

So, to wrap this up, I'll be giving the NAPA Legend AGM battery (Deka battery with someone else's name tag) a go, hopefully for less than $168, and take it from there.

Battery shopping for men, is comparable to, women shopping for shoes. We want it all, but don't want to pay full price for it. lol

I'm just glad you went with something, other then Craptima.

When I got the last battery, I saved $100. I was able to use my Reward cash in my account, while they was on sale for the holidays. Cost me less than $100.

I used to do car audio before the offroad thing happened. all AGM batteries 4 15s(DSS ethos) no wall in my green explorer 2 american bass VFL 500.1's(10,000 watts rms). Best batteries are virgin lead, odyssey, northstar, etc. best value in my opinion are Deka's and the autocrafts from car quest oh! and the energizer batteries from sams club. some other notable companies are juice box, Xs power, exide(rural king makes a rebadged of these for very cheap would look into them). Hopefully I will install my 275 amp high output alternator from my green explorer into the sport!

Well, a few updates.

Battery is holding great, but now my starter is out...that is, I believe it is the starter. Few weeks ago, came out of the woods from turkey hunting and when I turned the key, I could hear the starter spin, but it wasn't engaging. When it would engage, it wasn't enough to start it, but enough to grind against the flywheel....brand new flywheel? Not having any of that nonsense...

I had the starter tested at NAPA, and they said it was fine, but to check the wiring. I've drop tested the voltage for the starting system, and all wires from battery to starter seem to test out fine, but there's always the possibility for operator error. Thinking I may buy a new starter, throw it in, and see what happens...I'm just not going back to AutoZone again for a starter...only been 9 months since I last replaced the starter, which also lasted only 9 months. May also replace the wiring and relay just to cover all my bases...unless someone else has any better ideas.

Biggest news/update, I've started my 1/2 door project!

33714961_633679101935_2467679064849121280_n.jpg

Started with adding the donor doors in place of the the full doors, and then over the course of two-three evenings, I got all of the guts out of the doors. I got a little hasty and broke one glass panel, but saved the other 5, just in case one were to break on an unfortunate wheeling mishap. Will need to remove all of the poor home-tinting that was applied to the windows, although it did aid in the clean-up of the broken panel.

34469340_634042758165_1097414635763531776_n.jpg

After the guts were removed, the doors were marked, and a sawzall was rescued from it's red, 2-clasp holding cell.

34667202_634122498365_2578178312698331136_n.jpg

After cutting, it was noticed that while my lines were the same from driver side to passenger side, I could not 100% replicate the cuts I made on the exterior to the interior of the doors...little bit of extra sheet metal and all will be right as rain. Still brainstorming door handle placement (as I realized late that I was a stupid-head and can't just have interior handles if I'll be covering the openings at all) and how I'll be doing canvas upper doors to cover the now large openings during periods of weather that would not be kind to a vehicle interior or it's passengers. For now, a large tarp with the help of a few bungee cords and some rope cover the openings to keep the weather out. More updates as the project continues.

The lines you cut are awesome. Really like them. Interested to see what you come up with for the latches. I want to build some similar doors soon.

Small update...

Bought a new starter...fired right up. As long as the truck sat in the desert and with the age of the truck, I might think about replacing the wiring for the starter, just to be sure, but all systems are go for now.

Haven't done much work with the doors. Threw some ratchet straps on the doors to pull them together and moved it to the fire hall (aka my big shop lol). Figured with throwing sparks and painting, the fire hall probably isn't the best place to be working on it, so I talked to a friend at my church on Sunday who has a few spaces open in his shop. Yesterday I got the latches put back into the doors so I can get it the few miles to his place. Waiting for weather to cooperate.

Did some thinking on the handles too...one option is to mount the outside handles below the trim (call me crazy, I kinda like the trim, but I think it may be going from both doors and the fenders). Another is to move the rear handles down a few inches, and to replace the front handles with the key locks (if I went that route, I could keep the trim). Anyone else have a few other ideas?

Also got to thinking about replacing the rear quarter glass and hatch glass with metal frame, zip up canvas covers as well...still thinking on that one...not sure I'll do it, but it was a thought.

Well, it's been a while since my last post, and I feel like I've gotten quite a bit done. Looking at it and realizing it's 4 weeks work of work, kinda makes ya think it's a really slow process, but with being on call every other day it seems, I haven't been able to get a ton done. It'd maybe help if I could fit it in my garage, and I'm half tempted to go to Harbor Freight and get one of those tent garages for $189, but it is what it is and I'd be to tempted to take as many breaks as I want if it was at home lol.

I have been basically working on only one door at a time and one side at a time...things went a little easier so far moving from the front door to the rear, so by theory, the last 2 doors should be an absolute breeze. First Item of business was to get the handles relocated. I ran into some headache here in the form of fab and body work that could have been avoided by more pre-planning on my part and not cutting through the insets for the door handles. A few had to be repaired where the rest had to be completely put back together. Need a little cleaning up, but they hold handles. After that, it was finding a spot, cutting into the door, and spot welding them in.

37217189_635889467345_8229642618900840448_n.jpg

Next was getting the interior ready for a handle, adding some support to the inner panel that was welded in, and getting everything linked to the latch (not done in that order, but was in the rear door and will be on the other side.) Support was provided by some angle iron (think it's right around 1/2"x1/2", was what I was given it when I asked them for the smallest angle iron they had),

IMG_20180711_222313177.jpg

IMG_20180714_141004556.jpg

IMG_20180711_222323680.jpg

Linkage for the exterior handle was easy. Link rod was cut in half and a 2" piece of 3/16" steel rod was added to reach from handle to latch. Linkage for the interior handle was even easier. Link rod was bent in the middle and a 4"ish piece of rod was added as a gusset. Front door latch linkage done.

Next was working on capping the void. For this, I went to the welding shop and got 4 strips of 18g sheet metal, 4'x8", one for each door...to bend, I took a scrap piece of 1/4" steel and welded two 6" pieces of pipe to the ends, 1/4" pipe and 3/8" pipe. The plate was held in a vise and with the help of a dead-blow hammer, I was able to get the curves in the cap, larger diameter curve in the outside of the cap, small to the interior...

IMG_20180714_141013518.jpg

Cap was placed on the door and corners were made later. I also ended up filling in the area where the mirrors went. I am planning on using a set of manual Ranger paddle mirrors, as they'll be out of the way of the canvas tops. Mirrors were supposed to arrive yesterday, but tracking indicates it was brought to my town and then ended up back in Toledo....don't know what that's all about...

IMG_20180714_162227514.jpg

IMG_20180615_214547577_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180615_214556685.jpg

IMG_20180615_214605302.jpg

Holes were cut for 2 reasons. Round hole is for the 6.5" Pioneer speakers purchased for the tunes, and the rectangular hole next to it is for access to the latch. Hopefully my arms never get any bigger than they are, as it's a little tight reaching to the latch, but it all works! Have a few spots to cap yet, but the next thing in order for the front door is Bondo and paint!

Next was working on linking in the rear door from the handles to the latch. This proved to be a little more involved than the front door and took more gusseting than the front, but it all works. Linkage for the interior handle still flexes in the middle a little more than desired, so I need to address that before capping the back, although everything was made in a sense that all linkage and latches can be removed from the door like stock and replaced if needed.

IMG_20180719_230545597.jpg

IMG_20180719_230606424.jpg

Interior panel for the rear door was replaced before adding in the interior handle.this was pretty simple and no extra metal was purchased. The panel used was actually made from the exterior door skin panel that was cut out, and once again a piece of small angle iron was used to give the door a little more support and straighten the panel.

IMG_20180719_230838007.jpg

Next work will include finish cap on the front door, cap on the rear and then moving on to the drivers side. Slow and cheap...metal for capping the doors is the thing needed the most for the project (everything else will be frills) only cost about $30. We won't get into what I spent on the speakers and canvas materials (so far) for the upper door covers.

So updates on this thread have not been just updates on the truck, but include things going on in my life. Little less than a year ago I shared that my wife and I lost our first and that the doctors had high hopes for when we might be ready to start a family again. Well, we're halfway there! we are once again expecting a little bundle of joy. coming right after Thanksgiving, so we're pretty excited about that. Work on the Explorer will once again take a bit of a back burner to getting ready for the little one, but also to home improvements as we are also in the process of buying the house we are currently renting...life is hitting fast lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back